PDA

View Full Version : Drill handle

Ron Stadler
03-04-2011, 12:11 AM
Well after reading one of John's last post I decided in wouldn't hurt to clean up my garage (shop) a bit:eek:, and then I decided to turn something, something being this drill handle. I bought the 1/2" drill bit a couple of weeks ago intending to put a handle on it so I can predrill my hf's, well here it is - figure I got about 8" left of bit to get the job done, so guess this will be my limit on hf's.:)
Oh, the handle is from some Honey locust I came across.

Tim Thiebaut
03-04-2011, 12:35 AM
Very nice! I did one similar to this myself a month or so ago...love making tools for around the shop.

Dan Forman
03-04-2011, 3:18 AM
That's a good looker!

Dan

John Keeton
03-04-2011, 6:45 AM
Ron, congrats on the clean up!!! Nice looking handle, and I like your design better than the one I used on my drill. You will like using the drill for HFs.

Steve Schlumpf
03-04-2011, 7:36 AM
Good looking handle! Did you epoxy the drill bit in place?

Peter Fabricius
03-04-2011, 9:41 AM
Nice handle Ron;
I have a question about slipping in your hand. How do you control a 1/2" bit by hand. Does it not want to spin in your hand?
I use a MT#2 5/8" long drill bit so I can hold it in the tailstock and then I feel secure. I just mark the depth wanted with a piece of tape and drill to that depth.
thanks
Peter F.

Ron Stadler
03-04-2011, 10:26 AM
Good looking handle! Did you epoxy the drill bit in place?

No Steve, Iv'e got the bit deep in the handle though and its a pretty snug fit so hopefully it will stay put.

Ron Stadler
03-04-2011, 10:29 AM
Nice handle Ron;
I have a question about slipping in your hand. How do you control a 1/2" bit by hand. Does it not want to spin in your hand?
I use a MT#2 5/8" long drill bit so I can hold it in the tailstock and then I feel secure. I just mark the depth wanted with a piece of tape and drill to that depth.
thanks
Peter F.

Well not really sure yet Peter, haven't really tried a 1/2" by hand yet but I plan on taking it slow and backing it out often to clear the shavings. I will have to try it out and let ya know the results but you may have a point there.

Mark Hubl
03-04-2011, 10:34 AM
Looks good Ron. You should get a lot of use out of it.

John Keeton
03-04-2011, 10:35 AM
Nice handle Ron;
thanks
Peter F.Peter, I use a 3/8" twist bit similar to the one Ron has handled. It self-centers, and really is quite easy to drill straight in by hand. I suspect were it dull, that might be a different matter, but I don't have any difficulty at all. It really helps with the hollowing. Of course, using the MT bit will work, too. But, the handled bit is quick and easy.

David E Keller
03-04-2011, 10:50 AM
Nice looking handle. I did something similar except I mounted a keyless Jacobs chuck into the handle. I use it to hold a large bit for drilling out forms, and I also use it to hold small Allen wrench hollowing tools.

Bernie Weishapl
03-04-2011, 10:53 AM
Nice looking handle. I have on similar to it and it works well.

Ron Stadler
03-04-2011, 11:17 AM
Thats a good idea David, I might have to try that as Iv'e been wanting to make some small hollowing tools using Allen wrenches.

bob svoboda
03-04-2011, 11:20 AM
I have a similar set up with a 1/2" bit. The only time I've had a problem is when I tried to drill a pilot hole first-I couldn't stop the hand held bit from spinning. Any other time-no pilot hole-no problem.

Brian McInturff
03-04-2011, 12:06 PM
Nice looking handle. I did something similar except I mounted a keyless Jacobs chuck into the handle. I use it to hold a large bit for drilling out forms, and I also use it to hold small Allen wrench hollowing tools.

Dave, I'd be interested in seeing this. I've got a couple different size drill chucks but I'd like to see yours to get an idea of what it would look like and if it's what I'm thinking.

Harry Robinette
03-04-2011, 1:13 PM
As long as you keep it cleaned and in green wood clean every 1" you normally don't get any spinning.I've been using a 3/8 bit for years with no problem.
Mine is epoxied into the handle.

Christopher Dopp
03-04-2011, 2:42 PM
I made this one out of some beech and a drill chuck I had lying around. I figure someday I may use something other than a drill bit with it.

David E Keller
03-04-2011, 4:11 PM
I made this one out of some beech and a drill chuck I had lying around. I figure someday I may use something other than a drill bit with it.

That's pretty much the set up I have. I primarily use it for depth drilling and miniature hollowing, but it'll hold a spindle/detail gouge among other things.

Leo Van Der Loo
03-04-2011, 4:40 PM
I use an adjustable wrench on a 1/2" chuck with a tang on the end, that way I'm able to keep the chuck from twisting around, I also made a handle with a female hex insert in it, where 1/4" shanks fit into, like this small chuck with a 1/4' shank or hollowing tools made from 1/4" hex shank tool steel.

185133 185132

Doug Wolf
03-04-2011, 4:48 PM
Here is one of my drill chuck handles made from white oak. The chuck is keyless from a burnt up 3/8" drill.

Thomas Canfield
03-04-2011, 10:32 PM
Seeing your drill bit I am reminded of seeing a masonery bit (YES - a masonary bit) bit used at SWAT last year by one of the demonstrators to start his hole in a hollow form. The cutting edges were sharpened and, being slightly larger that the spiral shank diameter, you could cut by hand (without a handle) a fairly deep hole and the chips came out without packing. I ended up buying a 1/2" x 10" bit at the orange box for that purpose, but have not sharpened it yet.

Ron Stadler
03-04-2011, 10:49 PM
Here is one of my drill chuck handles made from white oak. The chuck is keyless from a burnt up 3/8" drill.

nice handle, I like the chuck idea.

Ron Stadler
03-04-2011, 10:51 PM
Seeing your drill bit I am reminded of seeing a masonery bit (YES - a masonary bit) bit used at SWAT last year by one of the demonstrators to start his hole in a hollow form. The cutting edges were sharpened and, being slightly larger that the spiral shank diameter, you could cut by hand (without a handle) a fairly deep hole and the chips came out without packing. I ended up buying a 1/2" x 10" bit at the orange box for that purpose, but have not sharpened it yet.
That interesting, might have to give it a try. I have a few of those bits lying around so what the heck.