PDA

View Full Version : Lets see how this goes

Trevor Howard
03-05-2011, 10:30 AM
Hi all, remember I am a newbie at this and probably are doing a lot of things the wrong way, but how else to learn :D

A bit of background, a good friend and a great Turner wanted to teach my daughter how to make pens a couple of years ago, long story short, she made a few and so did I, then she started noticing boys after I had bought a lathe from him. Me having other priorities the lathe sat gathering dust. About a month ago my friend found out he had cancer and is undergoing treatment right now and doing good. I felt pushed (read "I entered the Vortex") to get the lathe out and see what I could do. As luck would have it I manage to acquire some logs, nothing special, but it was free and I knew being green it would probably crack over time, but it would be good practice. So with a set of Harbor freight cheap tools, a couple of you tube videos later I turned a few things, nothing worth posting.
I learned quickly I was getting tired of changing the pulley for speeds and already had stretched one belt. So I modified it with a DC drive and motor, sweet, now when turning a bowl I can just reverse it and not have to stretch my back to reach over and around the tool rest.
Having several bigger logs than my swing and no Band saw (yet) I took 4 logs into work and had a friend cut them circular at 9.5". I have sealed 3 of them and plan to see what happens this weekend on the 4th one. Should be fun as you can see in the picture I have already evicted one squatter, not sure how many else are in there, I have Windex and kitchen towels.
Wish me luck, I will update as and when I can, I was told the wood is some kind of Oak.
Everybody have a fun and safe weekend, I know I will :D

Steve Schlumpf
03-05-2011, 10:47 AM
Trevor - have fun with it and be safe! Looking forward to seeing the results!

bob svoboda
03-05-2011, 11:48 AM
That sound you hear is you being sucked into the Vortex. Relax and enjoy the ride. Good luck and I'll look forward to seeing your results.

Chip Sutherland
03-05-2011, 12:06 PM
Welcome to the vortex...hide your money...or hide your receipts from you wife. My wife and I have an understanding. I buy lathe tools/supplies....she buys Brighton shoes and trinkets.

As for worms, 16 squatters is my current record. Only a few came out whole. If you feel a sudden wet chill on your support hand up by the tool rest, you probably just found another one...or what ever else is left. Have some tweezers ready. The absolute worst thing I found was a bettle in some mesquite....scared the life out of me because it looked like a hornet out of the corner of my eye as it came scurrying out of it's home...and pissed off, too.

Trevor Howard
03-05-2011, 1:19 PM
Quick update, got to run errands :(

Steve, I am being safe, and this was drummed into me again when a loose piece of bark came at my face shield.

Bob, I don't hear the sound of the Vortex because of the noise of the chips flying :D

Chip, no more critters yet, but thanks for the warning of the wet feeling.

So update,

Learning a few things

1 - need to practice on my chainsaw technique, the bottom was 1" out of level, I got it flat enough and decided to mount it to a face plate. I have seen some of the awesome creations you guys have done, but the size of this has me on a pucker alert.
2 - When loose bark hits the face shield, pull the tool away from the work before jumping, always watch where the end of the tool is.
3 - Pleased I left the belt on when I converted the lathe and did not go direct drive (see 2) the belt allows for a stall factor.
4 - This is fun :D

Hope to get back to it later, no idea how this is going to look, I am winging it as I go.

John W Dixon
03-05-2011, 1:36 PM
Trevor congratulations on being pulled into the vortex. Looks like you are having fun!

John

Nate Davey
03-05-2011, 2:14 PM
Another one goes down. Congrats and have fun.

Ron Stadler
03-05-2011, 9:13 PM
Oh boy another one has slipped into the "Vortex", your gonna love it though and good luck with your bowl.

Bernie Weishapl
03-05-2011, 11:32 PM
Yep he has slipped pretty deep into the vortex. Have fun and enjoy.

Trevor Howard
03-06-2011, 10:03 AM
Getting ready to head back out to it. A large chunk of bark came off last night which left me a couple of choices, smaller diameter and deeper, or large diameter and shallower. I've decided to try and go with the larger diameter. Who knows it may end up being a platter :D

Bill Bolen
03-06-2011, 11:07 AM
Looks like red oak and a mighty hard wood for turning! Why not pop the bark off with a putty knife first. I usually remove the bark if it will come off that is unless I'm doing a natural edge bowl. Bark will also dull your tools faster than bare wood. All the sand an bits of pebbles take the edge off the tool fast. Good luck and have fun...Bill...