PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening Forrest or other High End Blades

Malcolm Wheeler
03-02-2011, 11:03 PM
Forrest recommends that all blades get shipped back to them for sharpening, but do you folks really do that?

Darren Brown
03-02-2011, 11:10 PM
Malcom,

I've had my WWII sharpened by Forrest two or three times. I don't have a local sharpening service I can trust. The turnaround was quick (about a week or so) and the blade always comes back so sharp that it's hard to handle without cutting yourself. I guess you don't "have to" have Forrest sharpen your blade, but you won't be disappointed if you do.

Best,

Darren

Doug Colombo
03-02-2011, 11:17 PM
I also have only sent mine back to Forrest - turn around was the same as Darren's experience and when returned the blade cuts just like when it was new. I can't believe that anyone could do a better job then they do.

Matt Day
03-02-2011, 11:26 PM
How much does Forrest charge for sharpening?

Kent A Bathurst
03-03-2011, 6:43 AM
Forrest recommends that all blades get shipped back to them for sharpening, but do you folks really do that?

Darn right I do. All 6 + dado set.

Kent A Bathurst
03-03-2011, 6:43 AM
How much does Forrest charge for sharpening?

Sharpening $$ spelled out on their website. Depends on # teeth.

Rod Sheridan
03-03-2011, 8:09 AM
I use a local sharpening service, they can do anything Forrest can do, if not more.

In the interest of full disclosure, I live in the largest city in Canada, and FS Tools have their manufacturing plant just up the road from me. It simply doesn't get any better than that...Rod.

Montgomery Scott
03-03-2011, 9:37 AM
My local place http://www.eastsidesaw.com/sharpening.html has CNC grinding and can grind to the same specs as the manufacturer. I can also go to them and have custom BS blades made there as well.

Bruce Wrenn
03-03-2011, 9:57 PM
I send most of my blades to Dynamic Saw in Buffalo NY. I sent one of my Forrest back to Forrest, but it no longer needs sharpening. When they stay in the box, they don't get dull. Remember that Forrrest is a sharpening company, who also make saw blades. Where do you think the profit is? It isn't from the sale of blades. That's a once and done deal.

Jim O'Dell
03-03-2011, 10:16 PM
I've only sharpened one blade so far, a Systimatic 60 tooth TC laminate/plastics blade. I used: http://www.cookssharpening.com/id10.html to try since they will sharpen one blade for free for a new customer and even pay for return postage to get you to try them. They did a great job!! I don't think the blade was that sharp when I purchased it new. I will be happy to use them again in the future. Jim.

roman fedyk
03-04-2011, 7:14 PM
How much does Cooks charge? I could not find any pricing info online.

Jim O'Dell
03-04-2011, 8:03 PM
I don't remember for sure, but I think I remember seeing it was in line with the others. I just wanted to try with one blade on their free deal to see if they did a decent job. If nothing else, email them and ask for their rates. Jim.

Matt Winterowd
03-04-2011, 8:09 PM
They did a great job!! I don't think the blade was that sharp when I purchased it new. I will be happy to use them again in the future. Jim.

That's exactly how I felt about my WW2 that I sent back to Forrest. I was happy to have a very sharp blade, but a little ambivalent that it hadn't cut that well brand new. Oh well...

I think I will take my sharpening job to Eastside Saw. They are a great shop, and all else being equal, I'd rather not mail my blades around the country periodically.

Leigh Betsch
03-04-2011, 9:47 PM
I need to ship no matter who I use so I send back to Forrest or Laguna. Forrest called when they had a question about my dovetail blade. No problems at all with them, quick and reliable.

Tom Welch
03-04-2011, 10:25 PM
I just received my 10" WW2 back from Forrest for sharpening. It only cost me $29 (freight back included). Slices hard mapel like butter. Turn around time about a week and a half.

Dan Friedrichs
03-04-2011, 10:55 PM
I send most of my blades to Dynamic Saw in Buffalo NY.

I sent a WW2 to Dynamic Saw, and just got it back today. I'm not dissatisfied enough to complain, but I won't ever be sending another blade to them. The blade came back with scratches all over it (like, really deep scratches in random patterns on both sides). They engraved my name and some numbers onto the blade, which I guess isn't a big deal, but I'd prefer they not have done that. It was really dirty, like they hadn't even bothered to wipe it off with a rag before shipping it. And they used the same box I shipped the blade to them in to ship it back to me. They charged $13 to ship it back to me, which is more than it cost me to ship the blade to them, and I'm sure it didn't actually cost them $13 to ship a couple pounds via UPS. There are a few teeth that appear to have been poorly sharpened, and the blade, overall, isn't really sharp (machining marks can be seen on the faces of the teeth)

Bruce, you are, as far as I can tell, the only person on SMC that recommends this sharpening service, and you've put in a plug for them over 30 times. It's one thing to be satisfied with a service, but you're starting to sound like a shill...

fRED mCnEILL
03-04-2011, 11:56 PM
On my first Forrest blade I sent it back to Forrest for sharpening. However,I live in Canada so it was a pain in the neck as well as more costly due to shipping. So I asked Lee Valley, who sell Forrest blades, who they recommend and the said European Saw Sharpening near Vancouver. I now take all 3 blades there and the blades do come back shaper than new. And it costs less and there is no shipping charge(as I can drive there) A win-win-win situation for me.

