PDA

View Full Version : Porter- Cable 10" STATIONARY TABLE SAW PCB270TS

shane lyall
03-04-2011, 9:40 PM
Anyone have one? After a full evening of research I think I'm going with this saw. It's on a contractor style mobile base but has an enclosed motor and cabinet mounted trunions. I called my local blue BORG and it's on sale for $550 and they will honor a 20 % off HF coupon! I'll post a review as soon as I get it set up and tuned. I have several P-C tools in my shop and hope this one will live up to there standards.

Butch Butler
03-04-2011, 10:17 PM
I got one of these about 6 months ago and I really like it in my small shop. Having the wheels allows me to move it out of my way when necessary, so thats a plus for me. One note of caution. When you assemble it, make sure EVERYTHING is tight before lowering/using the wheels. I had forgotten to tighten one of the pivot points for the wheel carriage and when I put pressure on it, it snapped the short weld at the mounting point. Not a big deal, but just a PITA to have to re-weld it. The saw performs really well and has some nice features for the money......got mine at Lowe's for $599 less my military discount. Hope you enjoy it.........Butch

Julian Tracy
03-05-2011, 12:35 AM
PC has no standards anymore. If all those cheap cordless combo kits at Lowes haven't convinced you of that, than you haven't looked closely enough.

The only good Porter Cable tools are used Porter Cable tools. That saw, btw, is simply a re-badged version of the "hybrid" Hitachi saw they were selling the last few years. It got decent reviews, but was generally thought of to not be all that great a saw for the money and features. Good luck if you already bought one, but there are definitely better ways to spend your tablesaw dollars.

JT

scott spencer
03-05-2011, 7:40 AM
Shane - I've read mostly positive things about the saw, with a few nay sayers here and there, and have kicked the tires in the stores a few times. The fence and physical layout of the saw look remarkably similar to the discontinued Hitachi C10FL that was also available primarily thru Lowes. My understanding is that the guts are a bit different to accommodate the riving knife. AFAIK, this saw is a big departure from anything else PC or Delta has marketed. The fence looks to be functional, but isn't at the level of a steel Biese clone IMO. The "cabinet mounted" trunnions are worth a mention, because they're not the large yoke style that most of us think of when we hear the term cabinet mounted trunnions. Instead of spanning the corners of the cabinet where they're accessible from outside the enclosure, the trunnions mount to the front and rear struts of the cabinet, similarly spaced as table mounted trunnions....I'm not sure they're any easier to reach than table mounted trunnions. I can't predict how well they work or don't work, but is the type of thing I'd want to be aware of before purchasing. There's a user review (http://lumberjocks.com/reviews/1693) on LJ's that might be worth a read.

Good luck with your decision.

glenn bradley
03-05-2011, 9:45 AM
The fence seems to take a bit of heat in the user reviews. There are mentions about plastic gears for the blade adjustments but, it seems to be just an observation, not a complaint. The thin insert will make constructing your own ZCI's a bit challenging but, doable. I used Pergo scraps when I had a saw with a thin insert like that, no worries. Most folks seem mostly positive but, there are few long term owners.