PDA

View Full Version : Little Black Dog

Jon Grider
03-03-2011, 8:05 PM
The cards were stacked against her from day one, abandoned at about 4 weeks old,undernourished, belly distended from masses of worms thriving inside of her and frostbitten feet. I reluctantly took her home anyway, my 4 year old son had asked for a small black puppy, and she pitifully came home with me in a small cardboard box. My son, Gage, was battling a bout of the flu, but came down the steps to greet me like he usually did when I came home from work. I placed the box on the small child sized cherry table I had made for him and the pup whimpered from within. Gage, even with a fever, opened the box and in a voice I'll always remember, excitedly said "It's a puuuuuppppppyyyyy."
Gage named her "LeReeza", where he got that name I'll never know, but that was her official name, but for convenience was shortened to "Reece".
No one could ever quite figure out what strange concoction of breeds she was, short stubby legs, sausage shaped body, but with a cocker spaniel forehead and ears.
She made our vet a rich man, this Reece. Various afflictions always seemed to plague her, chronic ear infections, a horrible spider bite that caused a baseball sized sore on her back, and then about 6 years ago, cancer that required removal of her glans. In spite of her health issues, she always seemed to love life and loved to be with her "pack", our small family.
She loved chasing the squirrels out her territory, playing fetch tirelessly with Gage or whomever else didn't mind handling a slobber soaked tennis ball, and taking walks in the woods.
I could always count on a warm tail wagging greeting when I got home from work from this little black dog who had such a huge heart. After thirteen years of giving joy and love and receiving the same, her heart stopped yesterday.
Yes, she was just a dog, but at the same time much more than that, a much loved member of our family that enriched us profoundly. Amazing, the bond between an animal and humans. She is missed greatly and will be remembered by our family forever.

Joe Bradshaw
03-03-2011, 8:46 PM
Jon, I feel your pain. Pets are members of our families.

Greg Peterson
03-03-2011, 9:39 PM
Sorry to hear about your loss. Those that have a pet know that one can not diminish their value.

Jim O'Dell
03-03-2011, 10:10 PM
Bless you for rescuing Reece and giving her a wonderful home. That is what rescue is all about. Jim.

Joe Angrisani
03-03-2011, 10:18 PM
THE DOG POEM.....

So this is where we part, My Friend,
And you'll run on around the bend.
Gone from sight but not from mind,
New pleasures there you'll surely find.

One long embrace before you leave.
Share one last look before I grieve.
I will go on. I'll find the strength.
Life measures quality, not it's length.

There'll be others, that much is true,
But they are they, and they aren't you.
And I, the master, or so I thought,
Remember well all that you taught.

Your place I'll hold, you will be missed.
The fur I stroked. The nose I kissed.
And as you journey to your rest,
Take with you this....I loved you best.

Danny Hamsley
03-03-2011, 10:40 PM
What a great story. Your life was better because of the little black dog.

Leigh Costello
03-03-2011, 11:16 PM
Jon, there is no such thing as "just a dog." Sorry for your loss.

John Pratt
03-04-2011, 10:25 AM
Sorry to hear about your loss. I actually got a little chocked up reading your story. Thinking about the loss of my own dog a few years ago now.

Brent Ring
03-04-2011, 11:03 AM
Sorry to hear about your loss. I actually got a little chocked up reading your story. Thinking about the loss of my own dog a few years ago now.

+1 on all comments. I have a Schnoodle that came to my home abandoned about a year ago. He was old then, and getting older still. My son moved back home with his MinPin puppy and it has breathed more life back into the schnoodle. I have a real soft spot for animals, and love the wagging tails when I get home as well. All the choked up part is why I dont want any more animals after these pass on.

Very sorry for your loss!

Paul McGaha
03-04-2011, 11:59 AM
Jon,

I understand your loss. Our family has gone thru it also. I hope after you guys heal some you get another dog. Few things are better than having a dog.

PHM

sarah schell
03-04-2011, 3:41 PM
I'm sorry for your loss. We have lost several pets over the years, and it really is like losing a family member.

Jon Grider
03-04-2011, 4:06 PM
Thank you all for your kind words and support, they are much appreciated.