PDA

View Full Version : Good place to buy screws?

Nick Sorenson
03-02-2011, 10:49 PM
I run a small manufacturing shop and I'm always buying screws for various things. I use smallparts at times for certain types of machine screws. The price isn't bad but they don't have much on wood screws.

Any good sources for screws?

Also, I like drywall screws for assembling things. Is there something better or cheaper than what lowes has? I used their Grip Tite screws in the 25 lb tub for a few years now. Seems like the self tappers are even better. But lowes doesn't get that fancy;)

Dave Zellers
03-02-2011, 10:54 PM
http://www.mcfeelys.com/screws is good but for cabinet assembly (that doesn't show) you will never do better than deep thread drywall screws.

John Lifer
03-02-2011, 11:20 PM
Woodworking mag in '08 had test of drywall vs big box ws vs Mcfeelys and Mcfeelys was only screw that didn't break single screw in test. Drywall was worst.
Into hardwood, not predrilled. I've never purchased any of their screws, but I have had issues with drywall, shallow and deep thread breaking. FWIW.

Dave Zellers
03-03-2011, 12:33 AM
...but I have had issues with drywall, shallow and deep thread breaking. FWIW.

Yes, that's a good point. I've snapped more than a few heads off myself over the years.

I guess I've just learned how to deal with that by pre-drilling properly and not over torquing. I just love how those deep threads grab tho and the big bugle head really holds tight.

Ted Baca
03-03-2011, 12:49 AM
I would try a wholesale company. Since you run a business, you may be able to set up an account with someone like, Hillman, Mutual Screw etc.

Tim Johnson
03-03-2011, 11:29 AM
I sold all my BORG screws a few years ago at the garage sale to get them out of my shop. I really like McFeeley's screws. I have no issues with broken screws. While I still pre-drill, I do not have to worry about some cheap screw breaking off while in the final assembly of a piece of furniture. I even use the brass plated steel screws to replace the screws that come with hinges and other hardware. McFeeley's has $1 shipping, quick service, and shipping choices depending on your needs.

Julian Tracy
03-03-2011, 1:06 PM
Can't go wrong with the Spax screws at HD or Lowes (I know for sure HD carries them..). Unlike Mcfeely's screws, the Spax line is made in the USA and/or Germany and I've found them to have a very aggressive self-drilling tip.

JT

Stew Hagerty
03-03-2011, 1:07 PM
I too have gotten some from McFeelys, however, I have found what I think is a much better place: The Bolt Depot. http://www.boltdepot.com/Default.aspx They have nearly any fastener that you could think of. You can buy items individually, small boxes, or larger "bulk" quantities. They also have something that I took advantage of, which are assortments. They have a wide variety of assortments in either smaller plastic cases or larger metal cases. You can also buy the cases themselves (they are very nice) and make your own sets. I bought sets of flat head wood screws, carriage bolts, hex bolts, flat head brass screws, machine scress, and a nut/washer assortment. The service is excellent and prices are pretty good too.

Robert Rolfe
03-03-2011, 1:36 PM
If you want some REAL good drywall type screws but better, Walmart has these tubs of 450 gold looking screws for less than 10bucks, comes with a double sided Phillips bit but throw that away! It will shatter on first use, the screws however rock! Three tubs used now and no snap offs. 4 sizes in compartments from 1 inch up.

John Nesmith
03-03-2011, 1:58 PM
I too have gotten some from McFeelys, however, I have found what I think is a much better place: The Bolt Depot. http://www.boltdepot.com/Default.aspx They have nearly any fastener that you could think of.

Thanks for the heads up on boltdepot.com. I was not familiar with them. Nice assortment, but it does not appear they carry square drive screws, which is what I primarily use.

Peter Quinn
03-03-2011, 8:23 PM
you could set up an account with Haffel and buy their assembly screws in bulk. Good prices, great screws. I've been buying the Deerfield ultimates from wood workers hardware and I like those pretty well. You can buy bulk or get smaller quantities too.

http://wwhardware.com/catalog.cfm?GroupID=Fasteners%20%26%20Screws&CatID=Ultimate%20Screws&SubCatID=Screws%2C%20Deep%20Thread%2C%20Square

The local HD now carries SPAX screws, which aren't cheap and don't have the auger point tips for easy starting, but are some of the toughest screws I have ever used, hold extremely well, and can be used in a variety of materials from plywood to concrete! I have tried to break these by driving the same screw in and out of hard maple repeatedly, they just keep going. Very tough screws if you need that.

