PDA

View Full Version : Help Me wire my new Bandsaw

Andrew Gibson
03-04-2011, 11:51 PM
Hi all. I took delivery of my New 513x2 bandsaw today... still getting it unpacked and put together.
I have a Nema 10-30 receptacle in the garage that I was planning on using to power the saw. Went to the borg and picked up a 10-30 plug, got home to wire it up and... It's not making sense. coming from the saw I have G(ground) White (neutral?) and Black (hot)

The Plug has spots for a pair of Hots (black and red) and a Neutral (white) and no ground.
How am I supposed to wire this thing, and did I simply got the wrong plug...

Any Help is appreciated.

Mike Cruz
03-05-2011, 12:14 AM
If the wires coming from the saw are black, white, and green, the first thing you need to figure out is if this is a 220 only, 110 only, or 220/110 motor. If it is 110 only or 220/110, then in the 110 mode, Black is hot, White is neutral, and Green is ground. I don't THINK it is 220 only...otherwise you would have a Black (hot), Red (hot) and Green (ground). If it is 220/110 and you want it to run on 220, then the Black is Hot, White is Hot, and Green is Ground.

The plug you should get is the one that matches your wall socket. If you have a 3 prong twist lock wall socket, then you need a 3 prong twist lock plug. The TL 3 prong plug will have spots for 2 hots (white and black), and a ground (green). If you have a 4 prong socket, you need a 4 prong plug. In this case, the way your house/shop is wired is Black and Red are hot, White is neutral and Green is ground. But since your machine only has 3 wires, if you are putting a 4 prong plug on the machine's cord, you put the Black and White wires from the machine into the two hot spots on the plug (on the twist lock plugs from HD, this is the X and Y spots) and the green wire from the machine into the ground spot (green). And you just leave the 4th one (on the twist lock plugs from HD, this is the W spot) empty.

Hope that helps.

BTW, your plug HAS to have a spot for ground. The funny/tricky/weird thing is that the ground and neutral wires both go back to the same part of the breaker panel. So, having the 4 wire system is, in a way, redundant. It is supposed to be safer. Not sure why or how, but that's what "they" say.

Andrew Gibson
03-05-2011, 7:46 AM
Thanks Mike, that is a Big Help.
I have a 110/220 moter, and it is wired for 220 from the factery.

What you say for 110/220 is what was making sense to me before I asked the question. It's the only possible option.
both black and white are hot and green is ground/neutral.

Jim McDonald
03-05-2011, 7:59 AM
Andrew
You've got the wiring correct, the green wire serves as both ground and neutral for this 220 hook up. In normal situations, Mike would be right, however on this saw, there is no separate ground.