PDA

View Full Version : My 21st Century inspired bench!

James Williams 007
03-05-2011, 3:36 AM
I have in the past few years learned the value of hand tools and now I would much rather use them than all of my big iron tools. I spent some time and collected and restored hand planes, saws and then I realized I was missing the most important tool, a bench! Then one day I picked up the Popular Woodworking and saw the 21st Century workbench and I loved the way the bench was put together. In the end I couldn't bring myself to do the split top but I like the idea behind the design. I would like to thank Robert Lang because I learned a great deal from reading his article and studying his bench design. I pushed myself on this project trying mortise and tenon joints for the first time and the stretcher design was fun also, a keyed through mortise and tenon. I almost attempted a draw-bored mortise and tenon for the short stretchers but I was afraid the SYP would split too easily. My thought on putting the keyed through mortise and tenon on the top and bottom was that if or when the wood moved and the joints became loose I could reach down and give the wedges a few taps and the bench would be rock solid again and if I ever have to move it I can break it down in a few minutes. The primary wood is SYP and the secondary is black walnut. I did the walnut on the edges and on the vise because I figured this is where it would get the most abuse. The top is 4" thick and it is 7' long and 30" wide. Critique and comment please. :D

Leigh Betsch
03-05-2011, 4:01 AM
I like it. It doesn't look over done like some benches. No end vise?

Terry Beadle
03-05-2011, 10:43 AM
I like it too ! Very clean design and well thought out. Being able to tear it down quickly and restore stability is a great idea. I used M and T on mine but used a bolt to provide stability tension.

I couldn't tell by the pictures so I was wondering if the front of the work bench is flat or all in plane as per roubeau design?

Are you going to add a planing stop on the end?

I'll be interested to see how SYP holds up over the years. Some SYP is tough as nails and other stock no so much. The walnut is a nice touch for sure.

Great job !

James Williams 007
03-05-2011, 12:13 PM
I will eventually add a twin screw to the end to act as a tail vise. Terry yes the front of the bench is flat with the top so I can use it to clamp to. For a planing stop I am using one made to slip into the dog holes.

Todd Hyman
03-06-2011, 1:06 PM
Nice bench James. I need to building something similar to that. Where did you get the SYP?

george wilson
03-06-2011, 1:08 PM
Looks too nice to beat up working on it!!

Jim Koepke
03-06-2011, 3:10 PM
I wish SYP was available up here.

Looks good.

jtk

James Williams 007
03-06-2011, 8:55 PM
I found some on our loading dock and the rest I got at the Depot. The walnut I nabbed from a neighbors firewood pile, he was about to burn a bunch of good walnut, cherry, and oak!!!
Nice bench James. I need to building something similar to that. Where did you get the SYP?

Jeff Wittrock
03-06-2011, 9:07 PM
That's a good looking bench! Looks rock solid.

Adam Cormier
03-06-2011, 10:10 PM
That is a beautiful looking bench, lovely joinery and a real eye pleaser. I am very interested to see how the SYP will hold up to the years and abuse.

Stanley Covington
03-07-2011, 3:30 AM
Beautiful bench.

Questions:

1. You called the stretcher connections "keyed through mortise." It doesn't look like the traditional connection by the same name, but more like the Japanese version. Is the tenon stepped to drop and lock in place inside the leg when the wedge is inserted? If so, how is that working with changes in humidity?

2. The walnut pieces at both ends of the benchtop are oriented cross-grain to the laminated SYP top, and appeared to be secured with two lag bolts (?) riding in slots. Are these pieces permanently glued to the benchtop at one end and floating throughout the rest of their length? If so, which end? Are these pieces connected to a tenon projecting from the benchtop, like breadboard joint?

3. The right hand end piece (breadboard end?) butts up against the right face of the vice, while another piece of walnut forms the remainder of the surface the vice face presses against. Is this working OK? I would be concerned the difference in expansion/contraction between these two pieces of walnut would play merry hob with the vise's ability to grip across its full width with varying humidity. How is it working?

Thanks,

Stan

Jim Matthews
03-07-2011, 4:24 PM
Rather than a twin screw, consider the Veritas "blades" that drop into dog holes.

Between them, with a batten at the end of your workpiece, they're amazingly flexible.

James Williams 007
03-08-2011, 2:24 AM
The through tenons on the stretchers are done like a dovetail inside the leg and then the wedge is tapered so it creates a strong joint that pulls itself together. I don't know if I have given the correct name for the joinery though which may confuse I will look into it. I wanted an easily adjustable system for the stretchers exactly for the humidity here in GA. If the wood moves I just tap the wedge one way or the other and its solid again. I am going to keep an eye on it the first year but I anticipate that the movement will be across the grain and I left a little room in the joint for this.
The end pieces are not glued at all and just snugged on by the bolts so that the top can move and the tenon will help keep the top flat. I am curious to see how the "bread board ends" work and I had some reservations because I knew the top would move so that's why there isn't any glue involved. I figured if the end by the vise moves I can tap it even with the end and snug the bolts down to keep it even.

Beautiful bench.

Questions:

1. You called the stretcher connections "keyed through mortise." It doesn't look like the traditional connection by the same name, but more like the Japanese version. Is the tenon stepped to drop and lock in place inside the leg when the wedge is inserted? If so, how is that working with changes in humidity?

2. The walnut pieces at both ends of the benchtop are oriented cross-grain to the laminated SYP top, and appeared to be secured with two lag bolts (?) riding in slots. Are these pieces permanently glued to the benchtop at one end and floating throughout the rest of their length? If so, which end? Are these pieces connected to a tenon projecting from the benchtop, like breadboard joint?

3. The right hand end piece (breadboard end?) butts up against the right face of the vice, while another piece of walnut forms the remainder of the surface the vice face presses against. Is this working OK? I would be concerned the difference in expansion/contraction between these two pieces of walnut would play merry hob with the vise's ability to grip across its full width with varying humidity. How is it working?

Thanks,

Stan

Stanley Covington
03-08-2011, 3:10 AM
Thanks for the insight. Please keep us informed of how rigid the stretcher joints remain over time and with humidity swings.

Stan

The through tenons on the stretchers are done like a dovetail inside the leg and then the wedge is tapered so it creates a strong joint that pulls itself together. I don't know if I have given the correct name for the joinery though which may confuse I will look into it. I wanted an easily adjustable system for the stretchers exactly for the humidity here in GA. If the wood moves I just tap the wedge one way or the other and its solid again. I am going to keep an eye on it the first year but I anticipate that the movement will be across the grain and I left a little room in the joint for this.
The end pieces are not glued at all and just snugged on by the bolts so that the top can move and the tenon will help keep the top flat. I am curious to see how the "bread board ends" work and I had some reservations because I knew the top would move so that's why there isn't any glue involved. I figured if the end by the vise moves I can tap it even with the end and snug the bolts down to keep it even.