PDA

View Full Version : Monster rig arrived, and of course I'm already contemplating tweaks...

Alan Zenreich
03-03-2011, 7:16 PM
The long awaited package finally arrived today (order placed New Years Eve).

Assembly was simple, and the machining is first rate (though the base has kind of homely welds, but that's just cosmetic).

A few weeks ago I started a small buckeye burl hollow form using handheld Nano Revolution tools, but decided to put it aside and do the final hollowing when the Monster came in.

So today I mounted the angled cutter from the Nano tool in place of the stock Monster cutters. Everything looks good, and of course my first hollowing attempt with the rig will be making the walls about 1/10" thick, so precision is the name of the game.

I spoke to Randy today, as my first inclination for small projects like this is to use a shorter boring bar, which would move the articulated arm closer to the headstock and shorten the laser arm. I don't know if this would be a good tweak or not, but it's something to think about. He doesn't make shorter bars, but it wouldn't be a big deal for me to turn one on my mini-metal lathe.

Also for small items, it might be useful to have something to more precisely position the laser. Perhaps something closer to the Don Derry laser mount that uses screws to move the light.

In any event, I'll play with the stock rig and see how it goes. So far, I'm having fun playing with the new toys.

Yes, I know... no photos, didn't happen... so here are a few from today.

Bernie Weishapl
03-03-2011, 7:33 PM
Congrats Alan. You are going to love it. I do love mine. It makes hollowing a lot easier on my old hands.

Chris Stolicky
03-03-2011, 8:04 PM
Congrats, Alan.

Peter Fabricius
03-03-2011, 8:36 PM
Congratulations Alan;
I am always interested in tweeking stuff. Your questions are great. Can you make a short tool holder, about 2" long plus a tenon, to hold the nano tools and fit into the Monster instead of the long tool bar?
I notice that you have the base sitting out to the front of the Lathe. If you rotate it toward the back you will have more room for your elbows to work the tool.
I made a little handle to help with the plastic wing nut/bolts and put deep texturing on it to help get a grip. Pic attached.
I also cut my 3/16" cutter in half to allow the cutter to go into a 1" hole, works very well and it gives me two cutters from one and is easy to exchange for a good sharp edge always. I suppose I could sharpen the half bits on both ends and have 4 cutting edges from the one original piece.
All the best with your Monster, hope to see your pieces soon.
Peter F.

Tim Thiebaut
03-03-2011, 8:41 PM
That monster is very cool! I want one of those badly, but as with all things it will have to be when I get the money up. Peter, very nice knob helper you made there!

David E Keller
03-03-2011, 9:12 PM
Congrats on the new tool!

Alan Zenreich
03-03-2011, 9:16 PM
Peter,

I'm experimenting with the base position and the orientation of the articulating points.

Part of the fussing has to do with Lauren's lathe being on the same workbench as mine. There's only 8" between the two lathe beds, so I'm trying not to bump into things like her dust collection hoses.

Steve Schlumpf
03-03-2011, 11:55 PM
Congrats on your new Monster system - you will love using it!

Bill Blasic
03-04-2011, 5:54 AM
One of the things that makes the Monster systems so easy to use for me is how easy it is to set the laser. Also the laser does not dance around as much as others that I have used. The more you use it the more you know that you cannot do without it.
Bill

John Keeton
03-04-2011, 6:39 AM
Alan, congrats!!! Not sure what improvements could be made on the laser lockdown. I never mess with the vertical attachment. I have it just tight enough that the bar can be moved left or right, but not so loose that the laser drifts. That way, I only loosen the nut that permits extension/retention of the laser bar. Just takes seconds.

On the base, most of the time, having the base on the side you show, but at a 45* angle, will work better. There are those times it needs to be moved in a variety of positions to best accomplish the task.

bob svoboda
03-04-2011, 10:33 AM
Congrat's Alan. Looks like a great tool.

Jon Nuckles
03-04-2011, 11:58 AM
Congrats, and thanks for the pics. Awaiting delivery of mine, and seeing this makes the anticipation sweeter!