PDA

View Full Version : Goblet & Scoop

George Babij
03-04-2011, 6:32 PM
Hello All. New to this site, Lurked abit in the past. Here are a couple of recent projects. Goblet is Poplar, kind of a bland wood, but I did Luck out with some grain and colour.
Scoop is Laminated Aspen, done in the Raffan style.

Comments and Critiques Welcome.

Take Care
George:)

John Keeton
03-04-2011, 8:09 PM
George, welcome to the creek!!! I helped you out a little by rearranging your pics to fit the text a little better. Hope you didn't mind.

Great work on both projects and the wood is very fitting for both. These type of turnings seem to do better with rather plain wood.

I look forward to seeing more of your work!

George Babij
03-04-2011, 8:25 PM
Thank-You John, both for the Welcome and Fixing the pics etc. Thanks for your Kind words re my projects. As a Novice Turner, Any Help I can get is appreciated.
Thanks again
Take Care
George

Roger Chandler
03-04-2011, 8:29 PM
Welcome to the creek! Both turnings are nice!

Fred Belknap
03-04-2011, 8:50 PM
Nice looking job to me. Looks like you have been watching Rafan video, I saw him make those and makes it look easy.

Mike Peace
03-04-2011, 9:40 PM
Nice job.

Man, cutting those goblets on a BS is scary. My last one started spinning and got snatched out of my hand. Unless I can figure out a safe way of holding them to cut final shape on the BS, I am staying away from 'em.

Keith E Byrd
03-04-2011, 9:49 PM
George Welcome to the Creek! I am also a new turner and I think you will find the folks on here to be very helpful and very talented! I like the goblet and the scoop - I watched the Raffan video too and plan to try the scoop one of these days.

David E Keller
03-04-2011, 10:12 PM
Welcome, George. Thanks for sharing those two... They're both nicely done. I remember the scoop from the Raffan video, but I never remember it when I'm looking for a project... Thanks for jogging the memory.

Bernie Weishapl
03-04-2011, 10:33 PM
Welcome George to SMC. Both are really nice piece and well done. Thanks for sharing..

Steve Schlumpf
03-04-2011, 10:43 PM
George - Welcome to the Creek! Nice work on both of these turnings - especially like the flowing curves on your goblet!

Lots of new and not-so new turners here that are willing to help drag you deeper into the vortex - I mean - answer your questions! Fastest way to learn is to participate! Looking forward to seeing more of your work real soon!

George Babij
03-05-2011, 10:55 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome and kind comments about the turnings, everyone. Look forward to more participation.
Thanks again
George

bob svoboda
03-05-2011, 11:44 AM
Welcome George. Nice projects both-looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Richard Madden
03-05-2011, 1:40 PM
Welcome, George. Both pieces look really nice. Be sure and share more of your work.