PDA

View Full Version : Thompson tools

Harry Robinette
03-03-2011, 10:41 PM
Went to see Mr.Thompson today as always great place for killing an hour or so. Of cause I had to buy a gouge.:)(my own idea never any pressure from Doug ) Bought a 5/8 V bowl gouge and handle and a handle for a 5/8 roughing gouge which he is out of right now but well be getting some in .Oh boy another run to Mr. Thompson's love that trip.:D Really Doug's only about 45 min.up the road.I'll have pictures when I find a home for them.I think Doug's tools are the best and I love the handles they fit your hand better then any I've found.
Harry

Steve Vaughan
03-03-2011, 10:50 PM
I'll get me some one day...one day.

Richard Madden
03-03-2011, 11:01 PM
The only Thompson tool I own is a 5/8 V bowl gouge. It is my go-to tool for much of my work. I need to order some of his detail gouges next.

Bernie Weishapl
03-03-2011, 11:05 PM
Harry I own several and love them.

Steve Schlumpf
03-03-2011, 11:51 PM
My go-to is a Thompson 5/8" V, mounted on a Monster handle that is loaded with BBs! Love that tool!

Ron Stadler
03-04-2011, 12:17 AM
From what I heard it sounds like a good tool, so Iv'e been meaning to try one, well my birthday's real soon if anyone want to get me something early.:D:rolleyes::D

Tim Thiebaut
03-04-2011, 12:34 AM
There on my list for someday as well....that dang list just keeps getting bigger all the time though....

Kathy Marshall
03-04-2011, 2:14 AM
Doug makes some great tools, and they really are priced reasonably, and for those of us that are financially challenged, turning your own handles can be fun and really make the tools affordable! (one of these days I'll invest in one of his new handles).

Rick Markham
03-04-2011, 2:42 AM
My Thompson 5/8" V bowl gouge I use almost exclusively on all of my bowls, you really can't beat it! I love his handles too, they fit my hand perfectly, and their shape helps me "index" the tool nearly instantly upon picking it up without even having to look at the cutting edge. I enjoyed talking to Doug on the phone, if he was 45mins up the road from me he would have to chase me off... I'd talk to him all day.

Doug Thompson
03-04-2011, 5:48 AM
Harry,
It was good to see you today. You can't say what you saw but that's how a production shop works, one machine is setup to run one part. The lathe I was running will continue on the same part for 3 more days then be changed over to the next, those parts will then run on a mill to be drilled, chamfered and tapped. Rough stock to finish product... the new products fit into the rotation.

Brian McInturff
03-04-2011, 10:25 AM
Harry,
It was good to see you today. You can't say what you saw but that's how a production shop works, one machine is setup to run one part. The lathe I was running will continue on the same part for 3 more days then be changed over to the next, those parts will then run on a mill to be drilled, chamfered and tapped. Rough stock to finish product... the new products fit into the rotation.

NEW PRODUCTS????????????? Oh Boy, time to break the bank card out again!

Brian McInturff
03-04-2011, 10:34 AM
A tool I don't see mentioned much and that I found to be a great tool is the fluteless gouge. I see Doug makes those too. I have a Glaser fluteless gouge and it has become a favorite for me. If you don't have one I'd recommend you try one out.

Jon Prouty
03-04-2011, 11:47 AM
Harry,

Doug - you gotta give us a hint here. Are we going to be seeing a carbide insert tool or perhaps a hollowing system? New products!!!!! Now why did I have to read this thread???? If no hints are coming, can you at least give us heads up on when you will be announcing a new product?

Jon

Jon Nuckles
03-04-2011, 11:52 AM
Doug's 5/8 v bowl gouge in his handle is also my go-to tool. I have a small detail gouge as well, which has been very helpful as I attempt finial work.

Cathy Schaewe
03-04-2011, 2:43 PM
I have a number of Doug's tools as well, and the 5/8" V gouge is my go-to tool. I use them in foam-covered handles made by Paul Bennett, which I absolutely love. I'll have to give Doug's a try one of these days, though. He wasn't making them when I got the others.

Quinn McCarthy
03-04-2011, 3:29 PM
My wife just called to say 5/8" V gouge came in the mail. I got the Bill Grumbine model and handle. Cannot wait to try it.

Quinn