PDA

View Full Version : Turbo Tax is a life saver

dennis thompson
03-03-2011, 3:58 PM
Just finished my income tax:mad:
Turbo Tax is a lifesaver, don't know how I did my taxes without it:)

Dennis

Chuck Wintle
03-03-2011, 4:11 PM
Just finished my income tax:mad:
Turbo Tax is a lifesaver, don't know how I did my taxes without it:)

Dennis

I'll second that!

Charles McKinley
03-04-2011, 12:37 AM
Motion passed

Bill Edwards(2)
03-04-2011, 7:13 AM
Stop, please! I get motion sick. :D

Matt Meiser
03-04-2011, 7:28 AM
I only ever had to do 1040EZ's before I started using it. Can't imagine figuring out all the forms without Turbo Tax. I just checked and I've been doing mine electronically since 1997.

We did use Tax Cut a couple years, back when the stores were running deals where you could buy Turbo Tax or Tax Cut and get 752 different things free after rebate. IIRC Tax Cut teamed with Norton and Turbo Tax teamed with McAfee for a few years there. Back when both were at least 1/2 way decent products.

Montgomery Scott
03-04-2011, 8:47 AM
I started to use it after my 2006 return when my taxes got complicated and I made a few mistakes on the paper form. I calculated my federal income tax to be just over $30k. Fortunately the IRS found my mistakes and after I corrected them my tax was down to $25k. I've used it ever since. It's so much easier than looking for some of the more obscure deductions and trying to figure out the convoluted instructions associated with some of them.

Jason Roehl
03-04-2011, 8:56 AM
I've been using Turbo Tax online for 4-5 years now. I can't believe I held out that long. I'm self-employed, and I used to spend 8-12 hours doing my taxes every year. Now I can do them in under 2 hours.

Brian Tymchak
03-04-2011, 11:19 AM
I've used it since 1996. With the exception of 1 year where I had to get into the worksheets and forms directly to correctly show gain/loss on options and company stock purchases, it has been pretty good.

Bryan Slimp
03-04-2011, 11:34 AM
There is an option that will fill out the necessary stock +/- info. I use the internet version of TT and have used their products since probably 1998.

Steven DeMars
03-04-2011, 2:43 PM
I use a "tax lady" I have known for 43 years . . . she has been doing bookkeeping and taxes for 45+ years . . . .

I used Turbo Tax one time . . . really nice, but it was not aware of state tax credit that I missed . . . .

I'm back to tax lady again . . .

Steve

David Weaver
03-04-2011, 3:08 PM
Motion passed

I missed the meeting, where's the minutes?

Ben Hatcher
03-04-2011, 4:24 PM
I use an accountant. I used to use turbo tax. I hated every second of it and missed a huge deduction one year. The $150 I pay to have someone else do my taxes is the best money I spend all year.

dennis thompson
03-04-2011, 4:39 PM
Montgomery
My taxes are a little complicated so when I finish I have the $39.95 review that Turbo tax offers done. I like the idea of a second set of eyes looking at my return.Speaking of complicated, did you ever try to do the alternative minimum tax by hand? One year the IRS told me I had to submit the AMT tax form. I had worked in finance my whole life & I couldn't get past the third line, impossible! I called Turbo tax & they told me that turbo tax had done it, but not printed it out since I wasn't required to pay it, so I printed it out & sent it to the IRS & that was the end of it.
Dennis

Montgomery Scott
03-04-2011, 6:02 PM
Montgomery
My taxes are a little complicated so when I finish I have the $39.95 review that Turbo tax offers done. I like the idea of a second set of eyes looking at my return.Speaking of complicated, did you ever try to do the alternative minimum tax by hand? One year the IRS told me I had to submit the AMT tax form. I had worked in finance my whole life & I couldn't get past the third line, impossible! I called Turbo tax & they told me that turbo tax had done it, but not printed it out since I wasn't required to pay it, so I printed it out & sent it to the IRS & that was the end of it.
Dennis

Yes, I did the AMT by hand the one year a made a few mistakes on my return. They include a flow chart with that thing. I was able to get through it but it took about 30 minutes of following their, "if this, then that, otherwise this, unless that, then do this..."

Jim Koepke
03-05-2011, 4:06 AM
With living in one state and owing taxes from income in another state, rental property, mortgages, depreciation agricultural income, buying and selling old tools and other expenses it is a lot easier on my mind just to take all the paper down to H & R block and let them figure it out.

jtk