PDA

View Full Version : New (to me) Craigslist scam

Jim McFarland
03-04-2011, 7:48 PM
I know lots of SMC folks use craigslist to sell wwing equipment so wanted to warn of a new scam I saw today. I got an innocuous email reply saying "I want to buy this item." I replied with phone # and emailer then sends what sorta looks like a youtube link...wanting me to view to make sure my item isn't the item shown in the video. I obviously didn't click on their link and when I searched I found several other craigslist posters had been baited the same way and the link reportedly leads to a computer virus infection.

I know I may miss a sale but I'm not going to reply to queries in the future unless they mention the specific item I'm selling or a local phone #. I'm still ticked at the creeps who try this sort of con.

Another way to recognize scammers is to post 2 separate craigslist items near the same time. If you get replies from the same or similar email with simple or leading queries about the separate items & the 2 emails arrive about the same time -- it is almost certainly a scammer. I got 2 of those today: one with same email and a second with same last name and different first name. I can always find 2 items to sell so I'm going to do this as SOP now when posting on craigslist.

Be careful out there!

Jim Koepke
03-04-2011, 7:55 PM
Jim,

Do you mind if I copy your post and send it along to friends and post in other places?

I will not use your name unless you want it used.

jtk

Jim McFarland
03-04-2011, 8:04 PM
Feel free, Jim -- more who know the better and no need to mention my name. BTW, "Maggie Roberts" seems to be a common reply-to email for this scam. No intention of smudging the name of any true craigslist responders so-named but they will likely see few responses soon anyway!

Jim Koepke
03-04-2011, 8:17 PM
Thanks Jim,

Did a Google on Maggie Roberts and about 4 million responses with nothing to ring a bell.

Did a Google on Maggie Roberts scam and up come about 5 million responses saying;

do not open emal from
Sellers do not respond to
Scam beware
etc.

So, too bad for all those folks out there who have their name besmirched.

jtk

Jim McFarland
03-04-2011, 8:28 PM
Good point, Jim -- sounds like another craigslist SOP: search "reply-email scam" before I reply in the future.

John alder
03-06-2011, 12:17 PM
When I post anything On Craigslist my last sentance on the post reads "If serious interest please reply via Craigs list with a phnoe # and I will call you I can not do any emails Thanks "Then you can put the phone # in a google search to see if its a local or a bussiness or what ever,I have weeded out many trolls this way.

Dan Hintz
03-06-2011, 5:32 PM
When I post anything On Craigslist my last sentance on the post reads "If serious interest please reply via Craigs list with a phnoe # and I will call you I can not do any emails Thanks "Then you can put the phone # in a google search to see if its a local or a bussiness or what ever,I have weeded out many trolls this way.
Up until a year or so ago, my cell phone had a FL area code, even though I'm in MD... you would have lost out on any of my potential purchases.

Myk Rian
03-06-2011, 6:05 PM
I know lots of SMC folks use craigslist to sell wwing equipment so wanted to warn of a new scam I saw today
That's hardly a new scam.
If the e-mail title doesn't indicate what you're selling, delete it.

Bill Cunningham
03-06-2011, 8:42 PM
Similar to the emails every business with a website gets.. "I wish to buy your product" please advice(sic) what credit cards you accept.. Shipping is not needed..
Usually from Rev. Jim Jones or something..ha.. Enjoy the koolaid :D