PDA

View Full Version : Wolverine sharpening system

Steve Vaughan
03-04-2011, 9:26 PM
Question and looking for opinions. I've been looking into getting the Wolverine sharpening setup. What the pros and cons between the original vari-grind attachment and the vari-grind 2? Is the vari 2 worth the extra bucks? Does one have greater benefits over the other?

Bernie Weishapl
03-04-2011, 9:36 PM
I don't like the vari-grind 2 but that is just my opinion. I don't think it is worth the extra bucks IMHO and has no greater benifit.

Fred Belknap
03-04-2011, 9:49 PM
Steve I have the Vari-grind and it works fine. I'm not familiar with the vari-grind 2 but what I have read it keeps one from running off the side of the stone. I don't have a problem with that, not saying I never did run off the side, but it didn't seem to do any damage.
Someone else might know more about the Vari-grind 2.

Cathy Schaewe
03-04-2011, 9:56 PM
I have the VG2, and like it just fine. I think it's one of those learning curve things. Once you practice a bit, the VG1 probably will do a good job, but there's a wee bit more of a learning curve than with the VG2.

Roger Chandler
03-04-2011, 9:56 PM
Steve,

I think the original vari-grind does just fine. If I were going to buy again, then I would get the original again also. Just my $.02!

John Keeton
03-04-2011, 10:00 PM
When I made this decision, I researched the various threads on the creek, and the vote goes heavily to the original. While I have never used the Vari-grind II, I wonder if it will permit the wings of a gouge to be swept back as far as the original will permit. Seems if the II is designed to hold the tool in the center of the stone, that one would be limited to the sweep that can be ground. I like my bowl gouge to have long wings.

David E Keller
03-04-2011, 10:06 PM
+1 for the original version.

Harry Robinette
03-04-2011, 11:00 PM
Me too for the original, The new one I think is just a gimmick so they have something new.Of course JMHO

Steve Vaughan
03-04-2011, 11:03 PM
Wow! Thanks for all the info and answers. You've really made me think it through and the value of the vari-II. John, I was thinking exactly what you're talking about, and Harry, I wondered about that gimmick thing too. Thanks again!

Tim Thiebaut
03-05-2011, 12:23 AM
I have the original as well, I got it based upon the advice of the folks here and have been very happy with it.

Paul Douglass
03-05-2011, 10:20 AM
I have the original because at the time I ordered, I didn't even know there was a ''2" version. Duh!

Joe Bradshaw
03-05-2011, 10:24 AM
I have both versions of the vari-grind. I use the vari-grind 1 for my spindle gouges and the 2 for my bowl gouges. I have no problem getting a swept back grind on my bowl gouges.

Thom Sturgill
03-05-2011, 11:25 AM
I have the original. I have read complaints that the new one, by forcing you to keep to the center of the wheel causes more wheel wear.

Harvey Ghesser
03-05-2011, 11:32 AM
What John said.

Joshua Dinerstein
03-05-2011, 11:45 AM
I find myself weak when it comes to Sharpening equipment. I see something and I think hey maybe that would help. Not sure that I am... "terrible at it". But I wish I were better than I am. So to make up for a rather sad lack of skill I spend.

I have the original vari-grind 1, the new 2, the Sharp Fast system, the new Sharp Fast flat rest system and the TeknaTool Nova Sharpening Centre. For me the bottom line is they all work. I.e. they can all be used to put on an edge. But some are easier than others. The cost of that ease factor is a reduction in flexibility at the extremes. I.e. if you go nice middle of the road as an arrangement for you gouges then all 3, the VG1 VG2 and SF, all produce the same grind. It is when you want something that could be viewed as non-standard that you see the differences. I.e. if you follow Bill Grumbine's example and as he put it "sharpen the handle" then the VG2 and SF are not what you want.

But at first, and now off and on, I had great trouble with the VG1 not sitting in the pocket correctly. Oh it is in the pocket but not all the way back or not perfectly centered and it would mess up the grind on the tool and need a fairly massive resharpening to correct it. I have thought back over what went wrong for me and I realize that I get too focused on what is happening with the tool right at the wheel. The other things kind of take a back seat and that causes me troubles at times. I have also started solidly in the pocket in the "good position" with the VG1 and had it wander from good to bad as I go back and forth sharpening.

