PDA

View Full Version : Nail into my TS top.....almost

JohnT Fitzgerald
03-02-2011, 8:46 PM
So I had my son's Cub scout Den over tonight for a 'Tools and build-it' activity. We spent quite a bit of time on shop safety, tool safety, proper use of tools (hammer, pliers, etc), practiced nailing and screwing into some boards I had set up, and then we had the real project - a small birdhouse. I cut and predilled all the pieces last night, so really it was just nailing and assembly.

I was using my TS as a 'bench', with a long sheet of MDF on it. I had done this successfully with my sons (by themselves) last week, so I figured it would work well. Still - I kept a close eye on all the other boys...

....until I noticed *my* son - who had been taught last week NOT to do this - had driven a nail right into the MDF on top of my TS table . :eek: if it was the extension table I wouldn't have cared as much. It was all I could do NOT to flip out....I pulled the nail out, finished the project, and after all the boys were gone I removed the MDF to find ... nothing. Not a mark. He had driven the nail through and into the miter slot opening, so it ended up touching nothing.

*PHEW!!!*

Jim Rimmer
03-02-2011, 9:46 PM
Close all. :eek: Never underestimate what a kid (anybody's kid) might do.

Larry Edgerton
03-03-2011, 8:31 AM
A couple of years ago I was contracted to finish a log home. As I was working I noticed this handyman that was working next door talking to the homeowner and pointing at this and that. Well, he apparently talked her into letting him do the flooring, something that was in my contract, but seperated, for less money than me.

So, he came in and went to work. This house had log floor joist with 1 1/2"deckfinished on the bottom side. Flooring was 3/4" Jatoba nailed straight down with cut nails. The nails she picked up were 2 1/2" long. I didn't say a word....... He did the whole upstairs before she noticed that the downstairs ceiling was ruined.

On the table thing I had just bought a new planer. I sent a employee back to the shop to run off a couple more tapered pieces, the jig was already made. I told him to use 1 1/4" screws to hold the piece to the jig. I made him repeat it. Guess what, he used 1 5/8" screws and drug them across the table of my new SCMI, not once, but several times! I did not fire him. Then he built a scaffold that broke on me and fractured my stirnum and four ribs. I did not fire him. But when work slowed down, guess who got laid off first?

glenn bradley
03-03-2011, 9:09 AM
/glad that wasn't worse. Here's where it all went wrong: "I was using my TS as a 'bench'."

Larry Edgerton
03-03-2011, 9:14 AM
/glad that wasn't worse. Here's where it all went wrong: "I was using my TS as a 'bench'."

Agreed. Especially when hammering is involved. Adjustments suffer.

JohnT Fitzgerald
03-03-2011, 10:27 AM

I know. I'm a little "space challenged" though, and I had too many people for my small bench. I'm in the process of reorganizing and hopefully will get a better dedicated bench.

never though about the adjustment part - hmmm, I think I'll do another once-over on me TS setup. It's been a while anyways.....

Gary Redden
03-03-2011, 2:12 PM
I understand not using the top of the TS as a bench but that was he going to hurt on the top with a nail? I have never seen anyone that was able to drive nails in cast iron. I guess I just am not catching what all the excitement is about.

Gary

JohnT Fitzgerald
03-03-2011, 8:58 PM
I understand not using the top of the TS as a bench but that was he going to hurt on the top with a nail? I have never seen anyone that was able to drive nails in cast iron. I guess I just am not catching what all the excitement is about.

Oh good grief no. I was worried about a big scratch/gough and a burr that would have to be cleared up.

ray hampton
03-04-2011, 12:17 PM
a big scratch, IS THAT ALL , I would worry that the nail might
crack the cast iron table