PDA

View Full Version : Fun With Electric Water Heaters

Jim Koepke
03-04-2011, 7:41 PM
As long as my memory goes back, Candy (my wife) has complained about there not being enough hot water for her to take a shower. She likes them hot and long. So recently when she complained again about there not being enough hot water to fill the tub for her to take a bath, it seemed like more of the same. Then when I took a shower, it was clear to me something was wrong. My shower usually doesn't last long. Wash hair, shave and body wash and then a good rinse. This time it was barely enough time to shave.

So, a lot of consideration was given to looking for a water heater and what all goes into the proper replacement.

It is amazing how some national retailers have such terrible web sites for finding what a person wants. They are likely sitting in their stores wondering why they do not have as many customers in the store as they have people working there.

One web site had two major brands on their main page for water heaters. When either one of them was selected the web site told me those are not available at the stores nearest to me.

When we visited the stores, those brands were in the store and prominently displayed.

The sales associate helping us was notified of this. He explained there wasn't anyway for him to take such customer feedback up the chain of command. He also wasn't sure if he was going to still have a job at the end of the day.

Hey retailers, listen to the people you hire when they tell you what customers are saying. A lot of people would rather go to a competitor and be done than to go take an online survey and wait for you to get it together.

The best help we received was from a person at one of the small local hardware stores. He gave me the feeling that he had been there a long time and was pretty confident that he was going to be there in the future. He also seemed to have knowledge about the problem. When I described the pluming in our house, he even knew the type and the problems associated with it. The only problem is they didn't have the correct heating element in stock.

After looking around and figuring how much hassle replacing a water heater can be, my decision was to try to determine what was wrong and just replace the bad part. The breakers were turned off for the water heater circuit. The connections at the water heater were all checked for any sign of voltage. Then the different components were checked. My meter indicated the lower heating element was open. So a new heating element and the wrench (a 1-1/2" socket that needs to fit a thin nut) to remove and replace the element was purchased.

Before going to town to purchase parts a lot of different web sites were visited to make sure I didn't need any special thread sealer or other items. We did buy a goose neck hose bib adapter because of the drain on the water heater being so close to the floor that it would have been difficult to attach a hose.

The power was turned off a day before and it was interesting that almost 24 hours later the water was still tepid coming out of the hot water tap. There may not be any problem with shooting hot water through a garden hose out in the yard, but what the heck, why take any chances. The hose was run along the floor, out the door and to a point a few feet lower than the drain. The drain was opened. We ran this for a few minutes and then turned on the hot water in the kitchen. Then the water heater shut off valve was closed. We let the water drain until there wasn't anymore coming out the hose in the backyard.

The wires were removed from the lower element and moved to the side and out of the way.

There was a little corrosion around the fitting for the lower element. A small wire brush was used while running the vacuum cleaner and holding the crevice tool near the lower element. After removing the element the wire brush was used on the inside threads again with the vacuum wand held close by to clean any crud out of them.

The element was removed. It was a little tight, but that is what leverage is meant to do. The new element was installed and the wires were connected. This was all checked with a good light at hand just to make sure.

After all this was done, the shut off valve was turned on and water began to enter the tank. The drain was left running for a few minutes. After closing the drain, the garden hose was removed and everything was checked for leaks. One of my tricks for this is to have a wad of toilet paper or paper towels below anything that might leak. Same for working on a sink, but then it is easiest to have a sheet of two from the newspaper laying under everything to find the drips.

With the kitchen hot water open and no leaks, it was time to clean up. Wanting to know how long it takes for the tank to fill up had me checking and making a note of the time.

After all the clean up and another cup of coffee, water still wasn't coming out of the kitchen sink. It seemed there was some air coming out, but finally one of the other sinks was tried. Water came out, then a little air as expected. Then water started to come out again. So I turned on the cold water at the kitchen tap and nothing. To make an already long story a little shorter, the bubbler on the kitchen sink became full of crud during the process and water wouldn't flow. So after that was cleaned water flowed. Once good flow with no air pockets was ensured at all faucets, the circuit break to the water heater was set back to the on position.

