PDA

View Full Version : Stanley #78 as a shoulder plane.

keith micinski
03-02-2011, 10:34 PM
There is a cheap Stanley #78 plane in the classifieds and I was wondering what you guys thought about this as a cheap shoulder plane. I don't know that I would use one much but it looks like to clean up the odd tenon or two this would get the job done.

Jim Koepke
03-02-2011, 10:37 PM
The shoulder plane has a lower blade angle. It is also easier to handle on the shoulders of tenons.

In my experience it is also easier to get a shoulder plane to take a very thin shaving. I have not yet had this ability with my Record #78 equivalent.

The #78 is a good tool to have in the shop for certain jobs, but it is not really well suited for trimming shoulders.

jtk

Andrew Gibson
03-02-2011, 10:42 PM
I use my 78 more then I thought I would when I bought it. I use it mostly for fine tunning groves for fitting drawer bottoms and the like.
I really don't think it would work well for adjusting tenon cheeks or other end grain type work where you would use a shoulder plane.

Edit... oops I was thinking 79. I have used my 78 to make cross grain rabbets, however you do have to make sure you score the work and take light cuts, even still you may get tearout.

keith micinski
03-02-2011, 11:13 PM
OK thanks, it still seems like I might have a use for it so I might have to keep an eye on it.

Dan Andrews
03-03-2011, 3:33 PM
I got a #78 thrown in with a #7 I was buying at a rummage sale. The front overhanging part of the frame was broken off and the fence was missing. I figured it would be good for a spare iron or other parts for my good 78. I don't have a shoulder plane but needed one so I gave the broken 78 a try. It was OK for light cuts on the cheeks and usable for the end grain of the shoulder by taking very light cuts. Overall it was usable until I get a shoulder plane, but certainly not a great substitute for one.

Frank Drew
03-03-2011, 5:14 PM
I really like my Redcord 778 and if the iron is really keen it will trim a shoulder nicely, almost as well as a true shoulder plane. Of course, it works best as a rabbet plane and I prefer it to the Stanley 78 (two fence rods on the Record is reason enough.)

Frank Drew
03-05-2011, 10:01 AM
Unable to correct my typo above -- that should read Record 778.