PDA

View Full Version : Spindle Roughing Gouge - your favorite size??

John Keeton
03-04-2011, 7:59 AM
I am still using the spindle roughing gouge from my HF set of tools, and while it works fine, I would like to have one that is a little heavier and wider.

What size do you like? I don't believe Doug Thompson makes a roughing gouge, so I am looking at the BB 2" model, but it sure seems to be large compared to what I am using - which I think is 1".

Joe Bradshaw
03-04-2011, 8:06 AM
John, Doug does make a spindle roughing gouge. I have one and use it a lot. That being said, I really like my Crown PM SRG. It just seems to feel better in my hand.

John Keeton
03-04-2011, 8:33 AM
Joe, I didn't see a roughing gouge on Doug's site, but I have emailed him to find out. What size is your Crown PM?

Ron Bontz
03-04-2011, 8:39 AM
I just use a Crown Pro PM 3/4". Best of luck.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-04-2011, 8:39 AM
John,

My favorite is my Sorby 3/4"....gold model....

Alan Trout
03-04-2011, 9:02 AM
John,

I am sure this is not the answer you are looking for by I do most of my spindle roughing with a 1" skew using a peeling cut. It is much faster and when I want the stock straight and round I find it much more accurate.

Alan

John Keeton
03-04-2011, 9:07 AM
Alan, that probably is the best answer, but my skew and I are not on the best of terms. We have serious disagreements at times, and rarely speak to each other. I occasionally will permit it to do some minor tasks, but we don't discuss anything further!!!

Quinn McCarthy
03-04-2011, 9:19 AM
The bigger the better. I have a crown 1 3/4" roughing gouge. It has some great mass. I just love it.

HTH

Quinn

Alan Trout
03-04-2011, 9:38 AM
John,

When I was training the skew and would have a problem such as a catch or a skate, I would speak to it firmly and say "Bad boy no more of that" and proceed. About 10 more hours of training and it would eventually get better. However you must keep up with the training or it will fall into its less than desirable ways. :D

Alan

Ken Whitney
03-04-2011, 9:41 AM
John,

I use a P&N 1 1/4" and like it quite a bit.

Scott Hackler
03-04-2011, 10:01 AM
I only own 1 roughing spindle gouge. That is a 3/4" Sorby. I use it on small stuff, but my "go to" roughing gouge is my 1/2" Sorby bowl gouge.

Dick Strauss
03-04-2011, 10:18 AM
P&N makes a nice roughing gouge...however they have had some issues with the inside flute milling for some reason.

bob svoboda
03-04-2011, 10:20 AM
I usually start with a 1" BB roughing gouge and finish with a 1" traditional grind skew.

Ron Stadler
03-04-2011, 10:20 AM
Yep, soon as I can afford one I too would like to try a bigger one, mine is probably a 1" also.

Montgomery Scott
03-04-2011, 10:24 AM
Sorby 1.5"

Brian McInturff
03-04-2011, 10:31 AM
Yes, Doug makes an SRG. I think he only does them on occasion. He may not do them at all now due to the amount of material wasted. I have one, I think it's 1 1/4" not real sure any more on what size it is. I just grab it when I need it.

Mark Hubl
03-04-2011, 10:31 AM
John,

I have got the two that came with the HF set as well, but I picked up a biggin and love it. I got a Jet, looks to be around 1 1/2". I really like the deep flute compared to the HF. It lets you rotate the tool and cut much more like a skew. Now, I do mainly use it for roughing fairly squared up or rounded stock. Like Scott, I use my biggest bowl gouge for roughing the rough stuff. If starting over it would be one of the keeper tools.

John Timberlake
03-04-2011, 10:48 AM
The only one I use is a Sorby 1-1/4" roughing gouge. Anything smaller and i just use the 3/4" spindle gouge.

Bernie Weishapl
03-04-2011, 10:56 AM
I use a 3/4" and 1 1/4" roughing gouge. I do like Alan on most spindles to get them to size with a skew and peeling cut.

Kyle Iwamoto
03-04-2011, 11:13 AM
Hmmm.... Am I the only one that bought the big BB roughing gouge? I also have the HF cheapo set, and used the "small" 1" RG they have. The Big BB gouge removes tons of wood fast. The big plus of the gouge, is there is a LOT of metal on the gouge. When one spot gets dull, rotate the gouge and you have a nice sharp new edge to use.

Just my $0.02.

