PDA

View Full Version : Looking for ideas on what finish

Ian Jeffcock
03-03-2011, 3:57 AM
I have been turning these from green birch. The LOML does the light relief carving and artwork. These are done with water colour pencils. She prefers to use these rather than paints. They have been sprayed with artists fixative but have no other finish on them yet. I sprayed an earlier piece with poly but we did not like the look or feel. Has anyone had any experience or suggestions working with wood and watercolor. Thanks

John Keeton
03-03-2011, 6:18 AM
No experience working over water colors, but since you are using a light colored wood, a matte finish might be nice. There are UV resistant matte spray acrylic finishes available. I have used those and they buff to a very soft sheen with a nice feel to it. They will raise the grain just slightly, but it seems to buff off with tripoli.

Those are some absolutely beautifully painted/carved pieces, BTW!!! Very well done. The forms are somewhat different than those normally seen, but seem to work well for the purpose.

Donny Lawson
03-03-2011, 6:42 AM
Nice woodwork and artwork also.The one in the 3rd picture looks great to me. How tall is it? Tell your LOYL she is doing a great job.

Richard Coers
03-03-2011, 9:37 AM
Isn't fixative basically a flat lacquer? I imagine some are now acrylic, but all are just a thin finish. Pieces like these are more for just looing at, not using, so I vote for just a couple more coats of fixative. Beautiful work, love the koi.

Ron Stadler
03-03-2011, 11:38 AM
Sorry, can't give any advise on finish but I just wanted to say how beautiful the painting were on these- looks like you got a real keeper there. And I really like your second form on this one.

Ian Jeffcock
03-03-2011, 1:27 PM
Donny, the Koi piece is 9 x 7.5, the Lotus is 8 x 4.5 Thanks for the comments.

Nate Davey
03-03-2011, 6:00 PM
I believe David Ellsworth said on some pieces the only thing he used was fixative. Beautiful work by the two of you. A wonderful collaboration.

David E Keller
03-03-2011, 6:56 PM
Beautiful work! I'd probably stay with a spray finish as John suggested then a coat of renaissance wax. I hope to see more of this work from you two in the future.