PDA

View Full Version : Need Some Feed Back Installing A Slider for the T/S

David Nelson1
03-05-2011, 2:10 PM
I bought this Laguna slider from a fellow Creeker locally a few months back and I'm finally getting around to installing it. My saw is a 3/4 Cab CM that I thought was built differently than a contractors saw. Not the case. The slider came off of a Delta cabinet saw with 30 inch deep table.

The first obstacle was to mount the slider. This proved impossible due to the thickness of the top 1 3/4 vs the total of the slider 2 1/2. There was no edge distance to drill and tap for new bolts and the thickness would have mandated bolting with nuts, no access to the middle of top without removing it so that was out.

Only other idea was to make an adapter and pick up the original bolts that held the wing on. I used a 1x2x27 bar stock of 7075 aluminum. I picked up the existing bolt pattern and counter bored the recess to for 3/8 Allen socket fastener. The existing hardware was 6mmx1.0 pitch so longer bolt where in order.

My hope was to improve accuracy as well as the ability to cross cut larger material. After many hours of measuring the adapter, table saw, and slider trying to find the sweet spot I measured the total travel to find it was 49 inches. I finally accepted that I'm just a bit short so I looked at the stop for forward travel. If I moved the stop 3 inches I could cross cut a full sheet of plywood.

Any opinions as to why this is not a good idea? I plan on calling Laguna Monday but don't expect to get a green light due to liability.

David Nelson1
03-19-2011, 3:54 PM
No help needed. Got everything installed and squared up, works perfectly. I was having a brain cramp thinking the fence had to clear the back side of the saw blade to cut 48 inches. I lost a quite a bit of time (and sleep) over that.

Mike Heidrick
03-19-2011, 4:28 PM
Looks great!