PDA

View Full Version : Oliver 4230 8" Jointer - any review/experience?

John Myers
03-04-2011, 3:44 PM
I'm looking around for an 8" jointer. One of the models I'm looking at is the Oliver 4230, with helical cutterhead. I'm thinking that I'll take a day off work and see if I can look at one at a dealer nearby (Seattle area). But in the meantime I was wondering if anyone has used one of these jointers? One thing the Oliver seems to have that others don't is a heavier base - the cabinet resting on a cast-iron base, increasing the overall weight of the machine (~ 650 lbs).

Also looking at the Grizzly 490/x too, which seems to be a popular jointer.

John

Russell Smallwood
03-04-2011, 8:06 PM
Also curious. The 490x is a parrallelogram (sp?), the Oliver is a dovetail machine and the Oliver is more expensive but I'm still curious...

The Oliver, despite having as much to do with the original Oliver name as does Steel City, still looks pretty beefy to me. Looking at the Oliver website, I'm getting the general impression that the new Chiwanese Oliver stuff is at the higher end of the import brands...

Anybody get their hands on one?

Andrew Hughes
03-04-2011, 8:43 PM
I have one it works great.I think i will be ordering a new set of inserts this year.I have already used three sides.

Irvin Crouse
03-04-2011, 9:51 PM
John I have their 12 inch jointer with the Byrd head. It is a great machine. Very well built with very good tolerances. Heavier built than many. I am very happy with it.

John Myers
03-05-2011, 10:06 AM
Does Oliver still use Baldor motors in their jointers/machines?

Russell Smallwood
03-05-2011, 10:44 AM
Just dug this old classic out of the archives :)

Thread in which a variety of regulars debate the value of the new Oliver tools which in turn becomes a side discussion on Euro imports (in which Rod has some thoughts :)) and Van Husky reveals that he has, in fact, beholdened the Jointers in question. (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?143793-NEW-oliver-machinery&highlight=Oliver)

So Van, what was your impression of the 8" Jointers? You indicated you thought the 10-12" jointers were not exactly "clones" and were built with some aspects of the old Oliver stuff despite being Chiwanese.

Irvin Crouse
03-06-2011, 9:55 PM
Yes they do use baldor motors and Byrd Head if you want.

Russell Smallwood
03-09-2011, 12:00 PM
bump,

hoping Van Huskey would add his $.02 since he's seen the jointer in question live and in person.