John Keeton
03-04-2011, 11:28 AM
Kyle, I am interested in seeing what folks are using, but it seems to me the more metal the better. If I can't get a Thompson, the BB looks to be a good buy. There will be some disagreement on this, but my feeling is that M2 HSS is just that, and that there is little difference among the brands. That, of course, is different metal entirely than the Crown PM, the Thompsons, and others.

John Fabre
03-04-2011, 11:44 AM
Doug's roughing gouge is my go to gouge, but I would like a little bigger one too like the BB 2". I don't see on Doug's site that he carries the SRG 1-1/4 anymore, maybe it wasn't a good seller.

Thom Sturgill
03-04-2011, 11:48 AM
John, I also have the BB 2" gouge and the HF and one I bought that was just a bit larger (1") than the HF (3/4") gouge. The only one I use now is the BB gouge except on the occassions when I need to rough a pen blank, and I use a skew for that. Like Kyle says, it takes a while between sharpenings as you can find another spot to cut. Also you can lay it on its side and slice like a skew for the final cleanup.
This IS a case where bigger is better.

Harry Robinette
03-04-2011, 12:45 PM
John
I use a Crown 3/4" SRG on the smaller stuff, I also have a 2 1/2" or 3"(?) Crown for the big stuff. I've done the Ellsworth thing and used my bowl gouge but I like the SRG to do what it's made for and my bowl gouge for what it's made for.The SRG is designed to cut rouge and square stock with it's front corner edge and smooth those cuts by using the large flat wings in a peeling cut after the stock is round. The bowl gouge when used to rouge stock is usally used in a side push type cut witch duals the tool faster and puts allot more stress on the tool and you then when used as a bowl gouge. JMHO.
PS: Or get an EWT rouger and use it.

Cathy Schaewe
03-04-2011, 2:40 PM
The only one I have is the 1" BB that came with the starter set I bought from PSI. I haven't used it in I don't know how long. I use the 5/8" Thompson bowl gouge instead, and I'm perfectly happy.

John Keeton
03-04-2011, 3:38 PM
Cathy, I use a SRG for rounding stock for pedestals, etc., and actually do quite a bit of shaping with it. I have even rounded some finial stock with it. The HF roughing gouge is 1" - just measured it, and I think I would do better with a little larger one for smoother cuts - though the one I have does pretty well. I agree with Harry's assessment on the use of the bowl gouge.

David E Keller
03-04-2011, 3:58 PM
I've got a cheap Woodriver(WC store brand) rouging gouge that I bought when I first started turning. It's 1", and I use it quite a bit when rounding spindle stock. I've turned a bunch of pens from start to finish with it(before I got on good terms with my skew).

I've never felt the need to go bigger or better, but then I've not used a 'high-end' roughing gouge.

Don Orr
03-04-2011, 4:24 PM
I love my Crown HSS 1 1/4" SRG. Nice thick steel with a good handle. Outstanding tool-easy to sharpen and good mass. I also started with the HF set.

Roger Chandler
03-04-2011, 4:33 PM
John,

I really like my Crown 1-3/8 inch..........it will take the corners off square stock real fast without beating me to death in the process. I also have a 3/4" but hardly ever use it since I have the 1-3/8 inch. I know of several guys who have a 1.25" and they really like it as well. I have the outside corners ground back just a hair [very slight], and that makes it not prone to catching.

Dan Forman
03-04-2011, 4:51 PM
I have a P+N 1 1/4". but I often use my homemade easy rougher for the same task, depending upon the project and the type of wood. The Crown 1 3/4 might be interesting to try, a lot of mass as well as more sharp edge to use.

Dan

Tony De Masi
03-04-2011, 5:09 PM
John, I have a 1" SRG of unknown origin that holds an edge fairly well for most of my work. For the larger stuff I do have the BB 2" model. Lot's of heft for sure but I think you may want to turn your own handle for it as it seems a bit too short for me.

Bill Hensley
03-04-2011, 5:51 PM
John, one of the easiest ways to come to terms with your skew is turning square stock round. I frequently do it just as a practice exercise, and to let it know it's not forgotten. Depending on the size of the blank I may start with the SRG to rough it in and then finish it with the skew. My SRG is probably 1" or a little more.

Ralph Lindberg
03-04-2011, 6:28 PM
John
I have the BB 2inch SRG, I also have a 1inch "Continental" design and a 1inch traditional SRG, of the three my favorite is the BB 2 inch. That being said, once the spindle is round, the gouge is put away. Long sweeps and coves, large beads, etc are all done with smaller spindle gouges

Cathy Schaewe
03-04-2011, 6:49 PM
John, did you ever hear back from Doug about whether he's making SRG's? I do understand that the SRG is made for this particular use, and I suspect I don't use my BB because I get impatient about sharpening, and know I won't have to do as much with my Thompson bowl gouge ... If he does make more, I'd probably get one ....

