PDA

View Full Version : Stanely Vs Groz... Low angle vs standard block

Ron Bontz
03-04-2011, 9:37 AM
Well just a simple, ( I hope), question on block planes. I decided to get a decent block and bench plane. I have a cheapy that is a pain to adjust and keep adjusted. I keep them wrapped in a rag and stuffed in my tool bucket. I looked at a Stanely at the woodworking show but am clueless on planes. I was one of those people sucked into the power tool vortex many moons ago. So I have forgotten anything I may have learned in school about hand planes. Oh yes the question... Is a low angle the best way to go or a standard angle? Is the Stanley comparable to a Groz? I use the bench or block plane mainly when I am away from my shop, (power tool haven) and I have to make due. Oh woe is me.:D Thank you.:)

Derek Gilmer
03-04-2011, 10:26 AM
An older stanley block plane will serve you better for cheaper than a groz. Saw a review of the groz planes and it is a crap shoot at best to find one with a good flat bed for the blade. You could probably find someone willing to fix up a Stanley and tune it for you pretty easy.

Edit, just looked and the groz block is $30. You may not save a ton with a vintage and may have to pay a little more but you'll get a much better tool.

george wilson
03-04-2011, 10:28 AM
Isn't the Groz made in India?

Michael MacDonald
03-04-2011, 10:31 AM
I have a low-angle groz and am happy with it. could be I have low standards or I got lucky in the crap shoot. I held it and the stanley at a woodcraft and decided on the spot to go the cheaper router. I am not a power user of non-power tools... so there is a good chance I have a few things to learn about what is not good with the groz. as I write this, I realize I am not helping at all... bah.

Prashun Patel
03-04-2011, 11:13 AM
You probably can't go wrong with a used Stanley 60 1/2 if yr willing to put some elbow grease into it.

I think it's a worthwhile investment to buy a used 60 1/2 and then tune it. You'll gain a lot of experience to help control the fall as you tumble down the slope of owning way too many planes. Block planes aren't that hard to tune, IMHO because of the small base and relatively few parts vis-a-vis bench planes.

I bought a cheap Footprint ($30) plane and tuned it up reasonably well. I learned how to use it well, and then learned what I liked and did not like in a block plane. I now have a couple smaller blocks (my Goddess planes - hat tipped to Charlie Sheen) that I reach for most often, but the Footprint was my starter wife. Grateful to that ol' girl for the lessons learned.

Erik France
03-04-2011, 2:22 PM
Unless Groz has improved, the Stanley is what I would bet on. I picked up a groz low angle block and the #4 package a few years ago. I use the block still, but I won't touch the #4. Every once in a while I'll play with it a bit more to try to get it workable, then I'll cuss it and put it back up in the far shelf.

The block plane is OK, but I can find it troublesome to use at times. It doesn't consistently hold settings very well, especially the lateral adjustments. It was pretty flat and square out of the box. The iron wasn't ground very well at all.

I've been wanting to pick up a 60 1/2, but I haven't run across a good deal while I still had some money in my pocket. I'm really leaning toward getting the Veritas low angle block now. An early 60 1/2 would go with the rest of my older Stanleys, but I'm really thinking about picking up something I don't have to futz with all that much.

David Weaver
03-04-2011, 2:39 PM
The new stanley is probably similar to a groz. Get an old stanley.

The new one is a coarsely finished thing made in mexico with a marginal iron.

There is a premium stanley block plane, too, but I don't know if anything but the iron (which is supposedly english) is any good. It has to be a lot better than the 60 1/2 they make now.

David Hostetler
03-04-2011, 2:48 PM
This isn't a fair question... My Groz low angle block plane replaced a recent Stanley (Lowes purchased) low angle block plane that was utter and complete garbage. Now the old Stanley low angle block planes were a completely different animal, well made, and easy to keep up...

The Stanley "Sweetheart" planes were reintroduced not too long ago as well, and after seeing the reviews, they are a bit of a mixed bag like the Groz, for a LOT more money... I do think the Sweetheart planes at least come with a better blade, but not sure if it is worth the extra money...

While I am not super satisfied with my Groz, I am also not done tuning it. I have spent my time and effort concentrating on my Groz bench planes instead...

If it were me, and it was not that long ago, my first choice would be a good, old restorable Stanley plane, my second choice would be a Groz plane, with a Hock iron and chip breaker, and LOTS of elbow grease to flatten the sole, frog, etc...

So far I have a Groz low angle block plane (untuned, been lazy, sorry) a Groz #4 smoother, a Groz #6 jack, and a rough but restorable Stanley #7 that is in pieces in a bucket needing a new iron / chipbreaker.

Ron Bontz
03-04-2011, 3:44 PM
Well now I see a book on Planes in my future. Does "60-1/2" refer to the angle? Trivia...It has been shown that neanderthal man could actually make a spear head out of rock as sharp as a modern day scalpel. Thanks for the input. I'll have to look and research more on this, I think.

David Weaver
03-04-2011, 4:07 PM
60 1/2 is the model number.

Their bed angle is about 12 degrees.

Until the premium planes, they were probably the gold standard for low angle planes. Adjustable mouth, etc. Stanley calls them 12-9XX or something like that now. Anything with that numbering convention is to be avoided.

Ron Bontz
03-04-2011, 5:36 PM
Thank you to all.

Derek Gilmer
03-04-2011, 6:19 PM
Well now I see a book on Planes in my future. Does "60-1/2" refer to the angle? Trivia...It has been shown that neanderthal man could actually make a spear head out of rock as sharp as a modern day scalpel. Thanks for the input. I'll have to look and research more on this, I think.

Here you go http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan0a.html this is a great link that lists most of the stanley planes (if not all) in numerical order and with pictures.

Ron Bontz
03-11-2011, 6:18 PM
Old thread, I know. But after looking around a bit it seems a good block plane, at a lower price, is tougher to find than I thought.
I did come across a review of the Woodriver block planes that was very good. The prices seem to be mid-range between the Lee and a newer Stanley, circa 12xxx. Anyone have any first hand knowledge of the Woodriver planes? BTW Derek, thanks for the link. I am just plane ignorant on this one.:) Thanks in advance.