PDA

View Full Version : Johnson's Paste Wax vs Minwax for equipment surfaces

John Morrison60
03-05-2011, 11:21 AM
I have read many threads reccommending the use of Johnson's Paste Wax for
protection of CI surfaces.

When I first got interested in this hobby (about 5 years ago), I needed to
protect my first table saw, and the only wax that I had was Minwax finishing wax.

I have used it regularly, after using T9 to clean, and have had excellent results -- I think.

Is there any ingredient in the Minwax that would be detrimental to long term use on the equipment?

Should I quit being so cheap, and go get some Johnson's?

Thanks
John

Bret Duffin
03-05-2011, 12:05 PM
I've tried a lot of different waxes. Johnson's just seems to leave the slickest surface for me.

Bret

Ron Bontz
03-05-2011, 12:34 PM
I have both in my shop. 6 half dozen or the other.

Bobby O'Neal
03-05-2011, 1:42 PM
Another vote for Johnson's.

Kent A Bathurst
03-05-2011, 2:11 PM
Another vote for Johnson's.

+1 because it's cheap and available everywhere.

Randy Dutkiewicz
03-05-2011, 9:25 PM
+1 on Johnson's also.

Chip Lindley
03-05-2011, 9:43 PM
IF I ever need wax, I will get some Johnson's! But for now, I am still on my first big can of Butcher's Bowling Alley Wax bought Eons ago! A little goes a long way--unless you are waxing bowling alleys!

shane lyall
03-06-2011, 5:21 PM
I've used both and had similar results. I do think Johnsons lasts a little longer than minwax. Just picked up another can today at blue borg. I thought they were out of Johnsons but it isn't in paint dept with minwax. It's over in cleaning supplys. Go figure?

Bill White
03-07-2011, 10:26 AM
Kinda like askin' if ground beef from a white cow or a brown cow has any different value.
Don't think there's any diff.
Bill

Troy Turner
03-07-2011, 2:10 PM
Can't really say because I was pointed to Johnson's first. And I think that's where it lies. I've used Minwax for other stuff, but never saw or paid attention I guess to their wax. When I asked around about needing something on my tools, everyone said Johnsons.

Minwax is probably just as good, and may even be better, but when newbs ask, that's what they get told.

Howard Acheson
03-07-2011, 2:32 PM
The two waxes are virtually identical. You can use either

Richard Gonzalez
03-07-2011, 11:46 PM
Just don't use any car wax unless you verify it does not contain silicone and you're good. Both Johnson's and Minwax are recommended because they do not contain silicone. The silicone can lead to problems with finishing, and it is hard to clean off completely.

Kevin Gregoire
03-08-2011, 10:31 AM
i had this same problem when i first started, all the mags i read its always showing minwax so i bought a can and it was nasty and liquid/lumpy so i got rid of it
and went with johnsons and its much better, nice and solid.
i had some renaissance wax and i like it best but its real spendy
http://www.amazon.com/Picreator-65mL-can-Renaissance-Micro-Crystalline/dp/B001DSZWEM

Dave Aronson
03-08-2011, 11:58 AM
I use slip-it paste lubricant. it is sil-free and food safe. I bought two jars a long time ago and the last forever.

Cody Colston
03-08-2011, 3:53 PM
I use Johnson Paste Wax...no apostrophe and no ess. :D