John Keeton
03-04-2011, 7:46 PM
Cathy, Doug sent the following email -

John,
The 1-1/4 which is made from solid stock that has a 3/4 shank. This is a heavy duty SRG that won't vibrate for more control and many use it to rough the outside of bowls because of the 3/4 inch shank that won't break. I also make a 3/4 diameter for Mark St.leger that works great on the smaller diameters... Mark sells
these on his site.
Thank you,
Doug Thompson
Thompson Lathe Tools
5479 Columbia Rd.
N. Olmsted, Ohio 44070
440-241-6360

I have emailed him back for pricing on the 1.25" SRG.

John, one of the easiest ways to come to terms with your skew is turning square stock round. I frequently do it just as a practice exercise, and to let it know it's not forgotten. Depending on the size of the blank I may start with the SRG to rough it in and then finish it with the skew. My SRG is probably 1" or a little more.Bill, when I first started turning, I acquired the Lacer DVDs and spent some time with the skew. We came to an agreement and got along fairly well until I started neglecting it in favor of doing the HFs, finials, etc. I think it is in a state of rebellion now, and it would take some serious counseling to get us on good terms again.:o;) Besides, I don't deal well with the pouting thing, and I have "moved on", so to speak.

John
I have the BB 2inch SRG, I also have a 1inch "Continental" design and a 1inch traditional SRG, of the three my favorite is the BB 2 inch. That being said, once the spindle is round, the gouge is put away. Long sweeps and coves, large beads, etc are all done with smaller spindle gougesRalph, the votes are leaning toward the BB 2"! I do a lot with the SRG, and while I am pretty comfortable with my spindle gouges, I enjoy doing the long sweeping curves with the SRG. Beads I do with my 3/8" Thompson spindle gouge.

Doug Thompson
03-04-2011, 7:55 PM
Doug's roughing gouge is my go to gouge, but I would like a little bigger one too like the BB 2". I don't see on Doug's site that he carries the SRG 1-1/4 anymore, maybe it wasn't a good seller.

I do make them a couple times a year and they sell out fast... the problem is the cost to manufacture is very high almost to high to turn a profit. If you want on the list send a email and the next batch made you'll be notified.

John Keeton
03-04-2011, 7:58 PM
Doug, if you get a chance, and see this, shoot me an email with price on the 1.25" SRG. Thanks!!!

Joe Meirhaeghe
03-04-2011, 10:01 PM
John
I have several, a 1 1/4" Record, a 1 1/2" Henry Taylor and a 1 3/4" Crown. I also have access to and use a 1 1/4" Thompson & 1" P&N.
That said I use the 1 1/2" Henry Taylor 98% of the time. I will use the Thompson or P&N on logs that have branches cut off them that are over over 3" dia. because of there large tang dia. and the pounding you get from where the limbs were.
On other thing to remember is the size & power of your lathe. I have stalled a lathes with both a 2 HP & 3 HP motors with a 1 1/2" roughing gouge. My opinion is on any lathe less than 2 HP a 1 1/4" would be as large as you could really use for anything other than light cuts.

John Keeton
03-04-2011, 10:08 PM
Joe, that may be the most useful information yet!! Since I turn on the Delta 46-460, this makes a lot of sense - glad you posted. Thanks!

Wayne Leach
03-04-2011, 11:08 PM
John,

I have been using the P&N 1-1/4 roughing gouge for over 4 years and it is one of the best turning tools I have ever used. Its very well made, rugged and has a strong mounting tang(round).
It is also capable of doing amazingly fine detail work. Purchased it from Lee Valley before I got to know Doug Thompson-his tools are second to none? Can,t go wrong with either of these makers!

Regards,
Wayne

Cathy Schaewe
03-05-2011, 9:37 AM
For those who are interested, Doug sent me an e-mail saying he's going to make another batch of SRG's in about a month.

Sean Hughto
03-05-2011, 10:08 AM
I like my P&N:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2569/4126033795_d05b6d0bc5_z.jpg

for smaller work, and for really difficult woods where I want to take smaller bites, I love my 1/2" Ashley Iles:

http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/Merchant/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=toolshop&Product_Code=IT-RRG.XX&Category_Code=WIR