PDA

View Full Version : Snowed in

Dan Mages
01-22-2005, 11:24 AM
ARGH!!!!

I am supposed to leave in 1 hour on a plane to sunny Miami Beach. Why am I posting here?? Because there is a blizzard outside that is in the process of dumping around 14-18 inches of powdery snow on the ground!!! Luckily, southwest will let me reschedule my flight for tomorrow morning.

Dan :(

Jerry Olexa
01-22-2005, 11:34 AM
Dan I'm in McHenry county(illinois). Went to get paper this AM and at least 1 ft of snow on driveway. Even the dog was hesitant... Good decision. Go tomorrow Enjoy your vacation..

David Wilson
01-22-2005, 12:05 PM
Dan
I think you got the same storm that went through here yesterday. The Fargo airport was shut down for a while and I29 & I94 were just reopened this AM. The way I look at it is at least there are no mosquitos. LOL

Dan Mages
01-22-2005, 12:21 PM
To add insult to injury, the ripcord on my snow blower broke as I tried to start it up. Its not fun shoveling 8" of white powder by hand.

Dan

Steve Ash
01-22-2005, 12:40 PM
We are getting hit too, here in south central Michigan.....nothing to do but go out to the shop, darn!:D

Karl Laustrup
01-22-2005, 12:41 PM
Hang in there Dan, "Spring" is on the way!! :D :D

Rob Russell
01-22-2005, 12:57 PM
The white stuff will be starting here within the next few hours. Forecast is for 12" to 20", depending on where in the state you are.

Doug Shepard
01-22-2005, 1:22 PM
Even the dog was hesitant...
Yeah. My little darling woke me up at 3AM wanting to go out for a potty break. She took one look and decided she didn't need to go that bad. There was about 4" then and it hasn't yet stopped. Finally had to push the dog out the door around 7:30 cuz I knew she had to go. Once out there she ran thru the snow up to her chest, did her thing and came right back. We're up to about 8"-9" so far.

Chris DeHut
01-22-2005, 1:22 PM
Well, if the wind is blowing in your hood like it is over hear (Algonquin) you will quickly see that whatever you shoveled is now filled in again with drifts.

Make me anxious for spring all the more!

Have a fun vacation Dan.

Chris DeHut

Glenn Clabo
01-22-2005, 1:32 PM
Hey...we have another "Perfect Storm" brewing here on the coast...check out the forcast!!!!!!
Newport County, RI Blizzard Warning:
Blizzard warning remains in effect from 5 pm this afternoon to 6 pm est Sunday,
Snow will begin across western rhode island and southern worcester county between 2 and 4 pm this afternoon, and will quickly overspread the remainder of rhode island and eastern massachusetts by nightfall.
The height of the storm will occur tonight and much of Sunday morning. Snow will likely fall at the rate of 3 inches per hour for several hours overnight. Strong northeast winds will increase to over 35 mph for a time tonight and Sunday morning. Along the coast, wind gusts between 60 and 70 mph are expected late tonight and Sunday morning. Even hurricane force gusts to 75 mph are possible along the outer cape and nantucket coast during Sunday morning. Gusts close to 50 mph are likely over exposed interior terrain.
The strong winds will cause severe blowing and drifting snow with whiteout conditions at times. The winds likely will also trigger scattered power outages near the coast, and to a lesser extent inland. Over cape cod, nantucket and marthas vineyard, the snow will likely be of a somewhat wetter consistency, and thus create the risk for even more widespread power outages.
In addition, the cold temperatures and strong winds will cause wind chills between 10 and 20 below late tonight. This will add to the danger for any one who ventures outdoors tonight.
The snow will taper off to snow showers by late Sunday afternoon or evening. Considerable blowing and drifting snow will persist into sunday evening across exposed areas.
Total accumulations will be on the order of 30 inches, with amounts as high as 3 feet possible. Additional accumulating snowfall may continue on the cape and islands into Sunday night.

Jim Becker
01-22-2005, 3:10 PM
The white stuff will be starting here within the next few hours. Forecast is for 12" to 20", depending on where in the state you are.It's "here", Robster!! We're already at about 6 inches after about three hours and it's not supposed to stop until mid-tomorrow. Very cold, too...so much so, that I don't thing I'll be in the shop at all this weekend. Drat!!

Sorry about your flight needing rescheduled, Dan. But you don't want to mix airplanes, excessive snow and possible icing. Spend the day chasing SWMBO around a bit to take your mind off the delay... :D

Matt Meiser
01-22-2005, 3:55 PM
I have no idea how much we've gotten. I have bare spots and ones 2+ feet deep due to the drifting. The National Weather Service here is saying if you go out, you are risking your life. I've never seen them put it so bluntly. I'm not even going to bother trying to plow until tomorrow.

Lou Morrissette
01-22-2005, 4:06 PM
Sorry to hear about your flight, Dan but at least you'll be out of it by tomorrow. Check out Glenn's response to see what we're in for.:eek: Looks like lots of shop time for at least the next two days.:) That is, if we don't lose power.:(
Have a good trip.

Lou

Dan Mages
01-22-2005, 6:38 PM
I just finished shoveling the dive way for the 4th time. Now where is the Icy Hot? I think I have around 12-14 inches at the moment.

John. You are welcome down here to help plow me out. However, you might not want to wear that jacket. You may find yourself burried head first in a snow drift!!

Everyone be careful tonight and tomorrow!! This storm is not ment to be messed with.

Dan

Dave Brandt
01-23-2005, 11:59 AM
Geez Dan, why didn't ya just have Gort melt it all! :D

Tyler Howell
01-23-2005, 12:12 PM
It's tough all over

Mike Cutler
01-23-2005, 12:22 PM
Tyler. You definitely gotta be a "Glass half full" type of guy. I just spent 2-3 hours shoveling, and now I'm laughing. Thanks for the pic ;)

Jim Becker
01-23-2005, 2:29 PM
Although I prefer the warmer weather, it actually is quite nice looking outside with some real snow. Much of the winter here is usually devoid of the white stuff. Not so this weekend!!

Jeff Sudmeier
01-23-2005, 7:57 PM
I spent all day yesterday in airports fighting delays. We were supposed to be home by 2pm and got home at 1:30 am!! Should have just stayed in tampa :)

Kent Cori
01-23-2005, 8:07 PM
Now I remember why I moved from Wisconsin to Florida! :D

Don't worry folks, we didn't escape unharmed. Today it barely made it to the 50s. :rolleyes: