PDA

View Full Version : Spalted Ambrosia Maple Bowl

Donny Lawson
03-05-2011, 12:06 PM
Well, this bowl was also in my shop fire but was still roughed turned so it wasn't as hard to finish. The inside took some time to figure out but other than that it turned out well. I finished a lid with it but I'm getting mixed reviews on it. I can always use the lid for a future bowl. No big deal.
Donny

Steve Schlumpf
03-05-2011, 2:17 PM
Donny - really like the bowl but have to admit that I am not a big fan of the lid. Just one opinion! Looking forward to seeing your next turning!

John Keeton
03-05-2011, 2:27 PM
Donny, the bowl finished out very nice. I think it shows better without the lid. Beautiful wood!

Roger Chandler
03-05-2011, 4:41 PM
Nice bowl Donny............great wood and finish. I am ambivalent on the lid.

Jim Burr
03-05-2011, 6:44 PM
I don't know Donny...bowl shape is cool, but the gloss finish isn't my favorite. I'm wondering how you got the undercut done...very tricky!!

Ron Stadler
03-05-2011, 8:27 PM
I don't know Donny...bowl shape is cool, but the gloss finish isn't my favorite. I'm wondering how you got the undercut done...very tricky!!

I have to agree with Jim here, the gloss is a little to much on this form I think, although very well done.

Donny Lawson
03-05-2011, 10:08 PM
The undercut was done with a homemade tool I got from a friend last year. Most of that was done while still green. It cuts alot better that way.

Baxter Smith
03-05-2011, 10:17 PM
Nice shape on your bowl. All the shine in the pictures seems to take away from being able to see the wood quite as well though it may not be like that in person.

Bernie Weishapl
03-05-2011, 11:22 PM
Nice bowl. I agree that the lid does not do it for me.