PDA

View Full Version : Letter spacing in Corel!

Brie -Anne Bryan
03-04-2011, 11:40 AM
Ok..this has been bothering me for quite some time. I am trying to adjust the spacing between letters, particulary with text fitted to a curve because it tends to get squished sometimes. This is really easy in illustrator but I can't seem to figure it out in Corel. I know that it has to do with the Range Kerning function, but when I go to character formatting, the kerning feature remains non-highlighted so I can't use it. Am I missing something? Any help would be greatly appreciated:)

Neal Schlee
03-04-2011, 11:46 AM
Ok..this has been bothering me for quite some time. I am trying to adjust the spacing between letters, particulary with text fitted to a curve because it tends to get squished sometimes. This is really easy in illustrator but I can't seem to figure it out in Corel. I know that it has to do with the Range Kerning function, but when I go to character formatting, the kerning feature remains non-highlighted so I can't use it. Am I missing something? Any help would be greatly appreciated:)

When text is fitted to a curve, or not, use the Node edit tool and you'll be able to manually kern each letter by moving the small box at the bottom of the letter.
Make sure your snap to's are off.

Neal

Brie -Anne Bryan
03-04-2011, 12:06 PM
Hi Neal....You're awesome! it worked!
Thank you so much....I love this forum!!!!

Martin Boekers
03-04-2011, 12:59 PM
You should be able to do that in the formating drop down, make sure you are in the "paragraph" header. In the the dialog box on the left
is spacing between letters & words. This should work on a curve. If not click off the tex then back on. That should do it.

Robert Walters
03-04-2011, 1:15 PM
You have to have all the characters of the text selected, not just the text box.
Then the 'Range Kerning' will be enabled.

Michael Hunter
03-04-2011, 1:46 PM
Another way -

Select the letters with the text tool. Now pressing {CTRL+SHIFT} and > or < will enlarge or close the spaces between the selected letters.

(Found this in some hero's previous post and it has been really useful).

Mike Null
03-04-2011, 1:51 PM
I use fit text to path daily and use the paragraph formatting drop down (character) so that I can set exactly the same spacing on every piece.

Sometimes if you wait until you have fit the text to the path changing spacing will distort it.

Bruce Clumpner
03-04-2011, 6:33 PM
Another way to work with the spacing interactively is switch to the node edit tool, and you'll see two handles on the text block. The bottom left one controls leading (line spacing) and the right one controls kerning (letter spacing).

It's quick and easy to figure out where you like the spacing using these handles.

Tony Lenkic
03-04-2011, 7:47 PM
+1,

That is how I do it. Do not break curve/text apart for this approach.