PDA

View Full Version : Help with a Griz saw please

shane lyall
03-04-2011, 3:15 PM
Can anyone tell me what model saw this is from this pic? I know it's not much info but I can buy this saw for under $500 or a new P-C contractor saw for the same $$. I want a cabinet saw but a riving knife on the pc would b nice. He said the Grizzly was bought new in 93 and use little since. He also said he thinks it's a 5hp. I'm thinking hard about the Griz but need more info that the owner just dosen't have. Any help or opinions are greatly appreciated.
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f140/shanelyall/1299269020.jpg

Brett Bobo
03-04-2011, 3:53 PM
Shane,
Given the age of the saw, I'm not sure of the particular model but at ~$500, I think it's overpriced. Generally speaking, used tools that are well-maintained and relatively current bring about 60% of the new, retail price but excluding tax, delivery, etc. The make and model may alter that as well but that's a good starting point. I'd recommend scouring the used market for either a hybrid or cabinet saw but if you're set on a new machine, I'd also look at the Bosch contractor's saw versus the Porter cable. Alternatively, a new, Grizzly hybrid saw is about $850 delivered and I believe that's with a 2 HP motor with a riving knife, which is a considerable upgrade over the contractor-type/portable saws. Since buget may be the driving issue, I'd look for a better deal or give it a few more months and purchase a new, hybrid saw of your choice.

Derek Gilmer
03-04-2011, 6:24 PM
You should be able to find a more current grizzly or other good cabinet saw in the 500 to 600 range if you look around. What budget are you trying to hit and what are your goals? Here is the griz saw Brett mentioned: http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-Hybrid-Tablesaw-with-Riving-Knife-Polar-Bear-Series/G0715P

shane lyall
03-04-2011, 7:02 PM
I also looked at the hybrid Grizzly but it's more of a contractor saw in a cabinet. It has a trunion set up like a contractor saw. I'm looking for a good used saw local but can't seem to find one in my price range. I did find a Powermatic 66 in new condition for $1300. I'd have been all over it but I need a dust collector upgrade soon and I'm trying to stay in the $500-$800 range. I just missed a Uni with outfeed and side tables for $750. FWIW I have a Ryobi saw on a contractor stand so anything will be a step up. If I can't buy the Griz for around $400 I may pass and go with the P-C. Anyone know if Lowes will match HF cupons?

Jim O'Dell
03-04-2011, 8:06 PM
I'm not sure, but I'd guess that it is a 1022. Predecessor to the 1023. Maybe someone else will pipe in that knows for sure. You might go to the Grizzly website and look under their download section and see if they have a 1022 manual listed there to download. Might tell you for sure if that's what it is. Jim.

Chip Lindley
03-05-2011, 1:45 AM
I would rarely find myself saying this, but that old Grizzly cabinet saw is light years ahead of any P-C contractor saw. Especially if it's 5 hp! If the Griz has seen little use, it is probably good to go!

With almost 20 years on the arbor and motor bearings, a rebuild may be in order. Then you will probably be set for LIFE! The fence may not be of the same accuracy as the Biesemeyer clones that adorn all Grizzlys today, but I dare say it is probably better than anything on a P-C contractor saw.

Wave $450 cash at the seller and see if he blinks!

Jack Lindsey
03-05-2011, 1:51 AM
It looks a lot like my 1995 vintage model G1023. If it is the motor will be a 3 HP with a 10" blade. If I recall correctly it sold new for about $700. I can check tomorrow if you're interested. Even if it was in new condition I think $500 would be overpriced. This is an 18 year old saw and it does appear to have seen use. That said, my 1023 has been a good tool. I've replaced the bearings and the motor but I use it a lot. It's worth whatever someone is willing to pay but I think it's probably in the $300 to $350 range if in good shape. Justy my opinion, though.

I agree with Chip that it will be better than a contractor grade saw.

shane lyall
03-05-2011, 3:10 AM
I did some checking and he is firm @ $500. I was wrong and the P-C is a hybrid saw with cabinet mounted trunion and a riving knife, split blade guard, built in mobile base, a dust collection port. Micro adjust on the fence, an angle guage in a clear window in the cast iron top, (looks cool but probally just get you ballpark) and both extention wings, although the're stamped steel. The fence is just ok but I'll be looking for a beis clone.

The griz only has the left wing with it. Can it be used on either side? It's coming out of a salvage lumber store so I HIGHLY suspect it's seen it's share of rough treatment. I know this was a good saw at one time but I just don't think this one is for me. If I could get it around 3 to leave some re-build room it may be a different story.
I called the Borg and the PC is on sale for $550 and they agreed to accept a HF 20% off coupon. I've been reading reviews all night and the very few black marks are the cheap fence. I would be replacing either one anyway. The new saw also has a 3 year warante.

I may wish otherwise but I'm picking up the Porter-Cable in the morning. As soon as I get it set up and tweeked to where I want it I'll post a short term review. I think this will be a good test of there blade before I put a WWII on it. Thanks for the replys folks.

scott spencer
03-05-2011, 7:49 AM
The Griz is an older G1023 prior to them using the Shop Fox Classic (Biese clone) or Shop Fox Original fence, but one of them should certainly fit if you wanted to upgrade it. It should have the same guts as the other older G1023 series saws before the G1023"RL" series with riving knife was released. There's no riving knife, but the B.O.R.K aftermarket riving knife will fit. $500 is a bit steep, but not outrageous....I'd offer a bit less.

The guts should look like this:
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/hewood/sawparts/g1023s_trunnion.jpg

The B.O.R.K:
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/hewood/sawparts/BBG001.jpg

Curt Harms
03-05-2011, 9:03 AM
I have a 1997-98 G1023 and it came with the JetLock knockoff fence--it was really bad. I don't recognize the fence in the picture. The G1023s are good saws but 18 years in a lumber store is gonna put some miles on it. I'd plan a general cleanup and new bearings at a minimum. You'd also need 240 volts available, there's no 120 volt option.

glenn bradley
03-05-2011, 9:34 AM
It is interesting tht no one has stated it is right tilt saw. I would pass just based on that. I'm sure it is a solid older machine but, I can see no right tilt saw in my world ;-)