PDA

View Full Version : Report from a Whole Shop Auction Today

Scott Coffelt
01-22-2005, 5:37 PM
Myself and a number of SMC'ers were at a local auction. The guy had some serious iron and wood for sale. This was my first auction of this type, though I had been to a number of farmer's auctions. Some highlights:

- Delta Uni Limited with Excaliper Guard went for $1500 (seemed at little high to me)
- Laguna LT24 went for $1300 (ouch), talked to the guy he said his limit was $2500.
- PM 60A Jointer went for $925, I stopped at $900 but sure thunk hard.
- Woodmaster 18" Planer, sander, molder combo for just under $600 (I think)
- Leigh D-4 went for $210
- Jet 2HP DC for $375 (can you say over paid?)
- Big dog General Hollow Morticer went for $575. I stopped at $450.

The guy had about 3k feet of Cherry, Maple, Oak and Walnut. Prices seemed decent for the hardwoods. Folks were paying almost retail for dimensional lumber and plywood.

So what did I buy?
- 120 bdft of Maple, with 8.5 bdft of birdseye in the mix for $250, a tad more then I planned but at $2.00 bdft not bad for local. Boards averaged 4/4, 6"x10'.

- Fein Multimaster VS for $67.50, Missing Manual and wrench (someone spilled it on the table , so that may have gotten mixed with something else). Retails for $199.

- Stabila LMR Rotary Laser (According to the web site it is a new model), I picked it up for $60.... retails for $349.

- I also picked up a 1/2Hp motor for $7.50. Lost out on a few things I wanted, mainly a beautiful piece of B/E Maple 2.25"x12"x12'. It sold for $200, it was at the end and I couldn't get myself to go higher as the gy I was bidding against was not hesitating on a rebid. He paid $270 for a plan maple piece the same thichness and length, but 18" wide. The killer thing is he is going to cut up to may a rocking horse. I wanted it to resaw into panels for my kitchen cabinets. I was sick when he told me. I think he was mad cause I out bid him on the maple stack.

Dudes shop was huge. Found out he was getting a divorce and needed to sell. Shop did not look like he was even done building it yet.

Jim Dunn
01-22-2005, 5:49 PM
Scott sounds like to me we gots ourselfs another shopaholic:) Just kidding I think you did real good on your purchases. Just wish you'd have bought that Bdmaple, makes me sad to think some little kids gonna spill icecream on it.

Ted Shrader
01-22-2005, 5:57 PM
Scott -

Congratulations on your purchases. As you witnessed today, people sometimes get caught up and bid more than the going rate. If they walk away happy, though, it was a good price for them. (You and I might disagree and think it was a high price.)

I have had that experience a couple of times and a friend of mine said he thought I paid too much. Invariably though, later on when we were using the equipment, it turned out to be a pretty good deal - and to his credit, he said so.

Auctions in these kind of circumstances are sorry to see.

Ted

Matt Meiser
01-22-2005, 6:48 PM
Prices are weird at auctions. I went to one where guys paid $50 more (each) for two well used Grizzly DC's than the new price, including shipping. Two unisaws that were sitting in the middle of the floor went close to $1000 each, but the one with a huge outfeed table built around it (with the biggest biesemeyer fence I've ever seen) went for $400. All were single phase. One of those huge commercial edge banders went for only a couple grand. I bought a foot thick stack of hardwood veneer ply and MDF for $50. A stack of melamine about 2' thick went for about $100.