PDA

View Full Version : Requesting opinions on LABU planes: Are they as sweet to others as they seem to me?

Jim Neeley
03-04-2011, 12:26 PM
First, my background. I've been doing Normite work for a number of years but am just learning to appreciate the ways of "the force".. you know, the Neander ways <g>

I've picked up the Veritas LABU Jointer, Jack, 164-1/2 smoother and LA block with wooden front knob and tote (which LV indicates makes it a functional LA #3).

In my limited experience the BU's give me an additional "feature" beyond the variable cut angle, and that is it gives room for me to get my big ol' bear-paw of a hand around the tote without running into the plane's steel. Do others see this as a big of an advantage as I do?

As time goes on and I develop my stable of planes I'll likely pick up a premium LA block to dedicate to that service and leave the #3 dedicated there.

Please note that while this article is written around Veritas planes, as that's what I know, I feel the same value would apply for other plane makers (LN, etc.)

With the extra hand room, I'd sure like to see Veritas come out with a LABU #1 and #2 also. Is it only me?

Terry Beadle
03-05-2011, 11:01 AM
There are a lot of people who really like a BU smoother and not just because of the grip. Lee Valley makes great planes too. You are not alone. That said, I would recommend you go to a hand tool event or to a good hardware store and test drive a LN #5 1/2 HAF or their LN #4 in bronze. Even better yet, get one of the Brese infill kits in 50 degree. They will give you a great deal of pleasure and with out the BU design. I note you live in Alaska ( hence the bear paw hands..? hoot! ) so maybe these options are not readily available. If so, give Steve Knight's smoother kit a go as he lets you pick your angle of attack. I have the LN LA jack and it's a really great plane. I also have their LA block which is just a pleasure to use.

IMO, a bevel down high angle smoother leaves a better surface but not by much. I especially like the HNT Gordon woodie and the Japanese kana smoother which are both bevel down designs with high angle ( HNT Gordon is 60 degrees as the Aussies must deal with really tough hardwoods as a norm ).

Enjoy the shavings !

Adam Cormier
03-05-2011, 12:03 PM
It seems like you have a great collection of plane's. I just picked up a used Veritas LA block plane, got a great deal and I am looking forward to using it. I'm still wondering about adding the optional tote and ball. I'm undecided though.

Pam Niedermayer
03-05-2011, 2:10 PM
...I especially like the HNT Gordon woodie and the Japanese kana smoother which are both bevel down designs with high angle ( HNT Gordon is 60 degrees as the Aussies must deal with really tough hardwoods as a norm ).

The HNT's are great; but where did you find a Japanese smoother with high angle? They can be made, but are typically bedded at 40° or less. Did you mean the Chinese Mujingfang?

Pam

Jim Koepke
03-05-2011, 2:54 PM
I do like my LN #62. I only have the one blade and have not bothered to pick up a second. It does a great job on end grain. Some times it seems to be more prone to leaving tear out than some of my Stanley/Bailey planes. This might be due to the low angle bevel and might be different with a higher angle blade.

I think if I do ever buy another bench plane it will be the LN #4-1/2 with a high angle frog.

The LA BU Jack is sweet for a lot of things, but there does seem to be an advantage at times with the bevel down planes.

I think there is a slight difference in how the edge of the blade and the wood react. To me this explains why a LA BU plane can leave such a great surface on end grain compared to a standard angle BD plane. My feeling is the BU blade tends to have more of a lifting action on the wood as it cuts where the BD blade tends to have a pushing force on the wood as it cuts.

The thinner the shaving, the less effect the lifting or pushing will have on the surface.

Of course, my thoughts could be totally bonkers, but it works for me.

jtk

Jim Neeley
03-05-2011, 3:58 PM
Hey guys.. I cannot tell you all how much I appreciate you taking the time to help me along here, sharing your time and experience. Terry's right, I don't have a store in state where I can go see any L-N, Veritas, Blue Spruce, Record or Groz... The upper limit around here are a few select Bessey K-body's, a small assortment of CMT bits and one each (floor model, not for sale) Festool asst., and a smattering of Jet, Powermatic and Delta tools.

