PDA

View Full Version : Three very different boxes

Bret Duffin
03-02-2011, 11:00 PM
Hi all,

Sometimes it's fun to build something that can be completed quickly. That's what I like about building little boxes. I give them away as gifts and the recipients are usually thilled.

I built these three boxes recently using very different techniques on each one. The fist is very simple. I wanted to try out the new gizmo I made for the table saw to cut dovetailed splines on mitered corners. The maple and walnut contrast and set off the splines. I cut a top from some walnut and had fun devising a "secret" method for Opening the box. You have to lift, slide and lift. Most people figure it out in a few seconds but it's still fun.

The second one is actually and urn. I had one little piece of "yellow wood" from which I cut 16 staves to make a coopered tube about 6" diameter and 9" long and then turned it on the lathe. It doesn't show clearly in the photo, but this wood is very yellow, pretty.

The third is an eight sided box. It's also made from a coopered tube which I turned round on the lathe but then I ripped it in half to make the half round sides. I added a curly maple base and a walnut burl top and carved handle.

Enjoy, Bret

Mike Null
03-03-2011, 5:31 AM
Great looking boxes. Boxes are the thing that keeps me in woodworking. They are just neat--and useful. As you say, everybody appreciates them.

Let us in on your spline secret.

Michelle Rich
03-03-2011, 7:26 AM
great variety..3 totally different methods..nice threesome

Dan Hintz
03-03-2011, 7:48 AM
I clicked on this post thinking "What's so special about 3 boxes... but there are no new posts since my last check-in, so what the hay, I'll bite..."

Wow, very cool! Worth the click :)

Dave MacArthur
03-03-2011, 10:24 PM
Yep, those are nice boxes. I've noticed a trend, and I have to say you're pretty clever with that coopering and turning trick! I've seen I think three neat things from you now using that in some aspect, and for sure I'd never have thought of that--I really learned a good idea from you on that. Good work on those boxes, neat to see three methods at once too. I thought one would be a bandsaw box, now you'll have to post a "Four Boxes" thread!

Don Nicholas
03-06-2011, 11:14 AM
Very good looking designs, very well gone. Thanks for sharing

Von Bickley
03-06-2011, 11:59 AM
Brett,
Nice looking boxes...... How about some more info and pictures of the gizmo for cutting the dovetail splines.....

Ken Fitzgerald
03-06-2011, 12:28 PM
Bret......Gorgeous boxes all!....the dovetail splines.........sliding jig on a router table?

Bret Duffin
03-06-2011, 8:52 PM
Von, Ken,

If I'd known I was going to have to go public with my spline jig I'd have made it prettier. Here it is, warts and all.

I made this gizmo to slide over and along my table saw fence. I have a router mounted under the right extension wing of my TS so I am able to use it with router bits or slide it over and use the saw blade or dado on the saw arbor. I should mention that I don't cut the splines in until after I glue all the corners together.

It's screwed together so as to make replacement of the 90* angled trough easy once it gets too cut up.

These dovetail splines can be cut by hand without to much difficulty especially if your are already competent at cutting hand dovetails on your drawers. I included a photo of such on a cabinet base molding.

1. After you have glued up your corner to be splined, just set in in the 90* angled tray

2. Bottom view

3. The jig stay with the fence which makes your lateral adjustment a snap.

4. Hand cut splines using a dovetails saw and chisels.

Bret

Peter Harbin
03-06-2011, 9:10 PM
Wow! Outstanding Bret! I just made a simple little straight slot corner jig this last week for some small boxes. Your Dovetail Key results are just beautiful. There may be some thieving of this jig! :)

Bobby O'Neal
03-06-2011, 10:03 PM
Wow. No wonder people are thrilled to get these boxes.