PDA

View Full Version : Different steels in Berg Chisels?

Russell Sansom
03-05-2011, 2:56 AM
First, I am NOT going to advertise the quality of my Berg socket chisels because I don't want to start a run on them. And I hope the bloggers don't get their hands on a set for the same reason. Like many people, I love mine and enough said.

At auction I see mentioned "Berg type 3160" or something like that...can't remember the actual number.
My question is this: I haven't been able to find a breakdown of various types or styles. Do the Berg chisels come if a variety of steels or are people alluding to the "form factor"? Are there, theoretically, good and bad years for EA Berg steel?

Really asking out of curiosity before I throw mine away. You don't want high carbon steel. And what's with those crappy handles!

Harlan Barnhart
03-05-2011, 10:20 AM
First, I am NOT going to advertise the quality of my Berg socket chisels because I don't want to start a run on them. And I hope the bloggers don't get their hands on a set for the same reason. Like many people, I love mine and enough said.

Judging by the prices I see on Ebay, its' too late.

george wilson
03-05-2011, 2:50 PM
The Swedish chisels I have all are too soft. Their edges dubb over way too easily. I have tried different ones over the years,and do not care for them myself.

Russell Sansom
03-05-2011, 5:17 PM
It would be interesting to figure out the difference. For me blade degradation with use has been genteel fractures across my whole set, set up for paring. Perhaps I like a softer chisel and I don't know the difference. For my purpose of understanding the steel while not encouraging other purchasers, I thank you, George.
The cast steel's --- Ohio Tool and Acorns ----- seem to be much harder, upon reflection. Perhaps I just let them take me to the sharpening station in their own good time and I haven't paid that much attention.

Jim Neeley
03-05-2011, 5:32 PM
At auction I see mentioned "Berg type 3160" or something like that...can't remember the actual number.
My question is this: I haven't been able to find a breakdown of various types or styles. Do the Berg chisels come if a variety of steels or are people alluding to the "form factor"? Are there, theoretically, good and bad years for EA Berg steel?

Russel,

The 3160 is the composition of the steel. The leading 3 tells you its a nickel-chromium steel. Specifically, a 3160 contains:

Ni 1.25%, Cr 0.65% or 0.80% and 0.60 wt% Carbon. To decipher other numbers and to validate this information visit http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAE_steel_grades

Jim