PDA

View Full Version : Olive HF and Bowl

Kathy Marshall
03-05-2011, 1:44 AM
In Miniature :eek:

I actually did finish an Olive HF tonight, but it's soaking in DO so no pics yet. I turned it on a faceplate, so I had a nice little chunk of waste wood left and got to wondering what I might be able to do with it. So in about 10 minutes I had these 2 turned and finished. The bowl is about 1/2 the diameter of a dime (didn't have any change in my pockets when I took the pics in the shop, so you'll have to take my word for it :D )

Fun to turn and quick! Also good use of the little stubs left after turning something else off.
I see more of these in my future! lol
185216 185217

Rick Markham
03-05-2011, 5:16 AM
Very cool Cathy! You need to sign the bottom though:D

John Keeton
03-05-2011, 5:54 AM
Very good form, but the walls are too thick!:eek::D:D I am thinking if you can get them to about .000005", it will look about right with this form!!:rolleyes::D

Neat little piece, Kathy!

Cathy Schaewe
03-05-2011, 9:35 AM
Looks like you're going to have to make a whole set of little dishes! Nice job, can't wait to see the full-size HF!

Bernie Weishapl
03-05-2011, 10:16 AM
Really nice Kathy. Well done.

Steve Schlumpf
03-05-2011, 10:45 AM
They both look pretty cool! Rick already neat me to it - you need to sign the bottom of the bowl!

Looking forward to seeing the full sized version!

Doug W Swanson
03-05-2011, 11:10 AM
I showed these to my daughter and now she wants a set for her doll house. Way to go....Now I'm going to have to buy a microscope to make them.

Very cool!

Michael James
03-05-2011, 7:39 PM
Those are cute! Be careful, that could become addicting. We want pics of the BIG HF:D
mj

Kathy Marshall
03-05-2011, 9:07 PM
Got the Olive family out for a photo opp and some of the neighbors joined in :D
From left to right:
Mulberry HF, should've made the base narrower and had more curve in the transition from the shoulder to the neck. Only has a coat of DO, still needs the final finish.
Acacia HF, I like this one. Hard to see in the photo, but it's got a nice narrow base (just under 1"). It has been soaked in DO and I'll add shellac after that's cured.
Another Pine Bowl finish turned today. This was from the other half of the big pine log. 10" x 5", 1st coat of tung oil.
Lower right corner, the Olive babies next to a dime.
Olive HF, this is one finished. BLO and WOP. It's a little too round. I did this one pretty quick, I just wanted to get into one of the olive branches and see what was inside.
Olive HF turned last night. It soaked in DO for about 12+ hours and I had just pulled it out and wiped it dry before the photo. I think I'll finish with shellac when the DO is cured.
Finished turning another Acacia HF today and it's now in the DO bath.
Still some time left to head back to the shop and see what else wants to be turned. :D

Rick Markham
03-05-2011, 9:40 PM
Those are really nice Kathy! I have to say the two olive hollow forms are my favorites. There really is something spectacular about olive wood, and your forms show that off perfectly!

Baxter Smith
03-05-2011, 10:32 PM
All are nice but I will agree with Rick that the two olives are extra special!