PDA

View Full Version : Wall/Paint color question

Tom Hildebrand
03-04-2011, 7:24 AM
I know it's much about personal preference, but is there any advise out there on what color my garage shop wall should be? I'm think white is brightest, but maybe harsh on the eyes.

thanks

Paul Wunder
03-04-2011, 7:43 AM
Just had the same question and concern. I painted my shop a pale yellow semi-gloss and I am quite pleased. I also thought that white was too start and I chose the color that gave me personal pleasure.

Chris Damm
03-04-2011, 8:08 AM
I painted mine a flat (I guess it might have been satin) white. It really makes a difference without any glare.

George Clark
03-04-2011, 10:05 AM
Semi-gloss white. Totally satisfied, no glare problem, would do it again.

Dan Hintz
03-04-2011, 10:12 AM
If you're totally against white, select a very light gray...

Jeff Monson
03-04-2011, 11:01 AM
If you're totally against white, select a very light gray...

Thats what I did. I'm please with the gray, but may have gone to a lighter shade tan if I had to do it again. Dust on the walls
would show less with tan.

Dan Hintz
03-04-2011, 11:28 AM
Jeff,

I choose gray over tan because the gray will not affect the color of the light reflecting off of the walls nearly as much. If you go with a colored wall over a neutral one, your projects will look different in the shop than in most other spots.

Peter Melanson
03-04-2011, 12:15 PM
I did mine white i think it was flat or semi gloss. No glare problems what so ever. I go this suggestions from 2 different books about setting up WW shops. It helps to make it brighter especially if you do not have the best lighting setup and again no glare.

Peter

Joe Angrisani
03-04-2011, 12:16 PM
Reading down the posts I was going to say just what Dan posted. The inner photographer in me is always aware of the color of light in a room, and it is most changed by wall and ceiling colors. I would only go with white or a shade of grey, so colors remain "correct".

Ole Anderson
03-04-2011, 7:37 PM
Behr ultra pure white, satin enamel, for the new walls that got painted, some were left pegboard brown or OSB wood color, too many tools already on the piecemealed walls to want to paint them. Flat paint marks too easily for my taste.

Joe A Faulkner
03-04-2011, 8:03 PM
I installed three sky lights, went with flat white on the ceiling and three walls, and a medium-dark butter cream on another wall just to guard against it being to sterile.

Tom Hildebrand
03-05-2011, 7:34 AM
Thanks,,, white it is. that's good news too, because I have 4 gallons of white left over from a different project. Electrician comming today. Maybe I'm actually going to have a real shop here soon. Pics to come!! wagoo!!

glenn bradley
03-05-2011, 9:47 AM
Semi gloss white here too and very happy. Gloss would work too but I would avoid flat. The increase in light distribution without changing any lights was significant.

anthony wall
03-05-2011, 9:06 PM
white mat finish is the way to go ,i dont see any use for cleanable gloss or semi gloss ,no one ever cleans the walls they repaint

Chris Fournier
03-05-2011, 10:10 PM
Living in the northern hemisphere can get you down in the late fall and winter months - no sun. My last two shops have been painted a light yellow which is very "up lifting" regardless of what's going on outside. I keep the ceilings white to reflect as much light as possible.

My finishing room is white. White can be trickey to get right, too cold and blue is all too easy. I had flat paint in my last shop and that was a huge mistake - every speck of dust hangs on that wall!

I think that a well painted shop pays huge dividends over the years. For me, hitting the lights as I enter my warm yellow shop makes me feel like being there and working. I need all the motivation that I can get.

Mike Desch
03-07-2011, 12:29 AM
In my case, Behr Polar Bear in Satin sheen has been the winner.

I like the way the white walls make the shop seem larger, and certainly more bright.
However, like Ole, I like Behr Ultra Pure white on the ceiling (but still in Satin sheen).