PDA

View Full Version : Password Manager Software?

George Skinner
03-02-2011, 9:25 PM
Looking for a password management program. Anyone using a program you would recommend? I would prefer open source but am open to other options.

Thanks

Myk Rian
03-02-2011, 9:35 PM
I keep a text file with website, user name, and PW for the sites I visit.
Easy to print and take on the road, or copy to a flash drive.

Larry Browning
03-02-2011, 9:43 PM
LastPass. It's not open source, but it's free, and it works great. It is a browser plug in, very easy to understand and use. I think the form filler is my favorite feature. It will save you a ton of time when filling our registration forms and the like.

Bill Huber
03-02-2011, 10:31 PM
I use a little program call Password Safe, it's $5 and well worth it.

http://www.password-safe.net/

John Meyer
03-03-2011, 10:40 AM
I use Keepass. It is free and has been great for me.
John

Doug Wolf
03-03-2011, 10:46 AM
I use the Login Manager that comes built into Norton Internet Security for logging into internet sites. I use "Passbook" by primasoft for all password and related info. Passbook can be saved to a jump drive and shared wih our computers.

Bob Rossi
03-03-2011, 11:53 AM
+1 KeePass
http://keepass.info/
They also have a portable version for Portable Apps

George Skinner
03-03-2011, 7:18 PM
Thanks everyone. I came across Keepass while searching and it looked like it might be the one to try. Now that I have a couple of recommendations from a forum of people I trust I will give it a try.

Thanks Again

Tony Joyce
03-03-2011, 8:12 PM
+1 KeePass
http://keepass.info/
They also have a portable version for Portable Apps

I have the android version, it works well.

Larry Browning
03-03-2011, 9:04 PM
I can't believe that no one has even commented on LastPass. This is truly one really GREAT application. I tried to use KeePass a couple years ago and found it to be rather amateurish compared to LastPass. It is really a browser plugin and works seamlessly with your browser. It has lots of really cool features, and it is really easy to setup. Here is a link (http://lastpass.com/). You really should check it out before deciding to use something else.
I have no affiliation with them, I just like the program.

Bill Cunningham
03-03-2011, 9:29 PM
Firefox 4 (beta) remembers all your passwords like always, but this version allows you to sinc everything up with other smart phones, laptops etc..

George Skinner
03-03-2011, 9:46 PM
My concern with LastPass is passwords are also stored on their servers. May not be a security problem but is something I know nothing about.

Ed Hazel
03-04-2011, 6:56 AM
I use RoboForm2Go it is on a thumb drive so I can take it to any computer it fills and submits the passwords.

Bryan Morgan
03-04-2011, 1:34 PM
We also use KeePass at work. You can combine it with a trucrypt volume and even create yourself some fake deniabilty password vaults.

Lee Schierer
03-04-2011, 2:29 PM
I simply use a spreadsheet in Open Office to track all passwords, key questions etc.

Devon Shannon
03-05-2011, 1:33 AM
+1 last pass

daniel lane
03-05-2011, 1:54 AM
We also use KeePass at work. You can combine it with a trucrypt volume and even create yourself some fake deniabilty password vaults.

I use TrueCrypt and am both pleased with the referral to KeePass (thanks) and amused at the deniability concept. I love the TrueCrypt documentation; the likelihood that I would need to have plausible deniability is near zero but I feel important when peppered with the term "adversary". Double-oh-null to the rescue! :D

daniel

Eric Franklin
03-05-2011, 4:08 PM
I use 1Password which I sync between multiple computers and iPhones using DropBox.

Chuck Wintle
03-05-2011, 5:24 PM
LastPass. It's not open source, but it's free, and it works great. It is a browser plug in, very easy to understand and use. I think the form filler is my favorite feature. It will save you a ton of time when filling our registration forms and the like.

Larry,
do you know if th epasswords are held locally on the computer or on a server somewhere?

Larry Browning
03-05-2011, 11:01 PM
They are held on a server somewhere. I really don't have a problem with that. Quite the opposite, I like it. I think the chances of having my computer stolen and someone getting my passwords off my hard drive are more likely than someone stealing them from lastpass. I believe that the only 100% secure password is to not have one at all. In other words, don't even access the internet at all. That won't happen, so there is a risk no matter what I do. I don't lose sleep over it though.
Plus it is quite convenient to be able to have all my latest passwords available on every computer I use.

Steve knight
03-06-2011, 12:43 AM
I use 1Password which I sync between multiple computers and iPhones using DropBox.
Me too since it works with a mac and a pc.

Larry Browning
03-07-2011, 1:41 PM
What is the advantage 1password has over LastPass? LastPass works with just about any browser. So it would work with mac, pc, linux, iphone, Android, etc..... Plus, it's free! Looks like 1password can only fill forms using google chrome browser. Syncing is not necessary, since you data is stored in one place only and accessed from many devices, rather than many places, once for each device you have. Just not sure why it is better. What am I missing?

Derek Gilmer
03-07-2011, 1:52 PM
I use keepass + drop box to sync the password file. That way it is always accessible via a browser at dropbox's website and I can store the many server and db passwords I have to keep up with and change on a monthly basis.

Eric Franklin
03-08-2011, 6:07 AM
What is the advantage 1password has over LastPass? LastPass works with just about any browser. So it would work with mac, pc, linux, iphone, Android, etc..... Plus, it's free! Looks like 1password can only fill forms using google chrome browser. Syncing is not necessary, since you data is stored in one place only and accessed from many devices, rather than many places, once for each device you have. Just not sure why it is better. What am I missing?

1Password can fill forms on Chrome, Safari, Firefox and IE. LastPass is not free for mobile devices and you have ads if you don't pay there monthly fee which is $1 a month. I have never used LastPass so I can say why it's better. It's just a competing product that I have used for years.

Larry Browning
03-09-2011, 2:10 PM
1Password can fill forms on Chrome, Safari, Firefox and IE. LastPass is not free for mobile devices and you have ads if you don't pay there monthly fee which is $1 a month. I have never used LastPass so I can say why it's better. It's just a competing product that I have used for years.
I have never used 1Password, just going by what their website said. It's interesting that their website specifically says that it only fill forms from Chrome, but apparently that is not true. Also, I have never seen a single ad using Lastpass. go figure.