PDA

View Full Version : Looking for good 2D drafting software

scott vroom
03-02-2011, 11:40 PM
Anyone know where I can find a good 2 dimensional drafting software without breaking the bank? I want to handoff to my worker the various elevation views of my cabinet designs, with dimensional measurements, construction details, etc......i.e., everything he needs to know to build the cabinet. I'm not interested (at this point) in 3D renderings, just traditional 2D drafting drawings to build to.

Autodesk sells a 2D product called "AutoCAD LT 2011" that looks to be best in breed for 2D, but at ~$1,000 it's pretty expensive (and apparently very difficult to learn). I'm willing to bite the bullet if $1,000 is what it takes to get a good product. Anyone have experience with a good quality 2D package?

I've looked at sketchup but it seems overkill for what I want. And, i couldn't find any information showing that it's good for 2D drafting.....maybe i overlooked it?

Richard Gonzalez
03-03-2011, 12:47 AM
I recently downloaded DraftSight (http://www.3ds.com/products/draftsight/free-cad-software/. It is free, available for Mac or PC, and reads/writes autocad compatible files. The price makes it worth checking out. The company that puts it out is the same one behind Catia and Solidworks which are very respected and powerful 3D packages.

I have not used it enough to form an opinion.

Richard

scott vroom
03-03-2011, 2:10 AM
Thanks Richard...I just downloaded it and will give it a try.

Dan Hintz
03-03-2011, 6:32 AM
Scott,

See my sig... DoubleCAD. It's a free AutoCAD LT competitor and quite the powerhouse.

Chuck Saunders
03-03-2011, 8:27 AM
I will put in my plug for CAD Standard (CADSTD.com). Free Standard edition upgrade to pro for $25. It is all I use now.

Jamie Buxton
03-03-2011, 10:13 AM
I use DeltaCad. It works quite well. Free trial. $40 or so to buy.

Marty Paulus
03-03-2011, 11:21 AM
Please help me understand your need for 2D software. I would think it would be quicker and easier to do manual drawings for what you are looking for.

3D software like Google Sketch Up can show straight elevation views and have dimensions as well. That is where the time savings come into play. You draw in 3D and then dimension in the elevation views. You can print from there. Free and easy to learn.

Paul Stoops
03-03-2011, 12:37 PM
I've used IMSI DesignCAD for years and use it to design all of my projects. Altho it has 3D capability, I only use the 2D mode. I noticed that some of the more recent versions can be purchased on Ebay for less than $20. Having learned orthographic projection drawing in college many years ago, I find the DesignCAD works well for me in making 3 view dimensioned drawings for my projects. I have also used it for home remodeling projects. I have also used pdf conversion software to share some of the drawings on the internet.

Paul Johnstone
03-03-2011, 1:55 PM
Sketchup is free. Alibre Design is only $99 (I use Alibre).

scott vroom
03-03-2011, 6:11 PM
Please help me understand your need for 2D software. I would think it would be quicker and easier to do manual drawings for what you are looking for.

3D software like Google Sketch Up can show straight elevation views and have dimensions as well. That is where the time savings come into play. You draw in 3D and then dimension in the elevation views. You can print from there. Free and easy to learn.

I'm a reasonably skilled draftsman and am capable of manually drafting plans, however I cannot erase and redraw manually as quickly as with a mouse on a screen. I'm constantly tweaking my designs and am looking for 2D s/w to increase my productivity.

From what I've seen and read Sketchup is not easy to learn. I'm looking for an easy, intuitive, and affordable 2D program for simple dimensional drawings.

David Wong
03-03-2011, 6:43 PM
On Mac OS X, I use HighDesign (http://www.ilexsoft.com/). I used it extensively when I was working with my architect on my house. It has a learning curve, but for simple 2D line drawings and measurements, it was great. I have not used it for cabinet design in woodworking yet. I would have to stop buying tools and actually build something for that.

Ernie Miller
03-03-2011, 11:18 PM
I use DeltaCad. It works quite well. Free trial. $40 or so to buy.

+1 on DeltaCad... works well and easy to learn. Actually, I use DeltaCad and SketchUP and wouldn't want to be without either one.

Marty Paulus
03-04-2011, 12:07 PM
I'm a reasonably skilled draftsman and am capable of manually drafting plans, however I cannot erase and redraw manually as quickly as with a mouse on a screen. I'm constantly tweaking my designs and am looking for 2D s/w to increase my productivity.

From what I've seen and read Sketchup is not easy to learn. I'm looking for an easy, intuitive, and affordable 2D program for simple dimensional drawings.

Maybe I am an exception but I think Sketch up is very easy to learn. I have been trained in some very high end CAD software that took weeks of formal training. This software only took a couple of hours with some online content. The use is very intuitive in my book. More so then the stuff I have at work. I am not sure you will find any CAD software that doesn't require some time learning it. What do you have to lose by trying Sketch up and trying some online training?

Mike Barney Sr
03-04-2011, 12:20 PM
CadStd! I got the free version, loved it, upgraded to Pro, and it only costs $41 total. I start all my WW projects with it. Check it out at cnet downloads or got to: http://www.cadstd.com/

Matthew Dunne
03-04-2011, 1:12 PM
Maybe I am an exception but I think Sketch up is very easy to learn.

Same here.

In fact, I've never used a drafting program before, and after a few hours of playing around, doing a few free tutorials, etc, I find Sketchup incredibly useful.

Steven DeMars
03-04-2011, 2:30 PM
DOUBLECAD - It's FREE . . .

Perfect clone of AutoCAD LT . . .

Paul Murphy
03-04-2011, 6:01 PM
I use AutoSketch, a 2D home version of AutoCad for <$100. It was reviewed along with others in FWW #172. I bought AutoSketch before reading reviews rating other programs as easier to learn, but now that I am used to it I am very happy to have it. I like having it on my laptop, as I can work on projects wherever I am, and am not sharing my ideas with Google(SketchUp).

Pick one of the <$100 programs that is well reviewed, get to know it, and I think you will be happy. Like I mentioned, I really find mine very useful.

here is another recent review:
http://americanwoodworker.com/blogs/tools/archive/2008/09/04/CAD-for-Woodworkers.aspx

Steve Griffin
03-07-2011, 12:23 PM
Hi Scott,
I have been using Macdraft for my business for 4 years and love it.

Let me put it this way--I tried a trial of Turbo LT and it took me all evening to draw a line, and then I couldn't figure out how to scale and dimension it. While in my first two hours with Macdraft I drew a cabinet to scale and dimensioned it. The main difference between the two was how easy it was to find answers to my beginner questions.

Having said that, I'm seriously looking at Sketch UP pro ($500), which supports 2D far better than the free version. Since I have to draw top, side and front views anyway, I'm intrigued by the idea of drawing in 3D for customers, and then pushing a few buttons and getting 2D's for shop drawings.

It's certainly worth investigating many options. Let us know what you end up going with.

-Steve

bob hertle
03-07-2011, 5:42 PM
Progecad 2009 is free for personal use, and is an autocad lt clone. If you have autocad experience, you can jump right in. After using autocad for the last 20 years or so, the hardest part of using progecad was configuring my menus like I'm used to with acad. I've not tried doublecad xt but I've downloaded it and will probably try it in the near future. Problem is, doublecad is a bit more resource hungry, and I'm using it on an old laptop. Still using autocad on my desktop. All files have so far been perfectly compatible. My 2 cents!

Bob