PDA

View Full Version : Redwood and Cedar

Chris Fontana
03-05-2011, 11:48 AM
I am turning some small segmented bowls for my wife to use as candy and nut bowls for her card group and may turn a couple of others for salad bowls. I am finishing them with Mahoney's oil. I decided to use a couple pieces of redwood and cedar and last night my wife asked me if redwood and cedar was safe since she had just read an article about the natural chemicals in them that prevents rot. I told her I am 90% sure it is but would check. I know redwood and cedar slivers are a lot worse than other types of wood. Any help on this would be appreciated. Thanks.....

Jerry Marcantel
03-05-2011, 11:54 AM
I am turning some small segmented bowls for my wife to use as candy and nut bowls for her card group and may turn a couple of others for salad bowls. I am finishing them with Mahoney's oil. I decided to use a couple pieces of redwood and cedar and last night my wife asked me if redwood and cedar was safe since she had just read an article about the natural chemicals in them that prevents rot. I told her I am 90% sure it is but would check. I know redwood and cedar slivers are a lot worse than other types of wood. Any help on this would be appreciated. Thanks.....

Well, I've always heard that redwood trees are actuall very large ferns... While checking into the hazards of wood, also check into the hazards of ferns..... Correct me if I'm wrong and I will humbly retract my statement... Jerry (in Tucson)

Ralph Lindberg
03-05-2011, 12:08 PM
Safe, as just about any other wood. Some people can develop reactions to both. The "things" that allow both to resist rot/insects are the some ones some people react to.

Ralph Lindberg
03-05-2011, 12:14 PM
Well, I've always heard that redwood trees are actuall very large ferns... While checking into the hazards of wood, also check into the hazards of ferns..... Correct me if I'm wrong and I will humbly retract my statement... Jerry (in Tucson)

Jerry, don't say that redwoods are a fern over on Woodcentral, there are a couple of PhD Botanists there that will (politely) correct you.

Redwood is a tree, it's a member of the Cypress Family and (of course) a conifer

Frank Van Atta
03-05-2011, 1:49 PM
Jerry, don't say that redwoods are a fern over on Woodcentral, there are a couple of PhD Botanists there that will (politely) correct you.

Redwood is a tree, it's a member of the Cypress Family and (of course) a conifer

At over 300 feet tall, that would be some fern!

Ron Stadler
03-05-2011, 9:19 PM
At over 300 feet tall, that would be some fern!

Has anyone seen Fern lately, Holy Crap! there he is, you gotta lay off the fertilizer.

Bernie Weishapl
03-05-2011, 11:35 PM
Chris I have several cedar salad bowls and finished them with Mahoney's walnut oil. On the candy/nut dishes I finished them with wipe on poly.