PDA

View Full Version : What to do with a cabriole leg?

Brett Robson
03-02-2011, 5:30 PM
So back around Christmas, I was tinkering around my shop, bored really and looking for some inspiration. I figured learning to make a cabriole leg sounded fun so I glued up some poplar and went at it.

That one leg came out pretty good considering it was my first attempt. After laying the completed leg on my bench and looking at it for a week or so all lonesome and forlorn, I decided it would be a shame to toss it out.

Back to my stack of poplar and this is what I knocked together to keep that one leg company.

The whole thing is poplar. I know, I know what you're thinking. "Who the heck builds a lowboy out of poplar?" Well, I did. It was all I had on hand and if I'd made it out of cherry or mahogany it wouldn't have matched my one orphan poplar leg now would it? http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon7.png

The design draws inspiration from several much nicer pieces I've seen posted here. I used the basic dimensions from the lowboy plan Fine Woodworking has available on their website.

The drawers are through dovetailed with an applied front to keep the finishing easier. I cut them on the table saw and band saw. They look ok I guess - I'm not good enough to hand cut them yet.

I had to buy some carving chisels, then learn how to use them to carve the shell. Thanks to Mr. Henderson's tutorial on shell carving which got a ham-fisted carver like me all learned up!

The finish is Varathane American Walnut sealed with some Seal-Coat. Next I glazed it with some Minwax Mahogany gel stain to even out the color followed by 4 coats of Waterlox original.

Comments or suggestions always welcomed!

Jim Rimmer
03-02-2011, 9:53 PM
That is a really nice piece. Which leg was it? :D

Bret Duffin
03-02-2011, 10:19 PM
Looks good. I don't think I've ever seen poplar all satined and finished like that. You obviously have some talent if this is your first attempt at cabriole legs.

Bret

Jeff Monson
03-03-2011, 4:36 PM
Wow Brett, thats the nicest poplar project I've seen yet! Great finish and build quality.

Pat Barry
03-03-2011, 4:55 PM
The result is beautiful - Congratulations! How is that poplar going to hold up with time is my only question - Is it more likely to break in the ankle area than a harder wood?

Joseph D'Orazio
03-03-2011, 8:25 PM
Dirty little secret, I love the way poplar looks. I've always thought it beautiful. I too have wondered how it would hold up as furniture. Poplar drawers seem to do well.

Brett Robson
03-03-2011, 8:28 PM
The result is beautiful - Congratulations! How is that poplar going to hold up with time is my only question - Is it more likely to break in the ankle area than a harder wood?

That's a valid question, but as I pretty much built this on a whim if something breaks sometime down the road I won't be too heartbroken. The completed piece probably weighs 40lbs maybe? Absent someone kicking or slamming something into a leg I doubt it's likely to break on it's own accord.

Bob Glenn
03-03-2011, 9:27 PM
Pat, that's really nice. I love poplar. It takes paint and stain well and is a joy to work with especially with hand tools. Great job!

Larry Edgerton
03-05-2011, 9:03 AM
Very nice indeed!

I use a lot of poplar, and it is a lot tougher than it gets credit for. Nice work.

Jim Becker
03-06-2011, 2:26 PM
I always chuckle at the occasional unkind comments about poplar that sometimes appear in these forums and your project is exactly why...it's a versatile, economical and enjoyable species to work with and there is a whole lot of really nice antique furniture out there made from it, too. (Tulip/Yellow) Poplar ain't just for paint grade work! Bravo on your project! Well done.

As an aside, I have another 1500 bf of poplar stacked out back and soon to come into shop storage as soon as I put up the new racks in the upstairs of the building. :)

Brett Robson
03-06-2011, 10:30 PM
Thanks for all the positive feedback guys! I find myself inspired to make another piece. Anyone for a poplar highboy? http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon7.png

Ken Fitzgerald
03-06-2011, 10:37 PM
Brett,

I really don't care if it's poplar or not, it's a great looking piece! Well done!

Joseph D'Orazio
03-07-2011, 8:04 AM
Thanks for all the positive feedback guys! I find myself inspired to make another piece. Anyone for a poplar highboy? http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon7.png
Please do a highboy. If you wouldnt mind, do an in progress thread. A journal if you will. I will subscribe.

Robby Tacheny
03-08-2011, 9:14 AM
On the grounds at the Nashville Zoo there is a historic mansion that belonged to the family who set aside the land for the Zoo. All of the doors in the house are made out of Poplar and are stained and faux-grained to look like a different type of wood. They are beautiful and have lasted 100+ years. So I think if not abused, your poplar piece will last for many years.

Dennis French
03-17-2011, 7:10 PM
Beautiful job, Brett. I never would have guessed that it was poplar. Looks like a terrific job on the finish!

gary Zimmel
03-17-2011, 9:17 PM
Real, real nice work on the lowboy Brett. When's the highboy going to be started... You know we all love the build threads.

Brett Robson
03-17-2011, 10:36 PM
Hopefully pretty soon, once I decide on a design. As much as I'd love to annoy some here by building it out of poplar, I broke down and ordered a stack of cherry for the next one!