Jack Lemley
03-03-2011, 8:34 PM
I run a small manufacturing shop and I'm always buying screws for various things. I use smallparts at times for certain types of machine screws. The price isn't bad but they don't have much on wood screws.

Any good sources for screws?

Also, I like drywall screws for assembling things. Is there something better or cheaper than what lowes has? I used their Grip Tite screws in the 25 lb tub for a few years now. Seems like the self tappers are even better. But lowes doesn't get that fancy;)

+1 for McFeeley's. I have used their screws for 20+ years and don't recall every snapping one off. Lot of hard wood fastening, sometimes without pilot hole.

Jack

Ernest Martin
03-03-2011, 9:16 PM
I see you've gotten several suggestions just thought I would add mine. We get ours from Apple Fasteners http://www.applefasteners.com/

Dave Lehnert
03-03-2011, 11:05 PM
I have used Rockler screws now for some time with great success. I like the "Square X " Can use my square drivers in the shop put have the option of a Philips drive if not in my shop.

Lee Schierer
03-04-2011, 12:21 PM
I know lots of folks use dry wall screws becasue they are cheaper than wood screws, but there are reasons why they aren't good for quality wood projects. Reasons not to use drywall screws:

1. Most are brittle and will break going in or coming out. It is rare that anyone removes dry wall by taking the screws out so breaking heads isn't a problem at least not for the original installer. Breaking heads isn't usually a problem with screws going into framing lumber and even if a head breaks the mud will cover it.

2. The bugle shaped head digs into the wood too much and can easly cause a crack or it will bury the head and make it difficult to remove the screw.

3. The threads on drywall screws go all the way up to the head. The reason threads don't do this on wood screws is that you want to pull one piece against the other for a tight joint. You can't do this if the threads are gripping the piece under the head. Drywall doesn't provide enough grip on the threads to prevent the pull in effect wood does.

Jim Becker
03-06-2011, 2:38 PM
What Lee said...almost everyone starts out using drywall screws because they are inexpensive and readily available, but they are not designed for woodworking. I personally use square recess/Robertson screws from McFeely's and and find them to meet and exceed my needs in every way.

Chris Friesen
03-07-2011, 2:54 PM
The Robertson brand screws from Lee Valley are also good and they were cheaper than the ones from the borg.

To correct the earlier post, in the Woodworking article both the McFeeleys and Spax screws came through without breaking any. And as I recall both were cheaper than the ones from the borg.

steven c newman
03-07-2011, 3:45 PM
One other source around my area; Fastenal. They will even have those self-tapping/self-drilling screws. They even have those that will drill there own hole through wood, and then drill through metal. I've used those for attaching treated wood sills to metal framed window openings. The metal was the kind called "red-iron", although it was the gray kind on that job. Window installer wanted the metal "firred out" so he could install his second story office windows. They have a #3 phillips head, with a bugle head. There are a couple of "ears" that drill through the wood, and then break off when you hit metal. The tip will then drill through the metal, and the threaded part will self tap.

John P. Smith
03-07-2011, 11:40 PM
I too have gotten some from McFeelys, however, I have found what I think is a much better place: The Bolt Depot. http://www.boltdepot.com/Default.aspx They have nearly any fastener that you could think of. You can buy items individually, small boxes, or larger "bulk" quantities. They also have something that I took advantage of, which are assortments. They have a wide variety of assortments in either smaller plastic cases or larger metal cases. You can also buy the cases themselves (they are very nice) and make your own sets. I bought sets of flat head wood screws, carriage bolts, hex bolts, flat head brass screws, machine scress, and a nut/washer assortment. The service is excellent and prices are pretty good too.

+1 on Bolt Depot's service and ability to buy small quantities. The - is no sq. or torx drive in wood screws.