PDA

View Full Version : Shop Cleaning Saga #1

Dick Wilson
03-05-2011, 1:45 PM
Well, after a pot of coffee this morning to bolster my body and mind I ventured down stairs into the pit of doom. I almost went back upstairs and kicked my dog. Four hours later I have maybe 1/4 of the shop "clean" ---and that was the "clean end" ----(ghost webs out of the floor joist, benches cleaned off, organized and floor vacuumed. Ya know, it was amazing how much stuff I had on the benches that I couldn't tell you what the h..l they were for:confused::confused::confused: I did find a couple of things that I didn't think I had so I bought again at Lowe's:mad::mad::mad:. Now I am getting into the serious crapola so the dog better hide:D

Roger Chandler
03-05-2011, 2:05 PM
Congratulations Dick........when you get it done, you will feel like a new man, when you go to do another project. Nothing like a clean slate and a fresh start!

Steve Schlumpf
03-05-2011, 2:16 PM
I remember the photo of your shop - and I understand why you may have been putting it off! You will enjoy it once cleaned and hopefully will continue to find tools and parts that you have long forgotten about! Have fun!

Brian McInturff
03-05-2011, 2:25 PM
Just have to learn to look at it from a different perspective. It's like Christmas when you find things you had forgotten about!

John Keeton
03-05-2011, 3:20 PM
Dick, please don't hold this against me!!:o;):D

Dick Wilson
03-05-2011, 4:11 PM
Dick, please don't hold this against me!!:o;):D

What did you do?

bob svoboda
03-05-2011, 4:15 PM
Oh man! You're going to wreck a perfectly good shop? :D

Chip Sutherland
03-05-2011, 5:07 PM
I dream of a nice big white shop with a place for everything and everything in it's place. I dream of hiring someone from the Container Store to organize me. :eek::eek:OOPS....that's not me....that's my wife dream.....:D

My shop wouldn't be filthy if I could figure out a foolproof way to keep that really, really fine sanding dust from accumulating.:( And yes, I do have a vac setup at the lathe. About twice a year, I put on the filter mask and the hepa/micron filter and suck up whatever I can reach with my vac and wand attachments which takes about 4hrs. I don't worry about the chips around the lathe. When I start slipping on them or they start piling up in my shoes...I will at least sweep them up. I give them to my BIL for his garden. He gets whatever I turn. I've told him about some of the toxicity issues. His problem.

My sin is clutter. I have so many projects going at a time and doing or playing with so many techniques, embellishments, dyes, tints, piercing, pyro, scorching, painting, carving, etc. I just never get around to putting things away into they are in my way.

John Keeton
03-05-2011, 6:10 PM
What did you do?I figured my post on the sanding storage, and the follow up comments in that and another thread goated you into a cleanup!!:D But, sounds like this is just a case of self motivation!

David DeCristoforo
03-05-2011, 7:04 PM
My "rule of thumb" use to be that on the day I tripped three times walking across the shop, work would stop for a cleanup. Now that my shop is in a small tent, I have been rethinking my situation. I may change the "trigger" to the day I can't walk in at all!

Dick Wilson
03-05-2011, 7:13 PM
I figured my post on the sanding storage, and the follow up comments in that and another thread goated you into a cleanup!!:D But, sounds like this is just a case of self motivation!

IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT!!!!! You have no idea what you started:eek::(:eek::D:D:D

Dan Forman
03-05-2011, 7:29 PM
If the gall darn things would only stay clean!!!

Dan

David T gray
03-05-2011, 7:34 PM
why do we have no pics ...

Ron Stadler
03-05-2011, 7:35 PM
One thing that helps in dusting things off if you work out of the garage like I do is use your leaf blower and open up garage door and let-er rip, I don't think I would try this on an inside shop though ( your other half might band you from the lathe )

charlie knighton
03-05-2011, 9:11 PM
Dick and John, still have not felt the urge for any more cleaning than usual, but i do feel that you will resort to normal, the question is what is normal for you

Bernie Weishapl
03-05-2011, 11:29 PM
Dick I quit worrying about it. I get it cleaned, then start turning and it gets just as dirty as when I started.

Steve Campbell
03-05-2011, 11:34 PM
I used to make a lot of wood models of cars and trucks. The only problem with that is that you create all kinds of little left overs. My biggest problem is I still see all those small pieces as something that I will use someday. It would take me a long time just to get rid of that kind of stuff.

David if my shop were in a small tent, I'd just move the tent. It's a lot less work

Steve