PDA

View Full Version : Hate it!

David DeCristoforo
03-04-2011, 7:38 PM
I think of all the turnings I have done to date, I like this one the least. I had this piece of macassar (AKA striped) ebony roughed out before I started moving. It got a good DNA soak and a six week drying time wrapped in paper. But it ended up peppered with cracks anyway. I also tried the glue soak thing, hoping the cracks would close up. Not!!!

I decided to try and finish it anyway but one of the cracks came right up to the rim and looked really bad. So I stuck in this little amboyna burl collar. Then I started thinking about stoppered bottles. I was also wondering about how a shorter finial would look so I figured I would try one. The net result is that... well.. I hate it! Too bad... I had some high hopes for that piece of ebony. Anyway, here it is FWIW...

Nate Davey
03-04-2011, 7:59 PM
Well, the form you chose really shows off the wood well. I can't think of a form the would be better. The finial, in and of its self in very nice, but have to agree with you for this piece, but having never done a finial, I'm not much of a valuable opinion giver.

John Keeton
03-04-2011, 8:04 PM
David, the "Hate it" designation is a bit rough, don't you think??? I really like the form - quite well, actually. And, the wood is beautiful. I don't care for the diminutive finial, but why not just do another? There are all kinds of possibilities with this piece, and it is certainly worth the effort. Can't you fill the cracks with some CA or epoxy?

Just seems too pretty a form to leave as is and be disappointed in it.

David DeCristoforo
03-04-2011, 8:48 PM
"There are all kinds of possibilities with this piece, and it is certainly worth the effort. Can't you fill the cracks with some CA or epoxy?"

Maybe so, John. I did fill the cracks but they are still obvious. Somehow, in the ebony, the cracks are much more prominent than they might be in another wood. I could easily make another finial and maybe I will. But I'm really more disappointed in the form itself. I don't think the proportions are right and the collar just does not "click". I don't know if I am going to be able to bring myself to put more effort into this. Have to sleep on it. I've already shown great restraint in not bowling it down the drive way into the street in front of an oncoming truck!

Michael James
03-04-2011, 8:51 PM
One man's trash is another man's treasure.

Richard Madden
03-04-2011, 8:58 PM
The wood is very nice, I like it a lot. The form is just right. The finial is the only thing that might need changing. I know what it needs...a spiral finial!! Like jk said, just do another.

That wood reminds me of some Red Bud I turned with the pith centered. They cracked too, but CA did the trick.

John Keeton
03-04-2011, 9:02 PM
David, what are the dimensions on the form?

Doug W Swanson
03-04-2011, 9:16 PM
I don't know why you hate it so much. I actually like the form the way it is. I also think it might look better without a finial....

philip labre
03-04-2011, 9:23 PM
David, I know we tend to be our harshest critics and it's hard to change our minds, but I like the form and wood and think it would look best without the finial. Just the form alone.

Curt Fuller
03-04-2011, 9:29 PM
I hate it that you hate it. ;) I think the main form is fantastic. The wood is beautiful. It's hard to tell from the photo, but I can't see any of the cracks you're talking about. I also can't see the actual transition or joint between the ebony and amboyna but I think the colors compliment each other. I would suggest a different finial from the amboyna if possible, short is fine, but a little larger in diameter and with something in the shape that replicates the shape of the main vessel.

Don't be so hard on yourself David. Set it aside and let the wheels turn for a while.

Bernie Weishapl
03-04-2011, 9:34 PM
David I don't know what is to hate. I really like the form but the finial could go.

David DeCristoforo
03-04-2011, 9:38 PM
"...what are the dimensions..."

7" in diameter and 6 tall without the "finial". I "photoshopped" the finial out. OK, I could have just taken another picture without the finial but I didn't think of that until just now. This is just how my brain is working these days!

I'm still not happy with the curve at the top of the form. It just seems to flatten out too much. And it's way too thin to try and reshape it!

Cathy Schaewe
03-04-2011, 9:49 PM
I think it's really pretty without the finial. Maybe if you set it aside awhile, it will grow on you. Or maybe you'll use it for bowling, who knows? Just don't make any sudden decisions. (easy for me to say. my wood stove is in the basement about 10 steps away from my lathe. can't tell you how many pieces I've burned ...) personally, I think it looks really good.

David DeCristoforo
03-04-2011, 9:53 PM
"...maybe you'll use it for bowling..."

Don't think it has not occurred to me! I also think the base is way too wide. Every time I look at it I see something else I don't like. This may be another "chalk it up to learning" thing.

Doug W Swanson
03-04-2011, 9:54 PM
I can see your point about the curve flattening out but overall it's still a very nice piece. I think you're being too harsh on yourself (but then we our are own worst critics!)

