PDA

View Full Version : Workbench building question.

Darin Kauffman
03-04-2011, 11:21 AM
I'm currently building my first workbench, and I have a question about connecting the top to my leg system.

I'm using 4x6 Doug-fir for the legs, and I plan on glueing some small rails (top and bottom) for two end-leg assemblies. I will then use a massive maple stringer with knockdown hardware to connect the two leg assemblies and for disassembly. Now here is my question. Could I use a floating tenon in the top of the 4x6's running parallel to the laminated maple top, to allow for the movement of the top? I really don't want to permanently affix the top to the base, as I plan on moving this bench at least once in the coming years.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

glenn bradley
03-04-2011, 1:03 PM
Pegs have been used to hold heavy tops in position for years. As long as your top's weight or the supporting structures layout will prevent tipping or "escape", I see no problem.

Darin Kauffman
03-05-2011, 9:37 AM
Pegs have been used to hold heavy tops in position for years. As long as your top's weight or the supporting structures layout will prevent tipping or "escape", I see no problem.

Thanks Glenn.

I'm planning on building the base so the legs are flush with the side of the top. The top is 2 1/4 maple and weighs around 300lbs. I think I'll buy some quick table "lock-downs" when I need to move this around my garage. So as long as I have movement for the top, I should be good to go? I want the sides to stay flush always.

Dave MacArthur
03-05-2011, 4:55 PM
If you want the sides (legs and front face/rear face) to stay flush, then the legs must be anchored/tied to the bench top, so when it expands/contracts across it's width they'll stay with it. However, if you mount a rail between the two legs, it will be long-grain and will not expand... thus creating conflict between the non-expanding base and the expanding top.

I would do this instead: anchor the top flush with the front leg, and I'd use a lag-bolt or similar if you don't want to dove-tail or mortise it in place. Then I'd let the rear side "float", so it may not always be flush leg to rear face. I'd lag bolt it into the top also, but let the bolt ride in a slot in the top rail near rear leg structure, so it can move back and forth with top expansion.

If you want to just rest the top on pegs / floating tenons, then you need the slot in the underside of the top that they fit in to be perpendicular to the top grain, not parallel, and oversize maybe an inch total to account for movement. IMO this would not be the most secure hook up you could do, nor the easiest.

Darin Kauffman
03-07-2011, 12:45 PM
If you want the sides (legs and front face/rear face) to stay flush, then the legs must be anchored/tied to the bench top, so when it expands/contracts across it's width they'll stay with it. However, if you mount a rail between the two legs, it will be long-grain and will not expand... thus creating conflict between the non-expanding base and the expanding top.

I would do this instead: anchor the top flush with the front leg, and I'd use a lag-bolt or similar if you don't want to dove-tail or mortise it in place. Then I'd let the rear side "float", so it may not always be flush leg to rear face. I'd lag bolt it into the top also, but let the bolt ride in a slot in the top rail near rear leg structure, so it can move back and forth with top expansion.

If you want to just rest the top on pegs / floating tenons, then you need the slot in the underside of the top that they fit in to be perpendicular to the top grain, not parallel, and oversize maybe an inch total to account for movement. IMO this would not be the most secure hook up you could do, nor the easiest.

I see. Thanks for the great information and help. I might just stop worrying about keeping the side legs flush, and save this for a more permanent bench for woodworking, and keep this smaller, current bench build for general use. I might just lag the benchtop down and cut some walnut "plugs" to cover the lag holes. Then, when I need to move the bench in 2-3 years, it will be easier to knockdown. My perfect bench doesn't fit in my side of our small garage, so I'll make do with this one.