View Full Version : Miter Saw Station surface?

John Sanford
03-04-2011, 2:45 PM
I'm almost finished with my miter saw station, and have a question regarding one detail.

The platforms are made using Baltic Birch plywood. What would be the best surface treatment for the pieces to be cut to rest on?

I hope to post pictures of the completed beastie within the next week.

Bob Riefer
03-04-2011, 3:00 PM
I used the white-coated melamine that's about 1/4" thick. It's been very durable. I just countersunk and face screwed over top of plywood, so if I ever need to replace it is about a 4 minute operation to do so. But I've beat on it and it's holding up very nicely.

Larry Edgerton
03-04-2011, 5:09 PM
I do mine a little different than most I suppose because of what I do. I do a lot of work with big, long, heavy mouldings and I prefer that the saw can move around a bit and that the bench that holds the piece has a bit of traction. I move the whole saw rather than fiddle with the adjustments, and either shim or hold the piece away from the fence on one end, depending on what I am doing. Its too hard to get just the right adjustment on a 14 foot long piece of oak baseboard, but it is easy to bump the saw. So I vote raw on the benches and a bit of topcote sprayed on the part where the saw sits.

I guess that would be "other"