PDA

View Full Version : Red Cedar Potpourri Pot

Bill Bulloch
03-03-2011, 6:54 PM
I want this Eastern Red Cedar to keep it smell, so I did not use a finish on it only buffed it up. Does anyone know of a finish that will let the aroma come thru?

David E Keller
03-03-2011, 6:58 PM
Nice work, Bill. I would imagine that most finishes are going to hide the smell... A thin coat of wax may allow some smell through. Of course, the inside is going to be unfinished, so you'll still get some cedar aroma there(if the potpourri doesn't cover it up).

Bernie Weishapl
03-03-2011, 7:34 PM
That is a nice looking pot Bill. Well done.

Michael James
03-03-2011, 7:41 PM
Nice one Bill! I think by definition a "finish" would seal the wood. I was told to leave the inside dry. I think you can add cedar oil if you're after that scent long term.

Tim Thiebaut
03-03-2011, 8:29 PM
That is a very nice little pot Bill

charlie knighton
03-03-2011, 10:25 PM
very nice, could you tell me if you wet the cedar, that the aroma is stronger?????????

Ron Stadler
03-04-2011, 12:23 AM
Nice Potpourri Pot Bill, not to sure about finish, but I thought they all lost there smell after awhile and were then for food or whatever.

Dennis Simmons
03-04-2011, 6:26 AM
use food grade mineral oil. I use it on red cedar and it will not seal the aroma. Get it at the drug store or, food store in the laxative dept.

Keith E Byrd
03-04-2011, 6:30 AM
Very nice!

John Keeton
03-04-2011, 6:43 AM
Nice work on the pot pourri bowl! I have used that hummingbird top a couple of times, and the ladies like it.

Finish on cedar is difficult because of the inherent oils in cedar. Mineral oil will never set up, but can be renewed. I would think just finishing the exterior in your choice of finish, leaving the interior unfinished and adding cedar oil every now and then would work. But, isn't the purpose of a pot pourri bowl to permit the use of various pot pourri with a variety of scents? Could be that the cedar scent may or may not compliment whatever pot pourri is used.

Bill Bulloch
03-04-2011, 7:49 AM
Nice work on the pot pourri bowl! I have used that hummingbird top a couple of times, and the ladies like it.

Finish on cedar is difficult because of the inherent oils in cedar. Mineral oil will never set up, but can be renewed. I would think just finishing the exterior in your choice of finish, leaving the interior unfinished and adding cedar oil every now and then would work. But, isn't the purpose of a pot pourri bowl to permit the use of various pot pourri with a variety of scents? Could be that the cedar scent may or may not compliment whatever pot pourri is used.

Of course you are right. My wife has one filled with some awful smelling stuff. This piece, however is going to a lady that wants to keep the Cedar Aroma. I think she is going to put it in a Bathroom (or who knows she might have a gerbil). I saved her a bag of the chips to put in it. I hadn't thought of cedar oil but will suggest it to her -- wonder if that could be bought locally?

Thanks everyone for your replies.

John Keeton
03-04-2011, 8:38 AM
Bill, cedar oil is pretty common. I haven't bought any in a long while, but it is available on line very affordably.