This is where the VG2 and SF come in. They take that ability away completely. The tool goes into the jig and the jig into the base beneath the grinder and now the base is fixed and the ability to have it shift and wreck the setup is gone. So you really can focus just on what is going on right where the tool touches the wheel. I like that.

Personally I use just some very standard middle of the road setup. So wings but not too long etc... Anyone of then work for me.

You might notice that I didn't say much of anything about the Nova system. Why? It is still in the box. I got it first actually but then read that there were problems with setting it up. At that point I found a good sale on the Wolverine and bought it and never got back too it. I would like to honestly but I have run short of time lately with a 2yo daughter and a wife about to deliver twins. One of these days I will get back to playing.

BTW, one nice thing about having so many of these jigs? I set each one up for a different tool, spindle gouges vs irish grind bowl gouge vs traditional grind bg, and I don't have to adjust them just switch them out for the tool I want to sharpen. I got some Accu-Set's from Captain Eddie and putting it right back where it was is easy and accurate.

You really can't go wrong. (Except maybe for the Nova...) But you can find something that works better for your needs and abilities.

Joshua

Peter Fabricius
03-05-2011, 2:23 PM
Hi Joshua;
Interesting to hear your sharening exploits. I have the VG1 and it is all I have ever tried...
On the issue of your jig slipping in the pocket. Try this, set a rare earth magnet in the pocket, up on edge so when the jig goes into the pocket it is pulled back by the flat surface of the magnet... You have to adjust your arm about 1/8" out to account for the space taken up by the magnet. I really like this, it allows me to focus more on the cutting edge being sharpened and swinging the tool handle in nice even strokes and also using the whole face of the grinding stone.
hope this works for you.
Peter F.

Richard Madden
03-05-2011, 4:06 PM
When I bought my Vari-grind I don't think the VG-2 was available, so I can't say anything about it. I'm happy with the original, and to Joshua, I keep the spike in place in the pocket with one hand and have no problems with it drifting. I think Wolverines video shows it being done that way.

Steve Vaughan
03-05-2011, 5:45 PM
Great thoughts everyone. Peter, good idea on the magnet. I think I'll be looking at the original set up when I can catch a sale. WC has the basic system on sale starting the 6th, and I may take the plunge on that much of it. I actually have the sharpening system by NOVA, but I'm not completely satisfied with it. Might just take Joshua's idea of hanging onto it and just use it for back-up or for another setup.

Ron Stadler
03-05-2011, 8:44 PM
My vote is for the original, and I suggest getting the video "sharpening demystified" with Kirk Deheer, its a great video and help me a lot.

David DeCristoforo
03-05-2011, 9:39 PM
Another 2 cents worth... The original VG is, IMMHO, "better" than the VG2. The VG2 is a much more "refined" design and is basically "idiot proof". I say "basically" because nothing is truly "idiot proof". Any idiot worth the title can easily figure out how to screw up anything. But the VG2 is really a "set it and forget it" jig. But as many have already pointed out, it confines the position of the tool edge to the center of the stone. Not good. I had an interesting thing happen with my VG2. I had the holding clamps mounted so that the bar was centered on the width of the grinding wheels. The stock wheels were 3/4" wide. I got a better set of wheels but they are 1" wide. They still fit the grinder fine but it threw off the centering. This is not an issue with anything except the VG2. When using it if I lay the tool over toward the grinder, there is not enough wheel to dress the wing on that side. With the "original VG, I can just move it over a bit. I guess I could just move the holders but I'm way too lazy for that. So the VG2 sits on the shelf with all the other "really cool tools I will probably never use again".

Joshua Dinerstein
03-11-2011, 10:22 AM
Joshua, I keep the spike in place in the pocket with one hand and have no problems with it drifting. I think Wolverines video shows it being done that way.

Hi Richard,

That is what I have seen and tried as well. I am not entirely sure how it goes wrong, or I would have fixed it :), but it has happened a few times. I have been trying again in the last week with the VG1 and so far it is going well this time around. I sharpened my BB bowl gouge a number of times with everything working correctly. But it occurred to me that we use jigs for a repeatable grind/edge. The VG2 makes getting this "exactly the same every time" edge even easier. So I am a little surprised that it is so generally disliked.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion/help.

Joshua