PDA

View Full Version : 3520B remote switch failure

Faust M. Ruggiero
03-05-2011, 3:00 PM
The spirit finally moved me to install the remote switch on my PO 3520 B. The schematics were clear and the installation was quick. The switch worked properly most of the week. Today I shut off the switch and it would not restart the lathe. I checked for power and loose connections but all was the way it should be. I removed the remote switch and restored the wiring to it's original state and the lathe works again. Has anyone had a remote switch fail in a matter of days?
Faust

Ted Calver
03-05-2011, 3:09 PM
The remote switch on my PM failed after 6 months. I asked for and received a new one from PM which worked well. On another forum someone raised the same issue and the consensus was that the switch was not sealed well and was subject to clogging with dust. I took the faulty switch apart, cleaned it and reinstalled it. It worked perfectly. I now keep the switch inside a Ziploc bag and have had years of no problem service from it. Don't know if this is your problem or not, but it's worth a look.

Steve Schlumpf
03-05-2011, 4:31 PM
I have the same issue occasionally and it's just dust getting into the switch. I usually vacuum it out, rap it on the lathe bed or blow it out with compressed air - depending on my mood at the time!

Faust M. Ruggiero
03-06-2011, 10:58 AM
Thanks Ted and Steve. I will reinstall it and try again. It sure was nice having it the short time it worked.
faust

Brent Grooms
03-06-2011, 12:02 PM
One question.. with the switch installed, can you shut off from either switch?

Michael Mills
03-06-2011, 1:59 PM
I don’t know if it matters or not on your lathe but I installed a remote switch on my Nova. If I use it I can not just turn the lathe back on with that switch. I have to turn that switch on and then turn the lathe on with its normal switch. If the lathe loses power (as with the remote off) it automatically resets the primary switch to off.

Steve Schlumpf
03-06-2011, 2:07 PM
Brent - I have a Jet 1642 and wired in my own remote on/off switch. It is wired in series with the original which means both switches have to be in the 'on' position in order for the lathe to work - yet - either switch can shut the lathe off. Works great for me as I just pull the original switch to the on position, leave it there and use the remote for normal day to day operations.

Faust M. Ruggiero
03-06-2011, 2:38 PM
Mine works as Steve's. Both switches must be on for the lathe to work. That's why I had to remove the non-working remote switch and change the wiring back to it's original condition to use the lathe today. The remote switch is the only disappointment I have with my 3520B. There is a web site devoted to the 3520. One of the threads in that site describes how one owner removed the three switches (on - off, speed control and reversing switch) , extended the wiring and mounted them in their own box. That gave him a full control portable switch. I like the idea and may do the same.......in my spare time.
faust

allen thunem
03-06-2011, 7:51 PM
here is a different way of making a remote switch

You can read about it at the AAW forum.

pretty easy to do

Josh Bowman
03-06-2011, 9:24 PM
Yep, I've had the same problem, I now have the switch in a more dust resistant box. So far it's worked for several months.

Josh Bowman
03-06-2011, 9:34 PM
here is a different way of making a remote switch

You can read about it at the AAW forum.

pretty easy to do

I wondered if you could do that! Looks like a good idea.