Larry Edgerton
03-05-2011, 8:30 AM
Forrest does a great job at sharpening. I don't have a local option. I had a 14" FS tool ruined by the local guy so always ship. Actually for about the last ten years I have just been buying new. I have a stack of great blades that need sharpening, if I ever get to it I'll be set for life.

Brett Elliott
03-05-2011, 12:34 PM
Bruce, you are, as far as I can tell, the only person on SMC that recommends this sharpening service, and you've put in a plug for them over 30 times. It's one thing to be satisfied with a service, but you're starting to sound like a shill...

I've send stuff to them and been happy. The fellow I talked to on the phone was helpful, and made sure all of my questions were answered. If I were you I'd call. If nothing else, I'd want some of my money back.

Brett

Dan Friedrichs
03-05-2011, 1:11 PM
It was only $20, total, so I'm not going to bother. The job they did was "OK", but not the quality that I was expecting...

John M Wilson
03-05-2011, 2:26 PM
I have also used Dynamic Saw for sharpening, and I was pleased with the service and quick turn around.

Now, I do not have the years of experience that most on this forum have, but I believe my blades cut as good as new after they sharpened them, and that is what I was seeking. They were far cheaper than the local sharpening service that my local Woodcraft store recommended, even with shipping to & from figured in.

I am not affiliated with their company in any way, just a satisfied customer.

Dan Friedrichs
03-05-2011, 3:00 PM
Well, I haven't had enough blades sharpened to know what to expect, but take a look at the attached picture - do you think that's acceptable? The tooth has a corner "rounded over" where they didn't take enough material off the face when sharpening. I specifically asked them to re-tooth, as necessary.

(sorry for the poor quality picture - the "darker" region on that tooth is rough and unsharpened)

Michael Roberts
03-06-2011, 9:43 AM
I've used Cook's in New Braunfels, TX for years. They managed to improve the cut of a Forrest WWII that went back to the factory twice. I have used them for all manner of tablesaw and chopsaw blades and been very satisfied with the results.

Harvey Pascoe
03-06-2011, 10:38 AM
Forrest is not God. Last time I sent them my blades one came back with a full 1/8" of teeth ground away for no reason. Most likely they chipped a tooth and decided to take it down rather than replace it. I raised hell, to no avail. If I had a good local shop, I'd use them.

David Helm
03-06-2011, 2:09 PM
I've been using the same local shop for nearly 40 years. They are now in the third generation of family operating the shop. They do a great job with only several days turnaround. If I'm in a bigger hurry they are easy to deal with. Never, ever had a problem with their sharpening. Don't own any Forrest blades and likely never will. I'm very happy with all my Systematic blades.

Bruce Wrenn
03-06-2011, 10:09 PM
Bruce, you are, as far as I can tell, the only person on SMC that recommends this sharpening service, and you've put in a plug for them over 30 times. It's one thing to be satisfied with a service, but you're starting to sound like a shill...After seeing other posters, care to retract your statement? The original poster asked for opinions, and I stated mine. I didn't realize I wasn't allowed to do so. As for the number/ name engraved into your blade, this makes sure that you get back YOUR blades. This is standard practice on four of the five sharpeners I have used in the last forty years. Does the engraving affect the cuts your blade gives, or is it a vanity issue. My tools were made to earn a living, not to be worshiped. If you haven't contacted Dynamic, then you are the problem. You can't expect them to call and check and see if you are satisfied, now can you? As for using the original shipping box, yeah! Why throw away a perfectly good box, and then have to increase your prices to cover costs? When I ship twelve inch blades in a USPS flat rate box, I use a piece of plastic tubing which is split along it's length to keep teeth from going through box. Dynamic coats teeth, so it isn't needed for return shipping, but they send it back to me for use next time. Shipping costs include more than the actual UPS charges. They do have to pay their employees for the time it takes to package and label your package. Ship more than one blade and the cost per blade (both ways) comes down to a couple bucks each. I had a very bad experience with Forrest, and they basically blew my complaint off. Of course I realize that you probably ship out a lot more blades than my shop does. I happen to earn a large portion of my income in my shop.

robert raess
03-08-2011, 4:12 PM
I have the WW11..and just had it sharpened locally, and am happy with it.I don't know why this blade would be any diff. from the other weird sizes and shapes that I hand over to my local sharpener.However I have a ques. re. burning marks.This blade is very sharp, and keeps up well with my feed rate,however, everyplace I stop to re-position my hands it leaves burn marks. There is no pitch build up at all, and my other blades do not do this at all when sharp.I was told by Forrest, that does occur and the best way to lessen it is by raising the blade above the material[solid wood] so the gullets are above the surface.. it does help..I don't like it from a safety standpoint.Anyone with similar experience? thanks rob

Maik Tobin
03-08-2011, 4:24 PM
I send most of my blades to Dynamic Saw in Buffalo NY. I sent one of my Forrest back to Forrest, but it no longer needs sharpening. When they stay in the box, they don't get dull. Remember that Forrrest is a sharpening company, who also make saw blades. Where do you think the profit is? It isn't from the sale of blades. That's a once and done deal.

Me too. I have been very happy with Dynamic and they are far less expensive than Forrest.