PDA

View Full Version : Benchtop router table-So what do I do now?

dennis thompson
03-04-2011, 5:17 PM
I have been doing some research on benchtop router tables. I've narrowed it down to a Benchdog or a Bosch, but nowhere can I find one that I can see before I buy it. I hate to just order one or the other without having seen them. Any thoughts on what I might do?
Thanks
Dennis

Louis Brandt
03-04-2011, 5:31 PM
I have been doing some research on benchtop router tables. I've narrowed it down to a Benchdog or a Bosch, but nowhere can I find one that I can see before I buy it. I hate to just order one or the other without having seen them. Any thoughts on what I might do?
Thanks
Dennis

I have the Bosch RA1171 router table, and I like it. I think that it's well-built, but of course I'm not a pro, and others on the forum may say that it's not as good as a Benchdog, etc. If you have a local Lowe's, you might see it there, since my Lowe's carries it.

John M Wilson
03-04-2011, 10:32 PM
I have the Bosch RA1181 -- I bought it as a "temporary" until I can get the time to build my "real" router table.

I got the 1181 over the 1171 since the work surface is 27" x 18", bigger than the 25" x 14" of the 1171, and 24" x 16" of the Bench Dog. It does what I need it to do for now.

I liked the favorable reviews on NewWoodworker.com, where a fellow creeker (Tom Hintz) has videos of the unit in action. There may be other videos on the web, which is not quite as good as using it yourself, but a video is worth a thousand pictures (depending on your frame rate :) ).

If you are unsure, buy through an online retailer like Amazon that has a good return policy. If you don't like it when you take it out of the box, return it. I have returned things to Amazon before, and it is (relatively) painless.

Good Luck!

Callan Campbell
03-05-2011, 12:09 AM
I have the benchtop BenchDog model. I have my large Porter-Cable router installed in it and the cast iron BenchDog router plate and lift. I added the 4" dust port for the interior of the cabinet, and a splitter for a smaller diameter hose that goes to the rear of the fence with the other dust collection port. It's heavy, but not so much that I regret it. Stout enough construction of the plywood cabinet from BenchDog. The front opening door works smoothly, the fence seems good so far. I still plan to add an outside mounted On/Off switch for the router for quicker shutdown.