PDA

View Full Version : Walnut tables

Christopher Pine
01-22-2005, 8:10 PM
I finaly got back to the shop yesterday and today and have started working on project that I started a couple months ago and has been setting aside waiting for me. I know I am not the only one who does this? :)
I had cut the main parts and glued up the tops prior. So The last couple days I have been cutting mortises and tenons and doing some sanding.. tapering the legs etc. I have dry fit the frames and started to sand the tops.
I am making these end tables from woodsmith Issue number 127.

http://store.yahoo.com/backissuesstore/wsbackvol22.html

I made these tables several years ago out of white oak for my mother inlaw.
These are for LOML to go along with a coffee table I made about year ago.
These as you can see are walnut. This particular walnut I bought for $1.00 a board foot. I know partially why it was this price! This is some of the most twisty stuff I have ever seen. Every cut it would twist or warp.. I have made it work so far. The coffee table is made from same batch. It was air dried walnut.
I am enjoying the process and thought I would as others have done start a thread and maybe that will keep me moving on this project. (It is on my goals list for this year). Many of you are inspiration in how you get things done! So here goes.
There are some additional photos of the coffee table at:
http://tinyurl.com/5elbe

Thanks for looking. Comments allways welcome.

Chris Pine

Ted Shrader
01-22-2005, 8:27 PM
Chris -

Looks like you have a decent start on the side tables. Some of that 'twisty' walnut can turn out to be the most beautiful stuff. It is just a little challenging to work with sometimes.

Ted

Jeff Sudmeier
01-23-2005, 8:38 PM
The coffee table looks great! If the side tables turn out like the coffee table it will be a wonderful set!

Christopher Pine
01-26-2005, 1:56 AM
Got a little further with some hand chisel work on the joint that the bottom shelf goes into. You can see what it is suppose to look like from the drawing and the pictures. Has a small resemblance. Nice to spend time woodworking for a change.
By the way this plan calls for a group of spindles on each side. I am bypassing this feature as I did the last time I built this plan. I just don't care for them.

Chris

Mark Singer
01-26-2005, 1:59 AM
Chris,

Very nice and good explination...well done!

Kelly C. Hanna
01-26-2005, 7:56 AM
Those are going to be very nice. I like the design and joinery. Can't wait to see them finished!

Christopher Pine
01-30-2005, 4:03 PM
Finished up the joints that I showed previously and got the lower rails and stiles cut with the gentle curve. Note: they are not sanded yet so it is rough.
I find myself wanting to be in teh shop but schedule just ahs not allowed that a lot lately. More soon.

Chris

Christopher Pine
02-21-2005, 12:47 AM
I worked some more on my end tables and I discovered a goof! OUCH! Well nothing I can't fix but I tried so hard to get it right then had my mind in clouds when I glued table sides.. AS you can see the inner part of the legs on each table at the back, should have a mortis but not the front of the legs what I discovered today when removing them from the clamps that sat since yesterday when I glued them up is I put two front legs on one side and two back legs on the other! :o I have had similiar instances in the past and you can see my filler glued into the mortise and I will have to cut another at the back of the other side. The mistake will be mostly hidden when the table is done as the drawer will cover it but still frustrating.
Got one whole table base glued up and after I fix this mistake I will glue up the other... Then put drawer rails in and build drawers...
Chris