Now about an hour later we have hot water again. Maybe I will try taking a long shower tonight. My face has a few days growth and I could use a shave.

About $25 in parts and tools sure beats about $300 for just a new water heater. We will likely have to get one in a few years, but that is not today.

jtk

Mike Desch
03-04-2011, 8:21 PM
Good job, Jim:

Amazing what some elbow grease and just a few bucks can do!
Lots of times, the problem is just what you discovered.

Sometimes the difficult part is finding enough time to tackle the problem.

Jim Koepke
03-05-2011, 4:12 AM
The proof is in the pudding.

Took a long hot shower this evening. I think that element must have been going bad for a long time before it failed. The water was hotter than it has since we moved here and did not waver during a shower that allowed me to shave off about a weeks growth, wash my hair, body and just enjoy the warmth.

I think as a heating element is starting to fail it can deteriorate and since it does not pass as much current it doesn't get as hot.

Usually about 15 minutes into a show I would have to dial back the cold water a bit to keep up the warmth. Tonight, I had more cold water mixed in than usual and needed it.

jtk

Dave Wagner
03-05-2011, 7:24 AM
Yes, the elements do go bad, a quick Resistance test with a good digital meter can tell you if they are out of tolerance or by the amount of hot water like you discovered going low quickly.

There is also Sacrificial Anode (s) that go down from the top of the tank that can also be replaced to help the inside/elements from corroding as fast.

I put a timer (Intermatic) on our tank, so it only runs 4 hours a day in the morning and 1 hour later in the after noon to keep it hot. Then it is not on all the time wasting electricity. It probably saved $20-30/month from the electric bill.

Dan Hintz
03-05-2011, 12:58 PM
Jim,

If your heating element was failing due to old age and use, have you replaced the sacrificial rod, too? It's probably pretty beat up, if not already gone by this point. Make sure that's in good order, else your tank itself will start to eat itself away, leading to leaks in the future.

Jim Koepke
03-05-2011, 4:15 PM
If your heating element was failing due to old age and use, have you replaced the sacrificial rod, too?

Thanks Dan,

I could not find the sacrificial rod. It looks like it is capped off where it should be. The element came out pretty clean. It looks like it is one of the originals and after 18 years I am kind of surprised how clean it was. We do have well water that is fairly good. Most of the crud in the tank was just dirt particles.

I do plan on taking one more careful look before I close it all up since I do want to replace the rod if I can.

jtk

Roger Newby
03-05-2011, 5:11 PM
Are you locked in to using electricity? I installed a tankless natural gas water heater about 6-7 years ago and can run hot water 24/7 if necessary. No energy waste holding hot water in reserve. I figured my pay off in savings at about 2 years. Also a 20 yr. warranty vs. 3-5 for tank type. The whole thing is about the size of a large suit case, so there is some space saving as well. It's all stainless steel and copper so the 20 yr. warranty is probably a low estimate. Just my $.02.

Jim Koepke
03-05-2011, 5:26 PM
Are you locked in to using electricity?

Pretty much the case. We looked into tankless water heaters and the electrics take more current than we can supply at this time.

We did get a gas tank put in for our greenhouse. That is over a hundred feet away and would require us running a line to the house. Up here in the land of hydro electric the gas option is a lot more costly.

jtk

Mike Cruz
03-05-2011, 11:16 PM
Jim, two things: First, thanks for calling it a water heater, not a hot water heater. Seems silly for it to be a hot water heater...if the water is already hot, why are you heating it?

Secondly, while I fully understand your gripe, I have a sneaking suspicion that the reason that more manufacturers/retailers don't make specs readily available is because if they do make the specs readily available, you might realize what a piece of garbage they are trying to sell you. It is a lot easier to snow you when you are convinced that a product is right for you by a snot nosed sales clerk that is telling you that it is right for you, than it is when you can make an educated decision for yourself. I've found that the better the product, the more the specs are showcased. Just my opinion.

Rick Moyer
03-05-2011, 11:54 PM
Thanks Dan,

I could not find the sacrificial rod. It looks like it is capped off where it should be. The element came out pretty clean. It looks like it is one of the originals and after 18 years I am kind of surprised how clean it was. We do have well water that is fairly good. Most of the crud in the tank was just dirt particles.

I do plan on taking one more careful look before I close it all up since I do want to replace the rod if I can.

jtk
The anode rod probably does have a cap over it. It should have a hex head, with or without a small round area in the center. You could even have two, but likely only one. I would suspect after 18 years it probably isn't doing much good anymore, but if you don't have the headroom to remove it it would require draining the heater again and tilting it over, at least to install the new one. May or may not be worth it depending on how long you want to keep the existing water heater. Sounds like your water must be pretty good if you have had no problems other than recently. Do a search for water heater anode rod. there's lots of information out there.

Jim Koepke
03-06-2011, 4:04 AM
if the water is already hot, why are you heating it?

Because it isn't hot enough?

May or may not be worth it depending on how long you want to keep the existing water heater. Sounds like your water must be pretty good if you have had no problems other than recently. Do a search for water heater anode rod. there's lots of information out there.

I know about anode rods. I have replaced them before. I am not sure if this one has one or not. It might be since the water is filtered but not treated the original installers decided it didn't need one. That really doesn't seem to make sense, but a lot of things are done without making sense.

jtk

Rick Moyer
03-06-2011, 7:45 AM
The installers don't put them in, the water heater manufacturers do. I suspect it is hidden below a cover.

Mike Cutler
03-06-2011, 6:59 PM
Nice work Jim. Most folks would have called a plumber, or replaced the whole unit, and been done with it.

I'll be replacing ours here in the next few weeks.I'm going back to a propane fired storage tank water heater, most likely a Bradford White Direct Vent. We wanted to go propane tankless but the return value just isn't there for us. Too bad, because I think they're really cool.

Lee Schierer
03-07-2011, 3:06 PM
Good work. In case you didn't know....Electric water heaters heat with two coils. The upper one does the least amount of work as it only keeps the uppper part of the tank at the set temp. The lower element does the majority of the work and usually fails first. It heats all of the cold water entering the tank to the set point. Short supplies of hot water from an otherwise large tank indicates the lower element has failed as the lower water never was heated. The upper element will not heat up the cold water entering the bottom of the tank.

Lower elements fail from old age, but can also fail when hard water (minerals) deposits build up on both elements. The cyclical heating of the elements causes the accumulated minerals to flake off and drop to the bottom of the tank. As these accumulate on the bottom, they eventually reach up and cover the lower element. When these minerals get deep enough they cover the lower element and it over heats in the covered areas and fails by melting the internal wire and sometimes the outer casing. These mineral flakes are hard enough and heavy enough in most cases that they cannot be flushed out the bottom drain valve even if you remember to flush the tank on a regular basis.

When I replace a failed heating element, I use a curved piece of copper tubing and my shop vac to suck out the accumulated mineral flakes so I start with a clean tank bottom when the new element goes in.

Bill Cunningham
03-10-2011, 9:45 PM
Are you locked in to using electricity? I installed a tankless natural gas water heater about 6-7 years ago and can run hot water 24/7 if necessary. No energy waste holding hot water in reserve. I figured my pay off in savings at about 2 years. Also a 20 yr. warranty vs. 3-5 for tank type. The whole thing is about the size of a large suit case, so there is some space saving as well. It's all stainless steel and copper so the 20 yr. warranty is probably a low estimate. Just my $.02.

I installed one two years ago, and it uses about 1/2 meter of gas a day ($0.14) I used to burn $1200.00 worth of oil, in a oil fired heater a year. Now I burn about $50-$55 a year in gas.. A electric water heater is the biggest energy sucker in the average house. As for mixing for the right shower temp.. nope, with a tankless, you just punch up 104-106deg on the digital readout, and crank the water tap all the way. Perfect heat every time for as long as you want..