Heck, when I picked up my "new style" Unisaw and Bosch "glider" I had to order them prepaid, sight unseen. Same with the Veritas planes, twin-screw vise and recently a Woodcraft Emmert clone. Therefore I find your feedback and opinions incredibly helpful. The local woodworking club is helpful but so far I haven't found anyone who makes a dovetail.. by hand or machine.

Enough of my ramblings.. by the way, you sure know how to turn a guy's drool into a rabid pant!!! :D

Just please know I appreciate SMC and your feedback.. its like a drink of water in a scorched desert!!

Jim Koepke
03-05-2011, 4:04 PM
Jim,

I am sure we are all glad to help.

If you feel a need to do a little pay back, give us a few pictures and tell us what your thoughts are on the Woodcraft Emmert clone when you can.

I am very interested in one of those if they are of good quality.

jtk

Jim Neeley
03-05-2011, 5:54 PM
Will do, Jim... and I definitely feel the need to do a little pay back... Actually, this place feels more like a group of buddys who, when they get together for lunch, fight to be the one to pay the bill this time rather than a group of people each trying to mooch off of the others.

The vise is here beside me, still in its shipping box (arrived a week or so ago). I've unpacked and disassembled it to study how it will mount but haven't yet taken the factory grease off of it.

My plan, the week of the 13th (while my 20 yo son is home from college for spring break), is to get his help gluing up a "working prototype" of what will become my first real work bench. I've been talking this week with Geoffrey & Suzette Noden regarding a slightly customized Adjustabench setup for the legging, which we hope to close on early next week so it can get produced and headed my way. We're working on the customizing because I want to have casters, leveler feet and still have a large cabinet between the vertical supports.

Some of you may have noticed I've been asking lots of questions on bench thickness, cabinets, casters and other things lately. While I want ot work towards my right of passage in making my own hardwood bench from scratch, I've decided to build a "disposable" working prototype top out of kilm dried construction fir. I've picked up a couple dozen 2x8x8' boards that I'm going to rip down to something under 5" thick and glue up. Once planed flat, I'll attack it with my router, saws and chisels, trying to imbed the Woodcraft and mount the twein-screw. I'm hoping to learn from the experience, including:

Is 3' the width I want,
Is 7' the length I want,
How thick do I want it and
do I like the vises

before investing him hardwood which, up here, is pretty pricey.

Eric Brown has been very helpful in answering my questions and offering suggestions regarding the Vulcan springs. Thank you, Eric. I fear you too have helped unleash the my inner monster!!! :D

Anyway, long roundabout story but once it's mounted I'll be glad to share my feedback. What I've seen from looking at the Woodcraft on my desktop is looking pretty good.

Jim

Tony Zaffuto
03-05-2011, 8:02 PM
I have a couple of BU planes (LN LA jack & LV LA BU smoother), but they're not what I reach for. I go for my Clifton #3, or my LN HA #4 first.

Prashun Patel
03-05-2011, 8:38 PM
Jim-
The Veritas Low Angle Block plane has an optional knob and tote which convert it into a #2-ish plane, I believe.

I have the LABU smoother/jacks. I suspect I like them because they're just well made planes.

Jim Neeley
03-05-2011, 10:46 PM
Thank you, Tony.. I can see I've only *begun* to build my stable.. :D

Yes, I have that knob/tote.. sweet!!

Of course, wanting to be truly fair and balanced in my reporting, I can see I'll need to get many more planes upon which to develop my opinion! :D:D:D

Jim R Edwards
03-06-2011, 8:19 AM
I prefer bevel up planes, especially lee valley. I have thinned out most of my bevel down planes and havent looked back. I did try a LN 55 degree 4 1/2 at a LN tool show on some curly maple and it left a nice surface.