PDA

View Full Version : G1066Z Dual Drum Sander

Martin Gerber
03-03-2011, 10:17 PM
I am looking at purchasing a Grizzly G1066Z Dual Drum Sander.

I am interested in any feedback.

One area that I am specifically interested in is whether the hook and loop paper attachment is truely an improvement or if has any issues related to it. Specifcally, I am wondering if the hook and loop effects the flatness since I would guess it may be more apt to be lay less consistantly against the drum vs a non hook and loop.

Thank you in advance for your input.

MARK D Sullivan
03-04-2011, 11:04 PM
I purchased one about three months ago. I don't know how I got along without it. the hook and loop is nice but then I don't have much to compare it to. I do have a friend that switched it to hook and loop and says he has less trouble with it.

Chip Lindley
03-05-2011, 1:13 AM
...looking at purchasing a Grizzly G1066Z Dual Drum Sander.

One area that I am specifically interested in is whether the hook and loop paper attachment is truely an improvement or if has any issues related to it. Specifcally, I am wondering if the hook and loop effects the flatness since I would guess it may be more apt to be lay less consistantly against the drum vs a non hook and loop.

Martin, it is pretty much the opposite. Have you ever tried to *move" Velcro without completely ripping it off and re-attaching? Consider how many sq. inches are involved on a 6" x 24" drum and the hook & loop RULEZ! Velcro covering of the drum interlocks with felt-backed sanding roll to make a tenacious bond. Only the tails of the spiral-wrapped sanding roll must be held down with that strong nylon-stranded packing tape.

The Velcro covering is a small investment, but buying felt-backed sanding rolls is more expensive than regular rolls. Only drawback to Velcro is to never become too agressive with sanding depth. The paper could heat up enough to melt the nylon Velcro hooks, making it fail to function.

The G1066Z has the adjustable rear drum. This is invaluable for fine adjustment. You will use it lots to tweak the rear drum. If you can't afford a Woodmaster, I would go for the 1066Z!