PDA

View Full Version : Pepper Mill - Basic Tools Required?

Garrett Ellis
03-02-2011, 11:01 PM
I'm signed up for a WoodCraft peppermill turning class and we are supposed to bring our own tools.

I know this will vary person to person - but what are the basic tools needed? I am thinking a roughing gouge and maybe a parting tool? And then a skew or something for detail?

I'm hoping to keep this to 2 or 3 tools... I've got some time to browse the used market, I just need to know what to look for!

Any suggestions?

Dan Forman
03-03-2011, 3:14 AM
Might be best to ask Woodcraft, see what the instructor will be using.

Dan

philip labre
03-03-2011, 8:23 AM
You need exactly what you stated. A roughing gouge, parting tool, skew, and a smaller gouge depending on the detail you want. The smaller gouge can be eliminated depending on style and proficiency with a skew. I've redesigned a number of them because of my skew skills.

Tim Rinehart
03-03-2011, 8:28 AM
If you don't have any of these, you may want to ask the store what they have available for you to use. Though they may post about bringing tools, I know that our local Woodcraft store had a variety of tools available for students to use.
Have fun!! Peppermills seem like good fun...I've only made one, but have plans for more.
Don't forget pics when you get it done too!!

Bernie Weishapl
03-03-2011, 9:28 AM
I thing the tools you mentioned are fine. I might add a small detail spindle gouge.