PDA

View Full Version : Record 060 1/2 and 09 1/2 Block Planes

Joerg Bullmann
03-03-2011, 7:42 AM
Hi there,

Finding out about block plane options on the web I came across two Record block planes, the 060 1/2 and the 09 1/2. They both have very similar (if not identical) dimensions, same low angle and adjustable mouth. The mechanism for cutter adjustment looks different, though. The 060 1/2 seems to have been introduced in 1982 whereas the 09 1/2 in 1934.

Does anyone here know what the advantages of one would be over the other? Why do they redesign something that has been in use for almost 50 years and then still keep the original design in the product line as well?

I haven't got a block plane but might want one. Would any of those two be something I could experiment with, learn tuning and adjusting?

Cheers,
Joerg

Michelle Rich
03-03-2011, 9:13 AM
. these two are at the lower end of the spectrum of acceptable planes. I have the low angle and it does OK if grain is not too gnarly. As a starter they are ok. If you stick with pine, walnut, cherry, they should do ok, with them

Mike Siemsen
03-03-2011, 9:26 AM
Joerg,
Go to Patrick Leach's website to learn about these planes in their Stanley configuration./http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan0.htm
Stanley made the 9 1/2 from 1873 until 1981 and the 60 1/2 fom 1902 until 1982. The 9 1/2 is pitched at 20 degrees and I believe the 60 1/2 is pitched at 12 degrees, at 1 1/2 inches wide the 60 1/2 is 1/4 inch narrower than the 9 1/2.
These are good workers and either would be good for you to start with.
Mike

Joerg Bullmann
03-03-2011, 10:28 AM
Thanks a bunch, Michelle and Mike!

So it's the pitch of the cutter they differ in -- thanks a lot, that explains it. Also thanks for the supertool link.

I am wondering what would make more sense: spending more and getting something like a Veritas low angle block plane and start planing away or getting a Stanley/Record 060 1/2 and take tuning it up and adjusting it as a challenge and learn from my experience. Would it just be frustrating? Would I at all stand a chance of getting anywhere near the results of the Veritas? Would I as a beginner benefit from the Veritas' quality or would I just not notice it because I know so little about what I am doing anyway?

Cheers,
Joerg

phil harold
03-03-2011, 11:06 AM
Joerg,
I see you are from Germany, German steel is good maybe you can find some local used tools,
I love my 60.5 and if you can get one for a fair price, get it.
You as novice can notice the difference between planes, but you will notice more if it is sharpened and tuned vs not being sharp or adjusted

Jim Koepke
03-03-2011, 1:34 PM
Thanks a bunch, Michelle and Mike!

So it's the pitch of the cutter they differ in -- thanks a lot, that explains it. Also thanks for the supertool link.

I am wondering what would make more sense: spending more and getting something like a Veritas low angle block plane and start planing away or getting a Stanley/Record 060 1/2 and take tuning it up and adjusting it as a challenge and learn from my experience. Would it just be frustrating? Would I at all stand a chance of getting anywhere near the results of the Veritas? Would I as a beginner benefit from the Veritas' quality or would I just not notice it because I know so little about what I am doing anyway?

Cheers,
Joerg

Joerg,

Here is a post of mine on Low Angle block planes:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?123401-Fettle-to-the-Metal-With-LA-Blocks&p=1246005

Bob Smalser also posted some good information on block planes:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?60970-Block-Plane-Selection-and-Rehabilitation&highlight=chisel

There are also other good posts in the Neanderthal wisdom/FAQ thread near the top of the Neanderthal Haven conference.

On the question of buying a new Veritas or Lie-Nielsen block plane, you will not get a bad plane that will frustrate you trying to get it to work.

With older planes, there are plenty of dogs and many that are not quite dogs that will never work as well as one of the new planes.

For a long time I tried to buy a pre-1950s Stanley #60-1/2. They just kept getting bid higher than I wanted to pay. I finally gave up on that quest and bought a Lie-Nielsen #60-1/2. I still have two of the #60-1/2 planes that were used in my post that is linked above. Though both of those do very good work, they are not quite as good as the LN. They are set up to do different tasks. One has the blade back cambered for working small areas of panels. The other is used for rough work or thrown in the tool box when working out of the shop and the LN is used for finish work.

So in my opinion, at best, the old Stanley planes will only get close to one of the modern planes.

Where you would benefit by purchasing one of the better block planes is you will know how a properly tuned plane should work. Then when the opportunity arises for you to tune up an old hand plane, you will have something to compare your results.

I also have a pair of #65 series planes. They are both older Stanley models and work very well. They are a little wider. If you have larger hands these may be fine, but even with my pretty big hands the smaller planes nest better in my palm.

jtk

phil harold
03-03-2011, 8:31 PM
Joerg,

Here is a post of mine on Low Angle block planes:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...05#post1246005

jtk
link no workie

Joerg Bullmann
03-04-2011, 2:02 AM
Maybe this is it: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?123401-Fettle-to-the-Metal-With-LA-Blocks&p=1246005#post1246005

Cheers,
J.

Jim Koepke
03-04-2011, 2:11 AM
link no workie

OK, I have replaced both links and they seem to work as does the one Joerg posted.

jtk