John Keeton
03-04-2011, 9:55 PM
I should have asked this before, but can you still chuck the piece? Something to consider would be to turn out the collar (not really enough contrast for my tastes) and open the form a little so that an inset piece could be installed that would solve the problem of the flat area - perhaps Blackwood or something that would contrast with the ebony. Then work up from there into a transition area.

I still think there are all kinds of possibilities, but in order to rectify your concerns it seems the piece needs to be chucked.

David E Keller
03-04-2011, 10:02 PM
I don't hate it... In fact, I think it's rather nice. I agree with your ideas about the top and bottom of the form, and I like it better without the finial. I'm sorry that it didn't materialize as you hoped especially with such a fine piece of wood... Blame it on mover's trauma.

David DeCristoforo
03-04-2011, 10:02 PM
I actually tried to chuck it in a vac chuck but it wouldn't hold because of all the cracks. The big problem is that the walls are only 1/8" thick so there is not much to work with. I think I would have to take out almost a three or four inch disk at the top in order to get rid of the flat. Then I still have the "too big" foot to deal with. I think I'd rather put the effort into the next one and let this be. Can't win em all...

John Keeton
03-04-2011, 10:06 PM
David, I have been there! When you reach that point mentally, then moving on is the right decision. You can easily pour too much effort into a piece that will never fully satisfy you.

Rest up - and, on to the next one!!

Cathy Schaewe
03-04-2011, 10:19 PM
I don't disagree about the 'too much effort' concept, but I will say that painter's tape over a crack will usually allow a vac chuck to hold ....FWIW

Bernie Weishapl
03-04-2011, 10:30 PM
David I must say I like it as is. Really looks good to me without the finial.

Steve Schlumpf
03-04-2011, 10:37 PM
I actually think it is kinda cool! Instead of trying to eliminate the areas you are finding fault with - why not turn a new finial that emphasizes those features?

Just a thought...

Baxter Smith
03-04-2011, 10:51 PM
I like it as a HF by itself. But when I start feeling like its time to move on, it probably is.

David DeCristoforo
03-04-2011, 11:26 PM
"...why not turn a new finial that emphasizes those features?"

Well that's a novel idea! I dunno... I'm gonna sleep on this one. I mean not actually sleep on it but... well, you know. I'll decide in the morning. If it was not for the fact that this piece is so badly cracked I might have more motivation to do something with it. I know the cracks don't show in the pics but if I get some in a different light and from a different angle, they will be very visible. There's a ton of hairline cracks and some pretty big ones. You can see some of them in this pic on the left side:

Doug W Swanson
03-04-2011, 11:48 PM
David,
If you are still hating this piece in the morning, why don't you throw it in a box and ship it to me in Minnesota. We can use a little extra heat in our house this time of year!:eek:

Actually it WAY to nice to burn but I would gladly put it on display on a shelf in our home!:D

alex carey
03-05-2011, 5:11 AM
that wood is realllly pretty.

Brian McInturff
03-05-2011, 9:04 AM
Set it aside for awhile. Something will come to you. Maybe you can use the cracks to the benefit the piece. Carving, piercing, etc. If you plan on counting it as a loss then what do you have to lose by doing one of those, or just setting it on a shelf for a year and then coming back to it. Right now your mind is too distraught over it so you can't think straight or even out of the box so it's time to move on from it. But in 6 months or a year your mind will be fresh and you can think of new ideas for it.

Ron Bontz
03-05-2011, 10:27 AM
Frankly Dave. I really like it. Finial and all. So while you are busy hating your exquisite work you can send it to me and I will banish it to a display prison case far far away. Never again to cast its evil influence upon your other works.:D

Mark Hubl
03-06-2011, 4:26 PM
It is a shame the wood cracked. I like the form. Not crazy about the little finial. If you still hate it, try some piercing practice before sending it to the carbonization pile.

David DeCristoforo
03-06-2011, 4:30 PM
I'm still contemplating the fate of this "piece". As "the doc" said, it's future has not been written yet...

Chris Hayes
03-06-2011, 5:20 PM
David --
We all compare our stuff to each other..I think your HF is fine (with and without the finial). What we have to remember, even with cracks, there are few people who even venture to attempt this. The number of people who'd be wiling to buy that with a crack out number you many to one... Those who'd take it off your hands for nothing..far greater. Just remember, in June, the humidity will have swelled that wood closed and you'll be asking yourself "why am I holding onto this?"...

Ya done good...

Jim Burr
03-06-2011, 5:49 PM
ehhh...nice shape, nice wood. Finial doesn't fit the piece. What's next?