PDA

View Full Version : Marking Your Pens

Jack Clay
03-04-2011, 11:35 AM
Dose any of you that make pens mark or sign them? I do not want to take them to someone that has a laser. I had thought about a burn mark before you do the final sanding. Any information on what you use and were you put the mark on the pen would be appreciate.

Harry Robinette
03-04-2011, 12:17 PM
Jack
I have never marked my pens, but I only turn a few for friends maybe some of the others have. Sorry I'm no help on this one. I'll be watching this thread I'd like to know too.

Derek Voigt
03-04-2011, 12:34 PM
I looked into doing this before. If you don't have a laser or easy access to one maybe try microstamp... I almost bought a custom stamp (still may in the future) but just haven't wanted to spend the money just yet.

Kenneth Hertzog
03-04-2011, 12:47 PM
Jack and others
I'm not sure what you mean by mark.
I've engraved many a pens with people's names on them
but never my name unless its for me.
did one for my son once and someone now has a pen with his name on it ( yes they took it )
as for a mark you must be careful how deep you make it because of the thickness of the wood or acrylic to the tube.
it could crack or just not look good
Ken

Scott Hackler
03-04-2011, 1:09 PM
I have thought about marking pens and more importantly for myself, Christmas ornaments. Seems a shame to put all that work into something and not have the "artist" sign it. I am thinking about designing a very small 1-2 letter emblem or a unique symbol that would fit on a pen barrel or an ornament globe. This would be a "burner" piece.

Jeff Moffett
03-04-2011, 1:39 PM
I remember seeing Kirk DeHeer of Craft Supplies do a pen turning demo at the Woodworking Shows 3 or 4 years ago. He used a woodburner to hand sign the upper barrel of each pen. During pen assembly he would position the pen clip over his signature to hide it. He passed the pen around and his signature was VERY small but readable. I don’t recall, but he may have even used a magnifying glass as he wrote it. I think he used the extra fine point tip of this pen (http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Carving___Pyrography___Pyrography___Ball_Stylus_Pe n___ball_stylus_pen) which will burn a line 1/64" wide.