PDA

View Full Version : I'm baaaack...

David DeCristoforo
03-02-2011, 7:44 PM
Hey all. Just thought I should pop in and say hello. Man, there has been so much nice stuff posted in the last month, I hardly know where to start! I'm pretty much recovered from the move and back at the lathe as time allows so I should have some new stuff soon. One really nice thing is that my wife and I got away for a bit after we got done moving. Went down to the Pacific Grove / Carmel area for her nevermindtheyearth HS reunion. While she was spending time with her old friends, my daughter and I went gallery hopping and I found a really nice gallery that wants to show my turnings. Now I'm faced with the conundrum of trying to price them! I can tell you this much for certain... it's way easier to make this stuff than it is to figure out what it should sell for!

Cathy Schaewe
03-02-2011, 8:20 PM
That's really neat! I suspect they'll be very popular ...

Roger Chandler
03-02-2011, 8:22 PM
Congrats on the gallery accepting your work David! That is significant!

David E Keller
03-02-2011, 8:25 PM
Welcome back and congrats on the gallery! Now your shop is a studio, and you are an arteest!

John Keeton
David, no doubt in my mind that you will be successful in selling your turnings!! Glad you got the move done, and back at the lathe!

Mark Hubl
Welcome back Double D. Good luck at the gallery.

Michael James
03-02-2011, 9:04 PM
Congrats all around... back in the day Carmel was very trendy so cal. So, my guesstimate would be reasonable market price x 2. "If you have to question the price, you can't afford it!"

Richard Madden
03-02-2011, 9:08 PM
Good that you are back, and good luck with the gallery. Can I ask what kind of cut the gallery wants? I was asked to put some of my work in a shop (not a gallery) and they wanted 57%!!!!!! I gave them a "thanks, but no thanks".

Dick Wilson
03-02-2011, 9:45 PM
Dave, I have work in galleries and they get 40%. I suspect that is a very good deal compared to other areas. In CA, ??? You might want to check with Jamie Donaldson on Wood Central. He might have a better handle on the market your gallery is in.

Harry Robinette
03-02-2011, 10:00 PM
David
Glad to see the move went good, man I hate to move. Hope things work out with the galley, you have to make up your own mind as to what you'll take for your turnings.Just don't under cut the price of what you do, cause your stuff is all outstanding work.
Harry

Bernie Weishapl
03-02-2011, 10:26 PM
Welcome back David and congrats on the gallery.

Curt Fuller
03-02-2011, 10:51 PM
Hey there David, glad to see you're back. And looking forward to seeing what you're turning. Congrats on the gallery, and hope you make some sales.

Brian Effinger
03-02-2011, 10:55 PM
Welcome back Double D. :) And congratulations on the gallery - I am sure you will do well.

Dan Forman
03-03-2011, 3:16 AM
Congrat's on finding a gallery, bet it feels good to have the move out of the way.

Dan

Steve Schlumpf
03-03-2011, 7:54 AM
it's way easier to make this stuff than it is to figure out what it should sell for!

Man... ain't that the truth!

Welcome back! Glad to hear that the move is over and life can return to normal for you! Looking forward to seeing some new turnings real soon!

Congrats on getting into the gallery! Carmel is a great location - hope you do well!

bob svoboda
03-03-2011, 9:48 AM
Welcome back and add my congratulations to the others for your gallery connection. I'm sure you will do very well. Bet you're glad to be done with that moving stuff!

Tim Thiebaut
03-03-2011, 12:22 PM
Welcome back David...

Faust M. Ruggiero
03-03-2011, 12:54 PM
David,
Don't be shy about pricing for that neck of the woods. Close to Carmel people won't even look if the price is too cheap. They'll think it is just a wooden turning instead of art. Go for the big numbers. All anyone can say is "no".
faust

Jim Burr
03-03-2011, 12:59 PM
Hey DD!! Sorry we couldn't meet over there, I only worked one day and daughter time should not.be interupted by dusty crusty turning talk!! Gratz for a great trip!

David DeCristoforo
03-03-2011, 6:01 PM
Thanx all for the welcome! The gallery thing is exciting but I am struggling with the pricing thing. I've talked to some gallery owners in my area and have been surprised at how high their suggested prices are. I would love to get them to show my stuff but they don't show this kind of work... mostly focused on paintings. I don't know where it will land but I have been discussing it with the PG gallery guy and am waiting to hear back from him. Meanwhile....

Leo Van Der Loo
03-04-2011, 12:54 AM
David I wondered where you were, good to have you back, I let LOML do the pricing, She's much better at it than I ;^-))

Rick Markham
03-04-2011, 2:48 AM
Congrats David! Don't sell yourself short on your work, it will all work out! Moving is one of my least favorite things in life... next to tiling. You got that part out of the way.